Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 PM

30 posts, read 98,531 times

Advertisements

I am looking to find historical data for real estate transactions (single family resells is what I am interested in) that is broken down by zip code or neighborhood, or ??? Ideally, I'd have a selling price, a date, an address, and the goodies such as sq. ft, # beds, # bath, etc...

I haven't seen any links from the city of Austin or Travis County (I'll admit I haven't looked too hard...).

Does that exist in Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,133,417 times
You'll never find sold price, that is not public information in Texas.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM

326 posts, read 765,689 times
I think real estate agents have access to those info.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,133,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
I think real estate agents have access to those info.
Yes they do, but a licensed and restricted group of people does not equal public!

You can get the information the OP wanted with hard digging at the county courthouse and a friend with a RE license but there is no one-stop shop for all that info. Trulia and Zillow are full inaccuracies when it comes to Texas.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,482,051 times
The tax valuations are not an accurate source in Texas. Non-disclosure state means that even the tax man does not have the right to the sold price of a home unless the buyer chooses to tell him. You can sometimes find mortgage information for past sales/refinances on the tax records, but not the sold prices. Also, you might find number of bathrooms, probably not number of bedrooms, and none of the rest of the information that actually explains why the houses sold for what they did.

That's one reason that Zillow can be off by as much as $100,000 (yes, I've seen it) on a $400-500,000 sale.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:17 PM

589 posts, read 1,815,306 times
Why do people put up with this?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,590,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Why do people put up with this?
Which 'this'?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,482,051 times
Yes, the "this" that expects all private information to be readily available to anyone who's curious, or non-disclosure states where your private information isn't up for grabs, or Zillow's zestimates being way out of whack (heck, even they say that if they have 50% accuracy, period, not just in Texas, they're happy!). Which of those are you referring to?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 PM

30 posts, read 98,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, the "this" that expects all private information to be readily available to anyone who's curious, or non-disclosure states where your private information isn't up for grabs, or Zillow's zestimates being way out of whack (heck, even they say that if they have 50% accuracy, period, not just in Texas, they're happy!). Which of those are you referring to?
Well I can't speak to what XLLX meant by "this", but my "this" is all of the above. I'll admit I've done my share of internet snooping on friends/colleagues to find out how much they paid for their houses , but my real gripe is that it leaves the public in the dark making it difficult to make an informed decision on when/where to buy a house.

I'll probably get a bunch of flack for saying this, but my experience leaves me constantly doubting my real estate agents integrity... There is always an inherent conflict of interest in the relationship, no matter what anyone says about building trust, long term/repeat business/referrals etc. I've never heard a realtor say that now is not the time to buy... and there have been plenty of times when that is not true. (What's the quote? "its hard to make one believe something when their livelihood depends on not believing it" ???)

Anyways, I believe openness in transactions leads to a healthier market, but here I am in Texas, and the laws are what they are (not my bone to pick), so thanks for all the responses. I was kind of figuring out the non-disclosureness of my new state on my own, its good to get that part settled...

So, kind of a change in the discussion... I've been told and have read that Austin has more or less escaped the boom/bust that most of the rest of the country suffered and prices have slowly but steadily climbed upward. I am currently renting in Bryker Woods, and seeing the prices of my immediate surroundings, am wondering if that general trend applies to where I live. Houses seem quite overpriced from what I am used to (Portland area). I am specifically wondering if the close-in neighborhoods have experienced (or are currently experiencing) a sudden surge in price... Any thoughts from the greater community about this one? Thanks...

Old 08-27-2011, 06:05 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,589,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaboshi View Post
I am currently renting in Bryker Woods, and seeing the prices of my immediate surroundings, am wondering if that general trend applies to where I live. Houses seem quite overpriced from what I am used to (Portland area). I am specifically wondering if the close-in neighborhoods have experienced (or are currently experiencing) a sudden surge in price... Any thoughts from the greater community about this one? Thanks...
Central Texas has been experiencing considerable population growth for some time now and it shows no sign of of slowing. People just like you and many of us were drawn here from all over the country by the dream of decent weather, reasonable prices in the suburbs and a better economy than many states. However, while we can sprawl infinitely in all directions, the land close in to the center of town is mostly built up. Then you consider that many families think much the same that you do--they want the *dream* of a house the family can fit comfortably in, no commute and a yard, rather than make do with a smaller apartment with little space or a longer drive from the suburbs. So the houses close in to the center of town that offer all that obviously go for a premium.

Basically, you want the same thing everyone wants--the return of more affordable prices that existed decades ago--but that isn't a reality any more. However, Austin is still a nice place to live and still offers options. You can move out to the suburbs and afford something larger. You can move to one of the up and coming neighborhoods in a part of town that was once shied away from. You can stay closer in and live in something smaller. You can readjust your budget to afford something larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin