Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,327,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
In order to make reclaimed water available to residential users, it would require the construction of an extensive distribution system, that just isn't feasible for most locations or for small quantity residential users. So they focus on larger commercial customers who are close to the existing distribution lines.
So, how do the larger commercial customers get it? I'd be interested to know, and happy to show up in a pick up and barrels right next to the golf course trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:20 AM

113 posts, read 239,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capturing View Post
Reclaimed water and grey water are not at all the same thing. Reclaimed water has been filtered and cleaned to a large degree, but not as much as drinking water. Grey water can still be quite contaminated.

In order to make reclaimed water available to residential users, it would require the construction of an extensive distribution system, that just isn't feasible for most locations or for small quantity residential users. So they focus on larger commercial customers who are close to the existing distribution lines.
On a similar note I've read about how the modern Golf courses utilize a combination of greywater and water collection ponds systems but I'm sure they've spent a pretty penny engineering something of that magnitude. It's quite amazing how the newer courses are hydro efficient.

I'm surprised that some of our golfers didn't have any insight in the on the private courses?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:00 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
So, how do the larger commercial customers get it? I'd be interested to know, and happy to show up in a pick up and barrels right next to the golf course trucks.
Here is general information on the Reclaimed Water system. City of Austin - (IWRI) Water Resources Initiatives

What you have to do to apply for it. City of Austin - OBTAINING RECLAIMED WATER SERVICE

System Map. http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/dow.../systemmap.pdf

The website mentions that:
Quote:
Reclaimed water from these plants provides a non-potable water supply to applicable commercial, industrial, institutional, and residential users in the City.
So apparently in some situations it can be made available to residential users. I imagine you have to be very close to the existing reclaimed water distribution route and you have to pay for whatever cost is involved in extending service lines to your property.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I honestly believe Texas needs to start thinking about building a pipeline from the MS River to central Texas. The pipeline could dump right into Lake Travis and keep it filled up to the top year round.

Louisiana is a cash strapped state and they would gladly sell the water rights. New Orleans, for instance, uses the MS River as a water supply. This was an ingenious idea. They are going through the same drought we are, to a lesser degree, and the flooding in the Midwest was occurring when they were in a drought. So they had super high river levels during a drought and that's where they get their drinking water. They will never run out of water.

We could build a giant pipeline the same way AZ did to supply Phoenix and how CA did to supply LA. But we would need to begin building it right now.

The initial pipeline could dump directly into Lake Travis and then we could build feeder lines that go up to Dallas, down to San Antonio/Houston.

With this, rice farmers would be satisfied, boat owners and marina operators on Lake Travis would be satisfied, and we would have water for years to come.

This seriously needs to be investigated.
This was proposed by some Texans decades ago, and the yankee states said "NO WAY!"

But I agree, build it yesterday.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:51 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,360,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
From: Water Footprint Calculator - National Geographic Every Drop Counts! We live in a watery world, with the average American lifestyle fueled by nearly 2,000 gallons of H2O a day. What may come as a surprise is that very little of that—only five percent—runs through toilets, taps, and garden hoses at home. Nearly 95 percent of your water footprint is hidden in the food you eat, energy you use, products you buy, and services you rely on. Find out your water footprint, then pledge to dry it out, joining other nationalgeographic.com users who have already committed to saving thousands of gallons. The more we save, the more water we leave for healthy ecosystems and a sustainable future. Water-saving facts and tips Water calculator sources and credits
Well, I guess we could always go back to living like the first pioneers.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedtx View Post
On a similar note I've read about how the modern Golf courses utilize a combination of greywater and water collection ponds systems but I'm sure they've spent a pretty penny engineering something of that magnitude. It's quite amazing how the newer courses are hydro efficient.

I'm surprised that some of our golfers didn't have any insight in the on the private courses?
I'm sorry- maybe I'm not seeing it- but I really have to wonder how any golf course on natural grass can be "hydro efficient". Unless the whole thing is watered with greywater.....couldn't that water be used somewhere else, for say....farming?

Old 08-31-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Here is general information on the Reclaimed Water system. City of Austin - (IWRI) Water Resources Initiatives

What you have to do to apply for it. City of Austin - OBTAINING RECLAIMED WATER SERVICE

System Map. http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/dow.../systemmap.pdf

The website mentions that: So apparently in some situations it can be made available to residential users. I imagine you have to be very close to the existing reclaimed water distribution route and you have to pay for whatever cost is involved in extending service lines to your property.
I did call the number, and the nice woman on the other end told me that this was only for commercial customers. She referred me to the website that states: The UT Main Project will expand the pipe network in the central part of Austin. In addition to serving the University of Texas, the UT Main has the potential to serve churches, schools, parks, businesses, shopping centers, apartments, and developments along the alignment.
So....this whole scheme seems to be set up for businesses.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,680 times
That is crazy. Austin is a semi arid desert climate. I have been here 8 years and 6 of the 8 years have been in extreme droughts. This part of the country needs to figure out more effective ways of getting water to its residents, similar to how cities like El Paso, Phoenix, and Tucson. And certainly, more people need to be xerescaping (sp??) their yards. It is simply too dry in this part of the country for most grass to grow. Start planting more cactus, etc.

Until my HOA allows me to put rock in my yard, i will continue to water as much as it takes to maintain a somewhat green yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedtx View Post
In this time of extreme drought in our region, I'm very concerned about the future of our resources, specifically our water supply. With that in mind conservation is essential in order to preserve this precious resource.

Personally I'd rather sadly watch my lawn turn into dust with the thought I'm doing my part to ensure that our neighbors and families have this basic staple that is essential to our everyday life.

I realize that there are those who work tirelessly to ensure a beautiful yard, this is appreciated but do we really understand the long term effects should this drought continue for an extended period?

We are very fortunate to live in a community where everyone is awesome and chatting with my neighbors for the most part, most of us (with the exception of one person that says $300 or more of water is his right) are doing our part and watching our yard turn to dust with the hope that we making a difference for our friends in neighbors.

In my search for answers I wanted some perspective from an expert in land management, agriculture, as to how approach the future. One simple question came to mind. What next?????

One expert shared these thoughts:

* It's not a simple question because depending on your soil condition and grass type there is no one size fits all treatment.

*After an extended period of drought, specifically nearly 2 years of moisture depletion, soil conditions change, Ph levels, acidity, clay density, a soils ability to recover these are not effected by watering occasionally there are certain minerals that act as soil nutrients that are replenished naturally with rainwater.

*After a lengthy period of multiple 100 plus degree days the extreme heat is taking its toll on even well established root systems, for lawns that already have been damaged severely watering at this point is like giving medicine to a dead man it serves no purpose.

What are your thoughts for the future??????

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,004,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
This was proposed by some Texans decades ago, and the yankee states said "NO WAY!"

But I agree, build it yesterday.

Also was proposed to divert our Great Lakes, (fresh water source). Anywho...here is a link to everything water.
Great Lakes Water Wars

This one concerning Texas:http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sta...m#ogallalalink

Old 09-01-2011, 04:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Until my HOA allows me to put rock in my yard, i will continue to water as much as it takes to maintain a somewhat green yard.
Your utility company thanks you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin