Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:23 PM

9 posts, read 22,926 times

Advertisements

I just turned 50, divorced 5 years ago and was looking at Austin as a possible place to move... currently in New Jersey. Using Google maps I've been wandering the streets of Austin for a few weeks.

I'm trying to figure out where (what neighborhood) would be best for me... On the one hand I don't need much space.. a 2 bedroom condo would be fine... One of the reasons I'm thinking about Austin is that I've been taking guitar lessons for a year and have decided that that will be my main hobby as I get older... So with Austin being the "music capitol of the world" I'm thinking there would be plenty to keep me motivated....

I've looked at some small houses in South Austin off Manchaca near Slaughter Creek and Mercado Heights... nice and small and tight ... just enough to take care of... and also at some condos in North Austin near the North Austin Civic Association near West Braker Lane...

Both of those areas are about the same distance from downtown.. about 11 miles... Could somebody compare and contrast those two areas?
They look like they are similar but its tough to tell from a Google street view...

Another question I have is for someone looking to ultimately meet someone would either area be better than another.... I was thinking about a small condo downtown because because its closer to the center of activity and the live music areas ... but it might not matter... as one could just as esily meet somebody in a meetup or some other organized event....

I guess I'm looking to be told that I would be better off getting a little more space outside of the downtown area than to move downtown to be closer to the social spots....

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 05:51 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,066,732 times
Well, neither is really a walkable area to anything interesting. I'm personally partial to South Austin but Braker would have easy access to Mopac, the Arbotertum area, real close to the Domain, etc. But it's a mixed industrial, retail, residential and low rent area (especially the further east from Mopac you go).

Manchaca/Slaughter area is mostly residential. Easy enough drive up to downtown. Not as many sketchy areas to stumble upon.

But if your questions is, which geographic location will provide the highest probablity of meeting your soul mate, I can't really say either has the edge over the other. Maybe others can think of something.

Good luck.

Steve

Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Thank you for the reply.... Yes, thats what that section of North Austin looked liked... residential sprinkled with some industrial parks...

On one of the other posts it mentioned the river rule... which says that it is much better to work and live on the same side of the river as opposed to having to commute across the river to get to work.... Is this pretty much the case...?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:18 PM

291 posts, read 801,147 times
That might have been me with the "river rule" and yes, I would always want to live on the same side of the river that I worked. Someone gave me that advice before I moved to Austin some 26 years ago and I have thanked them every day. I used to live near the Braker area you mentioned for 25 years, and worked in the University area. I traveled I35 north of the river every workday. It was easy peasy to get to work and home. I won't lie and say traffic was never bad, but it was never AS bad as having to go south to cross the river twice a day. That area of Braker is a good geographic location, close to I35, Mopac and 183. The area is lower middle class working people and I enjoyed living there. We only moved this past year to a place with more land and a bit further out away from "town".

Old 08-16-2011, 08:08 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,066,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobeTransplanted View Post
On one of the other posts it mentioned the river rule... which says that it is much better to work and live on the same side of the river as opposed to having to commute across the river to get to work.... Is this pretty much the case...?
No, sorry, I'm going to have to call BS on that one. I've never heard that except from you and the other poster. I've lived in Austin since 1985. The river (Town Lake aka Lake Lady Bird) doesn't represent anything relevant transportation-wise. We drive on roads. The lake could just as well be a ravine, or a park, a hill or swamp land and it wouldn't matter. Show me some data supporting a "crossing a river is bad" supposition.

I'd focus more on proximity to the main arterial thoroughfares and, if you're game, public transportation and bike lane routes to and from your most frequented destinations and home. Google maps is indifferent to rivers also and will help you see the various travel times between different spots.

Steve

Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Thank you!

The one thing I'm starting to realize is that this area like Braker and even the area I was looking at in South Austin ... the houses are very similar to neighborhoods in New Jersey... How much of the Austin "flavor" or mystique can one feel if they live in these areas which are about 11 miles from downtown...?

I guess I'm asking ... if someone is moving to Austin from out of state (NJ) because of what they have heard about how great Austin is... (and from several opinions on this forum ... I have heard that the downtown area is where the Austin aura emanates from...unlike other cities where downtown is bland and the neighborhoods are where the local flavor is...

..... is someone going to feel the Austin vibe living 11 miles out of downtown in a house that is reminiscent of what they left in NJ...?? I know that you can't really answer that because everybody is different.. but the thought crossed my mind....

I guess its that age old problem of that if one wants the downtown vibe be prepared to pay a lot more for a lot less space closer to downtown...

Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,115,098 times
I live very central and cross the river multiple times a day. I cross it each school year morning going north. It doesn't really impact traffic, traffic eases when the upper/lower deck split occurs (adding a lane) and as traffic exits to downtown and UT.

I do love living central and close to I-35 and with multiple ways to cross town on a variety of thorough fares. If you live close enough in, the river is not much of an obstacle.

Regarding the "vibe", you need to visit and get a first hand feel for the area, google maps can only tell you so much. good luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
No, sorry, I'm going to have to call BS on that one. I've never heard that except from you and the other poster. I've lived in Austin since 1985. The river (Town Lake aka Lake Lady Bird) doesn't represent anything relevant transportation-wise. We drive on roads. The lake could just as well be a ravine, or a park, a hill or swamp land and it wouldn't matter. Show me some data supporting a "crossing a river is bad" supposition.

I'd focus more on proximity to the main arterial thoroughfares and, if you're game, public transportation and bike lane routes to and from your most frequented destinations and home. Google maps is indifferent to rivers also and will help you see the various travel times between different spots.

Steve

You are right... the fact that its a river is just an arbitrary geographic feature... it could be the town dump... it doesn't matter ...

...the point was if one lives in North Austin and has to take 35 south to cross over the "town dump" to get to South Austin (distance aside) the amount of traffic that one finds themselves in is a lot more than if one worked and lived on the north side of Austin....not having to go passed downtown...

... I imagine the same would be true if one lived and worked on the south side... if you don't have to come passed downtown one is going to hit less traffic....

Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I live very central and cross the river multiple times a day. I cross it each school year morning going north. It doesn't really impact traffic, traffic eases when the upper/lower deck split occurs (adding a lane) and as traffic exits to downtown and UT.

I do love living central and close to I-35 and with multiple ways to cross town on a variety of thorough fares. If you live close enough in, the river is not much of an obstacle.

Regarding the "vibe", you need to visit and get a first hand feel for the area, google maps can only tell you so much. good luck!

Where is this horrendous traffic that people on this forum talk about? Do they just mean regular rush hour traffic on 35 and 1... thats to be expected..

Old 08-16-2011, 08:33 PM

291 posts, read 801,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
Well, it may be BS to you but not to me. I head out north of the river every workday on I35 and I zip up the road north, while the traffic going south (crossing the river) is at a stop or best at a crawl, usually clear up to 290 or 183. Sorry I call BS on your BS - I would NEVER want to cross the river twice a day. And yes, it WAS told to me as the RIVER RULE back in the 80's when traffic wasn't nearly as bad as it is now. It may be BS in your world, but not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin