Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Let me try to answer your questions.

Eepstein, I was asking for your sources for your facts so that they can be proven true. You merely restated them and said you believe they are true. I know you believe they are true. Prove why they are.

Asking me whether I read CNN or telling me to look in an HEB parking lot are not sources for nationwide statistics. Looking in a single parking lot does not tell me how many pickup trucks are registered in Billings, Montana.

Anecdotal evidence is not the same as nationwide statistics. You need to lay the predicate that "it seems like..." before stating your opinions rather than claiming them as facts. Big difference and very misleading for out-of-towners who come here seeking assistance.

-WBJ
P.S. My asking for sources is not an indication that I have or haven't lived somewhere. I spent a decade in Dallas and a decade outside the state of Texas. I promise those places ask for sources too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
True. It's a city for the rich and also a city for the creative class, there's really nothing wrong with that at all. I don't think they're making it out more important than it actually is though. I really don't get that idea. How can someone make anything more important than it actually is by building "shiny skyscrapers"? Maybe they're just trying to promote it as a nice and attractive city with a defining skyline, rather than "making it more important than it actually is".
Perhaps Austin is seeking out the NYC model. To hell with sprawl - let's densify and diversify our city core and make it our crown jewel, I don't find anything wrong with that either. If given the choice moving forward, it seems others would prefer the NYC model over the LA model:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...in-2050-a.html

I wish Austin to resemble a vibrant urban city - San Antonio can have the sprawl.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Perhaps Austin is seeking out the NYC model. To hell with sprawl - let's densify and diversify our city core and make it our crown jewel, I don't find anything wrong with that either. If given the choice moving forward, it seems others would prefer the NYC model over the LA model:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...in-2050-a.html

I wish Austin to resemble a vibrant urban city - San Antonio can have the sprawl.
I can't help but wonder what will happen to oil prices when 1.1 billion Chinese and 1.3 billion Indians all get one car per person like the U.S. desires/has. I should think cities with endless sprawl will face difficulty.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,223 times
Quote:
* Name a less diverse large city in Texas (a major city with MORE than 65% white)
The CITY of Austin per the 2010 Census is 48.7% white .... not sure where you are getting your 65% figure from unless you are using the whole metro area, not just the city. If that's what you are doing its not an apples to apples comparison as Austin doesn't really have any urban style sprawled suburbs but Dallas & Houston are surrounded by them.

Quote:
* Please name all professional sports teams within metro Austin
The University of Texas Longhorns

Honestly, if living in a city with a pro sports team was important to you why did you choose Austin? Its not like they had teams in the past & lost them.

Quote:
* With the exception of Phoenix and possibly Dallas and San Antonio, name a city with higher population than Austin that is hotter in the summer.
Las Vegas (though the city is slightly smaller the metro is bigger).

Quote:
Metro Austin has a higher percentage of large SUV's and pickup registrations than any other metro area in the country.
As someone who lives in an area where everyone has 2-3 4WD's in their driveway because they would never be able to leave their house for 6 months without them I find this hard to believe.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,396 times
eepstein: "It is true that Austin has a small gay population, but I have never heard anything positive about the overall gay tolerance in this city."
This is not an opinion, nor is it a fact; It is outright wrong. You absolutely have heard positive things, and you have heard many of them right here on this board - from gays, from people who have gay friends and relatives, and from links to articles in gay-oriented publications. And you were in these discussions here, so to say that you've never heard positive things about gay tolerance in Austin is either having a bad memory or flatout lying. I have a feeling I know which of those two apply. If you had said, "Based on what a lot of my friends told me, I don't think Austin is all that tolerant of gays", that would be presented as your opinion, which you have every right to hold. But when you say, "I have never heard anything positive about the overall gay tolerance in this city", you're saying that it's a fact that you've never heard that, and that is simply not true. And it's not just semantics here - one is presented as an opinion; one is presented as a fact, even though you already know that it's untrue.

======

Your initial posting said “metro Austin has a higher percentage of large SUV's and pickup registrations than any other metro area in the country.” For proof, you talked about surrounding counties as they related to the state. (“Per capita, the counties of Williamson, Hays, and Bastrop (as part of a metro area) had more registered personal vehicles weighing over 2 tons than any other county as part of a major metro area in the state.”) Big difference, isn’t there?

======

And since now it seems that one line of "proof" you offer for everything is to say that if someone disagrees with you or asks you for sources, then they aren't as well-travelled as you and haven't been exposed to as many cities as you, I lived in Boston for about 35 years, San Francisco for about 16, and now Austin for about 4 years. Not that that should matter, though, since I don't see why it's really important who lived where and for how long when someone is asking you to back up your alleged "facts".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin