Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 PM

532 posts, read 1,400,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin944 View Post
... There is a white guy in the neighborhood who rides around on a bike wearing a really skimpy thong, and I'm sure he gets excessively noticed, but everyone seems to tolerate him. But that kind of tolerance doesn't necessarily translate into a "hey, let's get to know each other" situation. I'm not sure most people would really want to know why the thong guy does what he does.
I might be totally off with this, but isn't the bike-riding thong guy someone who posts here pretty regularly? Or are there a few different bike-riding thong guys in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,066,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
I might be totally off with this, but isn't the bike-riding thong guy someone who posts here pretty regularly? Or are there a few different bike-riding thong guys in the city?

I've seen him around Town Lake on a cruiser bike. He's really tan, almost leathery with a gold lamé thong. He looks like he doesn't have a care in the world. I think the guy you're referring to the Russell Brand stunt double known as "AchtungPV".

Last edited by jobert; 07-08-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 12:34 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,066,711 times
Actually, he does.. my bad:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/2805337-post7.html

Last edited by jobert; 07-08-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,213,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post

I think that the C-D poster is the thong guy of SW Austin, I think that there is at least one other bike riding thong guy in Austin!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:38 PM

15 posts, read 26,652 times
OOOOOOH, looking forward to meeting these "thong guys"!!!

Now, just to get back on to topic
I'm still considering French Place....so when I read a post in another thread that says "xxx might not be as notorious as East of I-35", where exactly are they referring to in terms of "East"? Is it near French Place/Cherrywood?
thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 PM

152 posts, read 351,167 times
Trulia has a nice search feature for comparing rental prices in different neighborhoods. Here's a search based on 78703, which includes Clarksville. I searched rentals in 78703 that are single-family houses or townhouses in price range $0-2500 to obtain this search:
78703 Apartments For Rent and other 78703 Rentals — Trulia.com
The search can be further tweaked for numbers of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. I have a condo at the southwest corner of downtown, just across Lamar from Clarksville, and I can vouch that the area is very walkable and close to nice restaurants, coffee shops, shopping, Lady Bird Lake, Zilker Park, and some great swimming (Barton Springs pool and Deep Eddy pool). Clarksville is indeed hilly and not fully outfitted with sidewalks, but people walk anyway. For groceries, Whole Foods is nearby (6th and Lamar) and Randalls is not too far (Exposition and Lake Austin Blvd) and either can be reached by bus. There are business districts (with shops, restaurants, etc) on West 6th and on West Lynn.

For French Place/Cherrywood you can do a search based on 78722. Rents are definitely cheaper:
78722 Apartments For Rent and other 78722 Rentals — Trulia.com

You can get a walkability score for any address of interest from this website:
http://www.walkscore.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonite View Post
I'm still considering French Place....so when I read a post in another thread that says "xxx might not be as notorious as East of I-35", where exactly are they referring to in terms of "East"? Is it near French Place/Cherrywood?
thanks
People who are pessimistic about "East of I-35" would include French Place/Cherrywood in the area they're pessimistic about, but how pessimistic one should actually be is a separate and controversial question. There is no substitute for going there yourself and looking around at various times of day on different days to get your own sense. You can also use the streetview feature of maps.google.com to take a virtual walk and see, at least, what the neighborhood looks like. The European trend of having one's house blurred out from streetview due to privacy concerns has not caught on on this side of the Atlantic, so you should be able to see any part of Austin that has coverage. The city of Austin also has a website that incorporates CrimeViewer to provide an interactive map showing where crimes have occurred:
City of Austin - Crime Information

As long as you're considering French Place, you might consider Hyde Park:
http://www.austinhydepark.org/
The business district (near 43rd and Duval) has coffee shops, restaurants, and a small grocery, and Hancock Center is nearby. Rents will be considerably higher than in French Place, but if the reason for your interest in French Place is to be north of downtown and UT, Hyde Park might be of interest. I have to confess that Hyde Park is one of my favorite places in Austin:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/9901157-post6.html

Last edited by AustinExPat; 07-10-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 PM

2,271 posts, read 7,370,887 times
You really should check into Rosedale. It's a great family neighborhood and only about 10 minutes to downtown. Families hang out at Ramsey Park and are very active in the community. Most of the houses are older (40's) but many have been renovated. You can walk to many shops and restaurants, including Central Market, a really awesome grocery store.

Unfortunately, a lot of the rentals are usually done by owner and are not listed on the MLS. But, Rosedale has a Facebook site where you could post a housing request:

Rosedale Neighborhood Austin Texas - Wall | Facebook

They also keep in touch via a Yahoo email group:

Rosedale Yahoo Groups « Rosedale Neighborhood Association

That newsletter gives instructions on how to join the newsgroup so you can ask if there are any rentals available. It's a true neighborhood with caring people and lots of young families. Rents will probably start in your price range but probably won't be lower.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2011, 11:18 AM

8 posts, read 17,323 times
What industries are in Clarksville if any ?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:17 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,392,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyabouthorses View Post
What industries are in Clarksville if any ?
No industry to speak of. Its mostly residential with small offices, shops and restaurants located along the main arteries. There used to be a Clarksville Pottery shop but they have moved North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin