Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:20 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yam View Post
I also need to understand the code requirements. I had thought sheds could not have a permanent foundation? And I'm also confused about the setback requirements. I think every single shed I've seen in the neighborhood has been up against the property line, but apparently they're supposed to leave a 10 foot rear and 5 foot side setback?
I too was surprised by the setbacks, but I read it here. This is what the City website says about it:

City of Austin - Frequently asked Questions

Quote:
Do I need a permit for an accessory or portable building?

Any residential accessory building larger than 200 square feet will require a building plan review and permit. Regardless of size, any electrical, plumbing or mechanical work will require a permit and all building locations must honor zoning and subdivision set backs.

In SF-3 zoned property, 25-2-555 states that “The rear yard setback is five feet for an accessory building that is not more than one story or 15 feet in height."

You can find the basic zoning setbacks at this link. http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/developme...e_stds_res.pdf

Contact the Zoning Review Division, 512-974-2380 for more information. They are located on the 5th floor One Texas Center, 505 Barton Springs Road. The Permit Center, 512-974-2747 is located on the 3rd floor of the same building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Good news, I just found exceptions for Single Family Residences.

http://www.amlegal.com/austin%5Ftx/

Quote:

§ 25-2-553 SINGLE-FAMILY RESIDENCE LARGE LOT (SF-1) DISTRICT REGULATIONS.

In a single-family residence large lot (SF-1) district, the rear yard setback is five feet for an accessory building that is not more than one story or 15 feet in height.

§ 25-2-554 SINGLE-FAMILY RESIDENCE STANDARD LOT (SF-2) DISTRICT REGULATIONS.

In a single-family residence standard lot (SF-2) district, the rear yard setback is five feet for an accessory building that is not more than one story or 15 feet in height.

Source: Section 13-2-634(a); Ord. 990225-70; Ord. 031211-11.

§ 25-2-555 FAMILY RESIDENCE (SF-3) DISTRICT REGULATIONS.

(A) This section applies in a family residence (SF-3) district.

(B) The rear yard setback is five feet for an accessory building that is not more than one story or 15 feet in height.

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-13-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
First thing I would do is check out where (if any) your neighbors have sheds. Every single neighbor (albeit we are on a corner) has their shed constructed in violation of the setback. So, we put ours too close to the fence, too...it isn't like they can complain, now can they?
Quote:
They are branded "Tuff Shed" and are built on site.
We bought a Tuff Shed through either HD or Lowes, I forget, but they are extremely well made compared to most you see. They are also warrantied and built on site, which avoids a lot of the potential settling/shifting issues that can occur with pre-fab. The ones at Lowe's are 'special' ones theoretically just for Lowe's, but you can go directly to the manufacturer, not sure who that is locally. They have independent contractors assembly/build them on site. Anyway, after about 5 years of our Tuff Shed, I can highly recommend the quality so far. btw, they aren't cheap .

Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 PM

171 posts, read 422,605 times
We went with Sheds N More, and I was impressed with how quickly it went up, and with the quality of the build.

Price was a bit under Tuff Shed, and I got slightly better siding and roofing material, and custom paint to match the house.

The setback restrictions may be for slabbed construction. In theory, you can move an unslabbed shed.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyTX View Post
We went with Sheds N More, and I was impressed with how quickly it went up, and with the quality of the build.

Price was a bit under Tuff Shed, and I got slightly better siding and roofing material, and custom paint to match the house.

The setback restrictions may be for slabbed construction. In theory, you can move an unslabbed shed.
I don't think so. See the quote above from the FAQ question "Do I need a permit for an accessory or portable building?". It reads:

Quote:
Regardless of size, any electrical, plumbing or mechanical work will require a permit and all building locations must honor zoning and subdivision set backs.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:24 PM

171 posts, read 422,605 times
I'm assuming unslabbed means no electrical or plumbing. Is 'building location' defined anywhere in the law?

I'm not trying to be obstinate, but some of the questions asked when I had my last shed built (2' from the property line) implied that foundation was related to set backs. When I showed the salesman where I wanted it, he looked up, asked "no slab, correct?" and then said it'd be fine. I left with the impression that a slab would have to be farther back from the fence line, although it was never made explicit.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyTX View Post
I'm assuming unslabbed means no electrical or plumbing. Is 'building location' defined anywhere in the law?

I'm not trying to be obstinate, but some of the questions asked when I had my last shed built (2' from the property line) implied that foundation was related to set backs. When I showed the salesman where I wanted it, he looked up, asked "no slab, correct?" and then said it'd be fine. I left with the impression that a slab would have to be farther back from the fence line, although it was never made explicit.
No, an portable building with no slab could still have electrical or plumbing but that work would have to be done with a permit.

Building location is pretty self explanatory, I don't believe it has a separate definition.

Salesman will tell you whatever it takes to sell you their product. I would not count on them being knowledgeable about codes. I just saw a company put a shed up right against a neighbors fence in my area. His next door neighbor is pissed and may file a complaint. I see sheds placed less then 5' from the property lines all over town, but they do not comply with code and you could be required to move it if a neighbor objected.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:53 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Salesman will tell you whatever it takes to sell you their product. I would not count on them being knowledgeable about codes. I just saw a company put a shed up right against a neighbors fence in my area. His next door neighbor is pissed and may file a complaint. I see sheds placed less then 5' from the property lines all over town, but they do not comply with code and you could be required to move it if a neighbor objected.
This is exactly right! Annoyed neighbor may call in a code violation or a utility company may if the shed blocks their access to an easement. Code inspector can see it and cite it. Or it comes up when you sell the house. there is no statue of limitations, you can be forced to bring it to code whenever it is cited even if it is built by a previous owner.

In several different areas of Austin, an individual got annoyed at being cited for code violations and drove around their neighborhood with a lap top and made a code report for every single violation they could see (garage conversions, sheds, boats and RVs, etc.) It can happen. Just depends on how you want to play the odds.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,928 times
I am in a zone sf-3. Can one request a waiver of the setback requirement. My shed is one of those 'quick' assembly ones about 6' tall and I could, with effort, move it. I am concerned because I am getting new windows on my neighbors side in hopes of hiding their late night party noise. I have requested an inspection and I am trying to figure out what I really need to do and be concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin