Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,021,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
I would also add Mountain Laurel to that since they get quite large, are tolerant to our summer conditions, and produce lovely purple blooms in the springtime.

BUT - they are slow growing, and as they get bigger, they leave those seedpod thingies all over the ground.
They are beautiful, yes. We planted two of those at our house, and they've grown about 1-2 feet per year, and have done well in the open sun. It's an evergreen, with purple flowers in the spring that smell like bubble-gum. The pods have a soybean or peanut-like shape with bright shiny red seeds in the middle. These are dangerous for dogs to digest, from what I've heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
Mountain Laurels are great, because they require zero maintenance. I have seen them grow fast and slow -- it's like they just take what the central Texas weather throws at them. If the conditions are right, they'll spurt out new growth quickly. If things are dry, they'll maintain or concentrate on the root system.

I just wish those blooms would last a little longer.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 PM

481 posts, read 2,417,232 times
Fall of 2007 I planted 2 Lacebark Elm, Texas Red Oak and a Chinquapin Oak. They were around $300 - $400 each. The Oaks grow about 2 feet a year after the first year. The Elm grow 3 - 4 feet a year. Pics are when first planted in 2007 and today - 3 1/2 years later.

2007 - Lacebark Elm (by swing)

2011 - Lacebark Elm

2007 - Lacebark Elm (with stakes)

2011 - Lacebark Elm

2007 - Texas Red Oak (in foreground)

2011 - Texas Red Oak

Old 05-16-2011, 03:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyTX
I've heard that crape myrtle blossoms can stain cars, but that there is a white version that is non-staining.

A landscaper recommended a tall variety of yellow bells for our old house's western wall, but it wouldn't cover more than a one story, no roof. Anyone familiar with them?
Quote:
I LOVE yellowbells, but I (personally) haven't had much luck getting them to come back after the winter. Perhaps that was just this particularly harsh winter though.

Also - I'm not sure that they grow particularly fast, and I've never seen one any taller than about 6 feet. Maybe there are hybrids??
The Yellow Bells, Esperanza in our neighborhood never get more then 7' tall, and most of it dies back in winter, then have to grow back the next spring/summer before they reach that height again. The City Grow Green plant guide says it should be pruned down to 3' in winter and it grows 4'-8' tall. Be careful if you want a tall one because some varieties only get 3-4' tall. I bought two Esparanzas at Lowe's not realizing they were different varieties. One never gets very tall, the other grows to 7' or so. They get lots of seed pods on them in late summer, one website says the seeds are poisonous.

I see in several web images several are roof eave height.

esperanza plant - Google Search

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-16-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM

659 posts, read 1,760,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
Fall of 2007 I planted 2 Lacebark Elm, Texas Red Oak and a Chinquapin Oak. They were around $300 - $400 each. The Oaks grow about 2 feet a year after the first year. The Elm grow 3 - 4 feet a year. Pics are when first planted in 2007 and today - 3 1/2 years later.

2007 - Lacebark Elm (by swing)

2011 - Lacebark Elm

2007 - Lacebark Elm (with stakes)

2011 - Lacebark Elm

2007 - Texas Red Oak (in foreground)

2011 - Texas Red Oak
OK...

1. Your yard is freaking AWESOME!
2. GREAT pics of a good shade tree
3. How the eff do you get your grass that green??
4. How the eff do you keep your flowerbed/tree borders so crisp/clean?? It seems like the SECOND I clear a border/flowerbed - the weeds and bermuda grass just grow right back like they're taunting me. I've tried landscaping fabric stuff, digging WAY down and filling back up with bagged garden soil, bricks, metal edging - I got nothin'. It's a losing battle.

Sorry - Thread Hijacker!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM

481 posts, read 2,417,232 times
Thanks Austinitegirl for the great compliments. It's funny because I was thinking the yard didn't look great in the pics.

I get asked that a lot. When we bought the house in 2007 the previous owner never planted grass so the whole back yard was weeds. In 2008 my husband and I sodded with St. Augustine. Back-breaking work would be an understatement. We put down 6 pallets. I did that because it's super easy to keep St. Augustine out of flowers beds and my goal was to have a lot of shade and to me St. Augustine does the best in moderate shade.

My lawn program:

1. Mow - often - keeping it at 3 inches year round. Right now I'm mowing every 5 days.
2. Water - only once a week. Right now it's 1" of irrigation per week but when temps get consistently around 100 I'll up it to 1 1/4" a week.
3. Fertilize - Mid April & Mid October I put down Milorganite. I buy it at Lowes. It's organic so it doesn't burn.

4. How the eff do you keep your flowerbed/tree borders so crisp/clean??

You'll never win against Bermuda. I have it in the front yard. It's great grass if you have full sun and no flower beds. I've tried chemicals, barriers etc. Only thing that works is using a weed tool to dig up the root system which is easier when the soil is damp. Tedious task. I have a small front yard so it is manageable.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Very nice, mom o' 3!
I was going to show DW the tree pics, but I'm afraid she'll want me to make the yard look as good as yours!

We've got big honkin' Live Oaks and Cedar Elms in the back, so not as open as yours. Great seating area with your swing(s), especially with your tree filled out. We went with Sky Chairs hanging from the tree over the patio...our other seating area gets no shade(AND has an unused fire pit/bowl--guess we'll hope for a damp fall season).

I just might have to find a space for a Lacebark Elm!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
OK...

1. Your yard is freaking AWESOME!
2. GREAT pics of a good shade tree
4. How the eff do you keep your flowerbed/tree borders so crisp/clean?? It seems like the SECOND I clear a border/flowerbed - the weeds and bermuda grass just grow right back like they're taunting me. I've tried landscaping fabric stuff, digging WAY down and filling back up with bagged garden soil, bricks, metal edging - I got nothin'. It's a losing battle.

Sorry - Thread Hijacker!
I'll second these comments - that yard is awesome!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 PM

399 posts, read 1,803,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'll second these comments - that yard is awesome!
I third them!

And thanks so much for the great pictures. They helped a ton in getting a feel for the growth rates of the different trees.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
I just learned that it is still possible to buy saplings grown from the acorns of Austin's Treaty Oak. So I thought I would share that here.

- Texas Treaty Live Oak - The Historic Tree Nursery Store!

Quote:
Believed to be more than 500 years old, the Treaty Oak in Austin , Texas , is the lone survivor of the "Council Oaks." It was here that Stephen F. Austin is said to have signed the first boundry-line agreement between the Native Americans and the white settlers. Long before white settlement, Tejas, Apache and Comanche tribes revered the tree. Indian maidens would brew a "love tea" from the tender live oak leaves, believing that if they drank the tea while gazing at a full moon, their lovers would be true forever. If this ritual was performed while the tribe was at war, the warriors would safely return.
Read more about the Treaty Oak here: City of Austin - Austin Parks and Recreation Department - Treaty Oak History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin