Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 3,496 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and 2 kids will move to Austin to join me in May, so I need to rent a house or apartment (2 or 3 bedrooms). My budget is about 1000~1300/month.

The first priority is safe and family friend neighborhood. My son is 3.5 year old and my daughter is 2. They both need to go to daycare, so a good daycare nearby is also very important.

My company is located in 183 & Loop 1. But I need lots of travel (>50%) and work time is flexible, so distance wouldn't be a problem.

We want to buy a house after 1 year, so it would be great to rent a house to get some feeling of that. But apartment is completely fine.

Is it possible to rent a furniture house/apartment? It is unconvinced to buy furniture now and move in the house 1 year later.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 AM

326 posts, read 824,382 times
lots of threads on the forum on this one, but try Far West and Spicewood Springs area. Marquis at Treetops and Marquis at Caprock Canyon are two places I know and have had good luck with. Spicewood Springs Preschool is a good one and there are tons and tons of good schools/preschools in the Far West [and nearby Allandale area]. Your budget might be a bit tight but an area definitely worth considering.

Sorry in a rush - I lived in these areas so PM me if you need more specifics

Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,577,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaolao View Post
My company is located in 183 & Loop 1. But I need lots of travel (>50%) and work time is flexible, so distance wouldn't be a problem.

We want to buy a house after 1 year, so it would be great to rent a house to get some feeling of that. But apartment is completely fine.
You should be able to find a nice apartment in that price range in the Arboretum/Great Hills area (lots of nice apartment complexes). It will be close to work and is very safe. You shouldn't have a problem finding a good daycare around there as well, but be aware that you should visit the daycares soon and try to get on the wait lists now as they are generally very full.

If you want to be in a more affordable area where you will actually be able to buy a house and still get good schools on your budget, I'd look up North/West on Parmer towards the Avery Ranch/Brushy Creek area as well. There are multiple very good day care facilities on Parmer from Mopac all the way up Parmer to the Brushy Creek area. The commute isn't too bad as you can take Parmer down to Mopac and avoid major highways. (It's best to call "Loop 1" Mopac and not Loop 1 as you could confuse some people)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,663,814 times
Very nice apartments in that area, there was a somewhat similar thread a while back by someone who was going to work at National Instruments. You can find housing in that price range, too, but it will not likely be furnished (possible there are a few). Most apartments aren't furnished, but the upper end of your budget should allow a 2/2 or 3/2 with basic rental furniture included.

If your travel is via the airport, then staying close to MoPac/183 (not further NW or S) if probably a good idea - I assume you will end up taking 183 down to the airport. If you move a bit north of MoPac/183, you can use the toll roads (45 ->130) to get to the airport. The tolls are on your expense report, right ? You are talking about AISD or RRISD, both of which have generally good elementary schools in that area, and most areas you can trip over a daycare if you are not careful. Wait lists can be long-ish, but better than they were a couple of years ago.

You probably won't want to look east of MoPac/183, that starts to get into an industrial like area that is a bit dicey.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,913 times
Look for duplexes and rental homes in 78759 zipcode, I rented a 3 bedroom off Steck and Mesa for around $1100 that included lawn service. Renting furniture would probably get expensive, there is always craigslist. Also lots of furniture stores on Burnet or Lamar and there is always Ikea or Walmart for low cost kids beds and dressers and stuff.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,496 times
Thank you so much guys.
It looks like the budget is not enough to rent a house/town house. I will spend some time to check the apartments in Spicewood Spring, Farwest and North/West Parmer area.
My friend told me that my son might qualify to enroll Pre-K program. But he is only 3.5 years old. Does the EL school accept child under 4 for the Pre-K program?
Thanks again.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,625,122 times
I lived in these apartments a few years ago off Duval and they are pretty nice gated close to the Arboretum and Domain.

San Marin Apartments For Rent in Austin, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Here's a few other's i've looked at that are nice in the same general area

Mesa Verde Apartments For Rent in Austin, Texas - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Canyon Springs Apartments Austin, TX - Apartments for Rent in Austin Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin