Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 58,916 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Texas for a job opportunity at Texas A&M. I'm a bit nervous about the town based on some of the research I've been doing. We are both "city people" and my sense is that although B/CS is a great college community, it may not offer the amenities of a larger sized city.

Here's my dilemma. I would love to be closer to Austin, and my husband is willing to commute (he would only be going in 2 days a week). We would be looking for areas that are in between Austin and College Station that would have a great neighborhood feel but wouldn't have too much traffic for his commuting days. I would also like for it to be close enough that we could get to Austin for social things during the week. I may be taking a job in Austin based on the opportunities.

So...if this is the craziest thing you've ever heard of, please say so. We are in the brainstorming stages and we're just weighing our options. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 09:52 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Its not that far, I know many people who go back and forth, some claim you can get there in 45 minutes but it is probably a bit farther than that.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:30 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Its not that far, I know many people who go back and forth, some claim you can get there in 45 minutes but it is probably a bit farther than that.
90 min. minimum....closer to 2 hours depending on where in Austin & CS one is traveling.

If only 2 days a week, i wouldn't think it's crazy. It's a nice drive....BUT...i'd be looking on the east or NE side so you don't have to deal with Austin traffic as well.

Like East RR, Hutto, Pville or Georgetown. (maybe Bastrop).

Are kids/schools an issue? And have you considered the area around Lake Conroe (lots of "nice neighborhoods" there) in & around the town of Montgomery?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
I agree with hound 109. Look a bit Northeast of Austin. It would put you both somewhere in the middle of Austin and B/CS. I WOULD NOT want to make that commute very often, but 2 days a week might not be too bad. You could also go somewhere in the other direction and choose a town like Brenham and be close to B/CS and Houston.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewfur30 View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to Texas for a job opportunity at Texas A&M. I'm a bit nervous about the town based on some of the research I've been doing. We are both "city people" and my sense is that although B/CS is a great college community, it may not offer the amenities of a larger sized city.

Here's my dilemma. I would love to be closer to Austin, and my husband is willing to commute (he would only be going in 2 days a week). We would be looking for areas that are in between Austin and College Station that would have a great neighborhood feel but wouldn't have too much traffic for his commuting days. I would also like for it to be close enough that we could get to Austin for social things during the week. I may be taking a job in Austin based on the opportunities.

So...if this is the craziest thing you've ever heard of, please say so. We are in the brainstorming stages and we're just weighing our options. Thanks in advance!
B/CS is probably a better place to live in than most think, but definitely doesn't have a big city feel.

I think two good choices to consider are Round Rock and Bastrop. The drive to CS from Round Rock through Hutto and Taylor is not bad at all. Bastrop to CS driving on 21 is similarly easy (a bit shorter than Round Rock). Bastrop schools are so-so while Round Rock schools are excellent.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:16 PM

156 posts, read 331,183 times
Have you considered northwest suburbs of Houston? It's a bit closer than Austin.

I think you should give the B/CS area a look before overlooking it completely. It's not by any means a major urban area, but it's consistently rated one of the best places to live in Texas (and has low cost of living compared to Austin). It's not as small town as you may think, plus weekend trips into the cities are easy to manage from B/CS.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:28 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,121,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I agree with hound 109. Look a bit Northeast of Austin. It would put you both somewhere in the middle of Austin and B/CS. I WOULD NOT want to make that commute very often, but 2 days a week might not be too bad. You could also go somewhere in the other direction and choose a town like Brenham and be close to B/CS and Houston.
I would second this recommendation. Houston is a great city too and a bit closer to college station. I havent ever lived in any of the cities near houston so I cant really comment on them, but I have done the drive from houston to college station a lot and it isnt bad at all.

Conroe, montgomery and hempstead are all pretty close to college station and an easy drive into houston as well

Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I would second this recommendation. Houston is a great city too and a bit closer to college station. I havent ever lived in any of the cities near houston so I cant really comment on them, but I have done the drive from houston to college station a lot and it isnt bad at all.

Conroe, montgomery and hempstead are all pretty close to college station and an easy drive into houston as well

Conroe, Lake Conroe, and Montgomery would be okay. Plus, the sprawl of Houston goes all the way out to the Conroe area. You would have your big city feel. Lots of big city amenities. It would be a good 90 min drive to Bryan/College Station from these areas.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Closest big city to College Station is Houston (70 miles away).
That's one heck of a commute on non highway roads.
Weather conditions (fog, rain, ice) could make that commute into a day trip.

College Station, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Cities with population over 500,000 within 200 miles (300 km)
    • Houston, Texas 69.7 miles (152 km) (Population: 2,200,000, Metro Population: 5,500,000)
    • Austin, Texas 107.7 miles (173 km) (Population: 656,562)
    • San Antonio, Texas 169 miles (267 km) (Population: 1,144,646)
    • Fort Worth, Texas 173 miles (278 km) (Population: 534,694, Metro Population: 6,500,000)
    • Dallas, Texas 187 miles (268 km) (Population: 1,188,580, Metro Population: 6,500,000)

Old 02-20-2011, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 58,916 times
Default Crazy Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Are kids/schools an issue? And have you considered the area around Lake Conroe (lots of "nice neighborhoods" there) in & around the town of Montgomery?
Thanks so much for the responses so far.

Kids aren't in the picture now, but we plan to have kids relatively soon. I haven't considered any of the lake property. Is this actually a year-round community or mostly summer/vacation rentals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin