Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,065,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Good points. Houston has been a port city but it didn't receive the number of immigrants that New York and New Orleans did.
Not then, but present-day it ranks something like #3 in the US in number of foreign consulates.... that should tell you something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
So what you're saying is "there is no there there."
I know, I don't get that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvncrzy View Post
OMG...it's the history of the U.S. reduced to stereotypes....
Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezman View Post
So what you're saying is "there is no there there."
Precisely.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:19 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,010,082 times
Did I miss the part about who was here first?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Not then, but present-day it ranks something like #3 in the US in number of foreign consulates.... that should tell you something.
I'm sure in 250 years Houston will have a colorful and interesting culture like New Orleans does.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
It's even harder for a New Yorker here than in Dallas and Houston, and let me explain why. Dallas and Houston are trying to be in the same league as NYC and so develop amenities they think a city their size should have. But there is no sense of place there, because they are going against their history and culture. Houston is a little more authentic, because at least it has recognized its Cajun influence, but it still doesn't have a sense of place. But Austin and San Antonio are what they are. In other words, they don't deny their heritage or who they are, even as they both take their own different direction into the future.
Wait a second, Dallas and Houston aren't "trying" to be in a league of anything now. Their amenities you speak of were established long ago by the "old money" oil families philanthropy. Other things that have come along and been nationally recognized aren't because they were "trying" to be, but just happened.

As far as the last part, of them not having a sense of place and going against culture and history.... I don't totally agree on that either. How so? Austin as well is a watered-down version of what it used to be, that tends to happen to a place that attracts lots of transplants.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I'm sure in 250 years Houston will have a colorful and interesting culture like New Orleans does.
Nothing in Texas compares to New Orleans.
Galveston would be the closest.
Though when you actually do go inside of Houston, to the cool neighborhoods, there's plenty of colorful and interesting culture to be found. Certainly a lot more than you would probably give credit or have knowledge of, from the impression I get. Gotta love living in the Austin bubble!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,898,688 times
Nothing in Texas compares to New Orleans.

Thank God.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:26 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,792,286 times
Quote:
I'm guessing in 100 years, suburban strip malls will be considered quaint.

"Turn of the century market enclaves"

Great thread.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,793,885 times
I'd be interested in seeing what the percentages would look like in regards to which regions of the country move the most. My wild guesstimate is that the Northeast, West Coast, and Midwest all move way more often than people in the South. Probably the Northeast would be the winner with California following right behind. Seems like these days people in the NE are willing to leave at the drop of a hat. On the other hand if I ever meet any fellow Southerners out here in Cali its like a miracle.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 AM

509 posts, read 1,546,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Seems like these days people in the NE are willing to leave at the drop of a hat.
I don't know about that. When I tell people here in PA that we're planning to move to Texas, they look at me like I just lost the last of my marbles. When we were listing our property and interviewing agents, our current agent produced several studies that all found the majority of people move within 17 miles of their current location. Over the last decade and a half, of all of the people I know who moved, only two moves were of any distance. One was international and one was a corporate transfer to CT. As a generalization, most people don't like the amount of overwhelming change that comes with a cross country move and many people have other factors (Family, jobs, etc.) tying them to one location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin