Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:48 PM

172 posts, read 411,496 times

Advertisements

MOD NOTE: The first 47 posts in this thread discussing Austin ISD were moved from another thread discussing Circle C vs Westlake, where they were off topic for a thread comparing neighborhoods. Use this thread to discuss busing, school calendars and school schedules in Austin ISD.

-----

Right below- I have always considerd as westlake Area or surrouning area. Even though That is basiclaly just the School boundaries for the Huge eanes ISD. Oh btw their are huge amount of kids in Eanes ISD who are in private school. if everybody was in public school in the eanes ISD, theyd have to build 2 high schools probablly.

Google Image Result for http://www.austinmodernliving.com/Eanes-ISD-map-large.jpg

West Austin Real Estate | West Austin Homes and MLS

West Lake Hills Homes for Sale | West Lake Hills Homes and MLS | Westlake Homes for Sale

below is a list of school districts.
Google Image Result for http://ryanfrance.typepad.com/.a/6a010536bb2647970c0115709c4e74970b-800wi

i Honestly think Westlake is way nicer- or anywere in the eanes Area

Circle C is nice- but the price gap between the to is huge. with an average home in westlake according to some of the above websites, saying its at about 1.2 million. and the average home in Southwest austin being apparently 283k- 300k
and average home in Circle C being 350k
that is a huge difference

Southwest Austin Real Estate | Southwest Austin Homes and MLS

their are like a handful of 450-500k homes in the circle c area.

the school district is bowie high school for circle c/meridian/lewis mountain area. Lewis mountain is only maybe like i think 20 homes or so? but the homes are bigger, on bigger lots and some are 700k.
the school district is Bowie

Bowie high school- is the best Public High School in AISD.
you might think its Austin high- since tarrytown is right next door to it and the homes their are in the millions a good amount of time. but a lot of folks in tarrytown send their kids to private schools, and austin high has started bussing kids from all around the city, and its very easy to get a transfer to austin high. you dont even have to live in the area. Because of these reasons Austin high School has gone down a lot in rankings, taks scores, grades, etc etc.

Bowie- you have to live in Bowie area to transfer basically

in westlake- you have to live in the Eanes district to go to Westlake- and its rather pricey everywere in west austin aka outside the immediate city limits. which westlake extends outside and is outside of the AISD school district boundaries.
I Dont even think you can get a out of district transfer to westlake and if you can i am not sure if its guranteed for a whole year.

Last edited by Bo; 01-11-2011 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,921 times
Avana's price point will be kept significantly down by the fact a large portion of the subdivision is in Hays ISD...you're looking at a very long bus ride or an hour plus round trip with Brodie traffic for you to take them to the nearest elementary school. It's even farther for middle & high schools.

We looked at the SP model in Meridian a month ago and the sales guy said they had another section of 25 lots or so about to open up but it was in Hays Co/Hays ISD. They said they were going to try to get it in AISD. I don't know how much sway a developer has in those decisions since I have a hard time seeing an ISD giving up tax revenue for the sake of potential home sales. It was probably just sales talk to help move sales of that section.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM

390 posts, read 671,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Thanks! We have actually seen several houses in Circle C, so we are at least familiar with the types of homes we could get there. More house for the money is definitely a consideration...as is spending less on a house since we're thinking my husband may have to take a pay cut to come to Austin (BOO!)

we're willing to walk probably about a mile to get to schools and grocery and such. I do like the amenities circle c has to offer with the pool and parks. I really would love to walk my daughter to and from school for a few years, too.

I really am mostly focused on Woodhaven (which we have not seen in person) because of the proximity to all 3 schools in Eanes for less than $400K OR Allandale (which we HAVE seen) because I am very interested in Gullett as well as the quick access to downtown.

This board has been very helpful to me as we prepare for our move. I appreciate your response to me, and hopefully we can "chat" more as our move approaches.
Hilsmom,

Good luck with your search. I had a lot of similiar requests as you during our home search. I just wanted to mention that you might want to take a look at the "Circle C On the Park" (I think that's what it is called) section. It is on the Northeast corner of Escarpment and LaCrosse. I really liked that section (but we ultimately bought elsewhere in Circle C) because you are right across the street from Kiker Elementary and the pool. Escarpment Village with the HEB, Starbucks, restaurants, etc. is less than a mile away.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:13 AM

113 posts, read 371,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Avana's price point will be kept significantly down by the fact a large portion of the subdivision is in Hays ISD...you're looking at a very long bus ride or an hour plus round trip with Brodie traffic for you to take them to the nearest elementary school. It's even farther for middle & high schools.

We looked at the SP model in Meridian a month ago and the sales guy said they had another section of 25 lots or so about to open up but it was in Hays Co/Hays ISD. They said they were going to try to get it in AISD. I don't know how much sway a developer has in those decisions since I have a hard time seeing an ISD giving up tax revenue for the sake of potential home sales. It was probably just sales talk to help move sales of that section.
I can't imagine they'd bus the kids all the way around to the Hays/Buda schools... it would be a nightmare. The elementary schools already start at 7:40am and the bus schedule from the near neighborhoods have pickup times before 7am. (At least, that is what I found on their website.) This is one reason I'm hesitant to move to Buda.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino5 View Post
I can't imagine they'd bus the kids all the way around to the Hays/Buda schools... it would be a nightmare. The elementary schools already start at 7:40am and the bus schedule from the near neighborhoods have pickup times before 7am. (At least, that is what I found on their website.) This is one reason I'm hesitant to move to Buda.
Most elementary schools in central texas have similar start times! AISD elementary schools start at 7:45, so do Eanes. Do you think that the bus routes are too long?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Most elementary schools in central texas have similar start times! AISD elementary schools start at 7:45, so do Eanes. Do you think that the bus routes are too long?
I didn't know that about AISD. What kind of quality of life is that? I was hoping more for a 9:00 start! I don't know why the buses pick up so early. Probably because the houses are so spread out?? There seem to be plenty of buses (several routes) but the latest pick ups are all around 7am. Strange. I've even researched biking in from near neighborhoods but can't find good routes. I would never even consider Avana or Meridian if they really are zoned for Hays schools.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino5 View Post
I didn't know that about AISD. What kind of quality of life is that? I was hoping more for a 9:00 start! I don't know why the buses pick up so early.
Maybe because most parents don't have a life of leisure and have to work for a living...usually beginning at 8am?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,110,862 times
Most area public high schools start around 9 am. Research shows that teens don't learn much before 9 am anyway. Elementary schools generally start first, then middle schools, then high schools. As stated above, elementary students need parental supervision the most, so their schools start before the work day.

Most private schools start a bit later than 7:45 for elementary but I can't think of one that starts as late as 9!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM

I think I got spoiled looking into jobs out west. All the schools started at 8:30 or later. A good friend of mine (working, single mom) in San Francisco has two kids in elementary school (public) and they start at 9:30! Here there is before-care for working parents and most elementary schools start at around 9am. Good idea for the high schools to start later though.

And does anyone know ANY parents who lead a 'life of leisure'? I work way harder than I did when I had a full-time, paying job and no kids! But if I could send them to school later, not have to wake them up at the crack of dawn, I would do it.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM

390 posts, read 671,595 times
Our AISD elementary school starts at 7:40am and it has been tough for us! I hate having to wake my 6 yo up every morning before the sun comes up. Our school in the Chicagoland area last year started at 8:40am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin