Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 6,790 times

Advertisements

I'm from a large town up north and moved to L.a. a few years ago for work and school. I wish I could go back but there are no jobs up there and I can't afford to go to school there, yet. I don't like L.A. and am planning to move, but I'd rather not move and end up in a city I hate and waste another few years like I felt I have here in L.A.

I live in L.A. currently and absolutely hate it here and I want to leave. It's expensive, the people are jerks and stuck up, there's traffic everywhere (I'm spending three hours a day in traffic!), you need a car to do anything, but nobody provides parking, there is a class structure, the people are all sleazy. I didn't even know what a babydaddy was. I tried to find a roommate on craigslist and holy crap. There's smog, the water is gray, the cops all have this macho attitude and a bunch of other stuff I hate about the city, I could go on and on.

But the job I have now I can transfer to another city. Austin is one of the places I can transfer to. I've heard good things about the city but I've still heard some bad things as well. I know that rent is almost half of what I pay now, which is a huge plus. I've heard that everything, food, gas, shopping is cheaper in austin too. The pay is less, but so is cost of living down there, so I assume it will even out.

I've heard people compare austin to L.a. and people say austin is very liberal, but a lot of people also say L.a. is liberal which worries me. Not because of politics, but because liberal in L.A. tends to mean "legalize drugs and have an open marriage". Not, "environmentally conscience and supportive of the arts", liberal. I've heard that Austin can be very hard for jobs because of all the grad students. I've also heard that austin is very "heath conscience" which agains is something people have said about L.A. I've heard the traffic was bad, compared to what, i don't know. I've also heard that east austin can be dangerous. I avoided all the bad parts of L.a. Compton, north lb, downtown, so I've never had problems with that, but I just don't want to repeat the same mistakes.

So I guess this question is for anyone who's from L.A. or a small town and moved to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 05:01 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,464 times
Sounds like Austin is exactly what you are looking for.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,744 times
Austin sounds like a good fit for you, so long as you have a job waiting (it's hard to find employment right now.) Make sure to find a place to live near where you work as the traffic is hellish.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:08 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
Sounds like Austin is exactly what you are looking for.
No, it isn't. Austin is a city with "babydaddies", cops with attitude, etc. Just like every other city around the country. Even in your brief post, you don't sound like a person who necessarily appreciates diversity, (along with that dash of California class paranoia) rather you need to be with people like yourself.

What I think you're mind is telling you is..you need to go back to that small town.

I can already tell you have (impossibly) high standards that Austin (and Texas) cannot fulfill. You will be in that 'I'm disappointed' crowd. There's got to be someplace in California where you're needs can be fulfilled. Best to start your search at home.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
I grew up in LA but left in '85. I go back every few years to visit family. So that's my point of reference. LA and Austin just don't compare.

We have bad traffic, but nothing like LA. Some people here can be superficial (as everywhere) but the overall culture here isn't vapid the way it is in LA. There are still plenty of genuine, down to earth folks, people who are overweight and less than picture perfect aren't made to feel like circus freaks, and the cost of living allows working people like plumbers, electricians, teachers, and firemen to own homes in the metro area.

If you absolutely hate LA for the reasons you listed, Austin might provide the respite you seek. But remember, because it is much much smaller, you aren't going to have the amenities you had in LA. But for many of us, the trade off is worth it.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
No, it isn't. Austin is a city with "babydaddies", cops with attitude, etc. Just like every other city around the country. Even in your brief post, you don't sound like a person who necessarily appreciates diversity, (along with that dash of California class paranoia) rather you need to be with people like yourself.

What I think you're mind is telling you is..you need to go back to that small town.

I can already tell you have (impossibly) high standards that Austin (and Texas) cannot fulfill. You will be in that 'I'm disappointed' crowd. There's got to be someplace in California where you're needs can be fulfilled. Best to start your search at home.
Seriously? You can tell all of that from his single post? I didn't get that at all. But then again, I lived in LA so I know exactly what he is talking about and it has nothing to do with not appreciating diversity.

I remember in LA, people actually CARED about what kind of car you drove. We have friends there now that moved from Seattle and shortly after moving because one is a private chef he felt extremely pressured you buy a higher end volvo station wagon because in order for him to book jobs he had to seem like he was already successful and driving the older car didn't give off the right image.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Seriously? You can tell all of that from his single post? I didn't get that at all. But then again, I lived in LA so I know exactly what he is talking about and it has nothing to do with not appreciating diversity.
THIS is what the OP doesn't like about LA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysketch View Post
I live in L.A. currently and absolutely hate it here and I want to leave. It's expensive, the people are jerks and stuck up, there's traffic everywhere (I'm spending three hours a day in traffic!), you need a car to do anything, but nobody provides parking, there is a class structure, the people are all sleazy. I didn't even know what a babydaddy was. I tried to find a roommate on craigslist and holy crap. There's smog, the water is gray, the cops all have this macho attitude and a bunch of other stuff I hate about the city, I could go on and on.
Austin has some of the same stuff (albeit at a lower level). If he doesn't like working people/ sleazy people "the babydaddies", class structure "the Southern old guard", bad traffic "not like LA, but we do create our parking lots", smog "yes, especially in summer", cops with macho attitude "of course, this is Texas".

I can guarantee Austin is not a good fit for the poster. Why west coast transplants are getting stuck in this SoCal, NorCal, Portland, Seattle to Austin axis of *clusterfrack* I have no idea!

Needless to say, there are other cities closer to home where the poster may not run into the things they hate.

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 01-08-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
[quote=ImOnFiya;17313812}
I can guarantee Austin is not a good fit for the poster. Why west coast transplants are getting stuck in this SoCal, NorCal, Portland, Seattle to Austin axis of *clusterfrack* I have no idea!

Needless to say, there are other cities closer to home where the poster may not run into the things they hate. [/quote]

You can guarantee Austin is not a good fit? How can you do that?

Austin isn't a small city and it isn't a giant city (like LA). So it has some of the things LA has good and bad - it is a question of degree. But it much less of the things the OP doesn't like about LA.

I don't know about you, but I have few encounters with police in Austin. The few I do, have been perfectly reasonable. The worst was a Bee Cave cop who was disappointed to find I had a front license plate.

I didn't know what a baby daddy was so I looked it up. I have lived here since 1984 and I don't know one.

As for class structure - where exactly do you see this in Austin? I work with people worth > $10M. I also know teachers, college students, and lots of software engineers. I don't see any huge disparity in behavior or arrogance of those with money.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:47 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
What Hoffdano said I've been to LA a few times myself. No comparison. I'd take Austin anyday over LA.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You can guarantee Austin is not a good fit? How can you do that?

Austin isn't a small city and it isn't a giant city (like LA). So it has some of the things LA has good and bad - it is a question of degree. But it much less of the things the OP doesn't like about LA.

I don't know about you, but I have few encounters with police in Austin. The few I do, have been perfectly reasonable. The worst was a Bee Cave cop who was disappointed to find I had a front license plate.

I didn't know what a baby daddy was so I looked it up. I have lived here since 1984 and I don't know one.

As for class structure - where exactly do you see this in Austin? I work with people worth > $10M. I also know teachers, college students, and lots of software engineers. I don't see any huge disparity in behavior or arrogance of those with money.
Hmm..wouldn't be fair to say, you're at the top of the class?

Your statement is a testament to those persons with money, access, and a much... 'brighter' outlook, almost dazzlingly white-hot [not as though there's anything wrong with that]!

Try that same view but with sunglasses and a long tan. The result could make you a little dizzy, may not 'recognize' yourself!

LOL!

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 01-08-2011 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin