Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,592 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts re: living in Hyde Park? I like in-town neighborhoods but can't get a feel for Hyde Park. I have two young children and moving from LA. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:35 AM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
Judging from the MLS listings, it's kinda pricey for the square footage. I remember seeing one listing for nigh $1mil. but to be fair, that one sounded like it was a b&b.

The homes are kind of quaint and (if it's the area I'm thinking of) there's supposed to be a little "main street" with shops and coffee places where people like to gather.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 AM

139 posts, read 450,876 times
Default Hyde Park

When I first moved to Austin, I looked at Hyde Park, but realized quickly that relative to the other central, historic neighborhoods, it has alot of drawbacks. I currently live in Rosedale, which is immediately west of Hyde Park (west of Lamar, between 38th and Hancock), and it has a great mixture of 30s and 40s bungalows. In general, Hyde Park has alot of rental units, run-down apartment buildings mixed in, and lots of students. The fixed-up houses are great, but they are often next to run-down places. If you like that general area, Rosedale and BrykerWoods are about the same price/sf, but the houses tend to be better kept and are still within walking distance to shops, restaurants, and grocery stores.

We are now buying a property in Travis Heights, which is another great in-town, historic neighborhood, and again, I prefer it to Hyde Park. I know some people who love Hyde Park, but it just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Totally agree with txgal but it's all a matter of what you're looking for in a neighborhood. I live in Rosedale too and it's a great place - very family friendly and convenient to everything. Hyde Park is just too close to UT for me.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,075 times
I would have to agree with the above. Each has it's own charm (Hyde Park, Travis Heights, and Tarrytown) If you haven't been here yet then my best suggestion would be to just pound the pavement. Get out there and look around as much as you can and ask as many questions as you can so you can figure out which neighborhood offers what and how well each suits your needs. All three are great places to live.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:26 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times
I've lived in Hyde Park (2 different locations in the area) and loved it. You can find everything you want within a mile of any house in that part of town. You're close to the mega-HEB grocery store, the cute friendly funky Fresh Plus, several local coffee houses, some good restaurants, and all the best medical facilities in the Austin metro area.

The fact that there are very nice fixed-up houses next to funky run-down places is a PLUS to me. There is diversity in Hyde Park. The closer you get to the University, the more it's dominated by students. Some sections of the area are mostly family homes with few UT students.

When I lived there I was surrounded by families with young children. I also know some young adults who grew up in HP and they had a fantastic experience. All in all, I think it's a no-lose situation. It's a wonderful place. My only complaint is a personal one, which is simply that I prefer hills, and Hyde Park is mostly flat with a grid-like street layout. I prefer a bit more chaos like one finds in Bouldin or Barton Hills. But that's simply personal preference and has little influences on the quality of the neighborhood.

Go for it. Check it out! I can introduce you to people who have children there if you want.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,078 times
I chose Travis Heights (well, more like bouldin creek) over Hyde Park because of the premium you pay for living so close to campus.

Hyde Park has some of the most beautiful homes in the entire state, but damn... they get pricey.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:43 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I don't know what AISD schools support Hyde Park..I am guessing McCallum HS? Not sure, but you may want to check that out, too. Quite a few people use one of the fairly numerous private schools that are in the area, so I would guess there is a fairly low elementary-school-age-child density in the neighborhood for the public schools.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,918 times
What cross-streets have the beautiful homes in HP?

We looked down there, but everything seemed run down or college-oriented.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:30 AM

139 posts, read 450,876 times
Trainwreck20 makes another good point for someone with kids. I believe that Hyde Park sends kids to McCallum High, while Rosedale (south of 45th) and BrykerWoods send kids to Austin High. Although I don't have children, I know that in general, people prefer to be in the Austin High district. We had several people ask about that when we were selling our Rosedale home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin