Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 09:28 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,852 times

Advertisements

Or both for that matter. My mother traveled to Mexico, just outside of Cancun to visit her mother (my grandmother) and family 2 days ago. Grandmother (Abuelita) hasn't been doing so well. I recieved the call everyone dreads about an hour ago. She passed in her sleep last night. She was amazing and lived a long, full life.

The problem is I don't have a passport or visa. I've researched on line a bit this morning but can't find the detailed info I need, funny, when you want to know how to make a pipe bomb or fix your car everything you need to know is at your fingertips on the internet but when you need information like this things seem so vague. Maybe it's just the nature of dealing with a gvmt agency.

Has anyone out there tried to get an emergency passport/visa? If so, what was the process? What was required? How long did it take? Was there a cavity search involved? (i kid about the last question...unless it was required!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
I got one a few years ago pre 9-11 and all that it means and it took 2 days and I had to show that I had already had a ticket to leave within something like 3 or 4 days. I had to wait in the lines instead of waiting for the mail but it was worth it and I had fun on the trip to Europe, I know you used to be able to pay certain services to do the legwork for you. not sure about that now.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:19 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
I did a quick search for passport expedite services and found this one:

Sameday Passport & Visas Expedite Service, Austin, TX : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Our company uses one and it costs about $150 but you can get them in 24-48 hours.

As for a Visa, if you are going to stay more than 72 hours, I think you just fill out a form at the border or airport and pay them a fee. But I'm sure you can probably find that info on the Mexican Immigration website. Good luck and sorry about your G-ma.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:23 AM

Awesome, thanks guys!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
I used Passport Xpress and I think all told it was about $300. I had a 2 week turnaround though... not sure how quickly they can do it. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:23 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Under some situations, I think you can still get into Mexico on a birth certificate and other ID, but you may have to sign some forms and may be subject to extensive questioning while and/or after returning.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:04 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
I encountered the same situation last year. My grandmother passed in Japan, and my passport was current, but my son's passport was expired, and my year and a half old daughter didn't have a passport. We had to have proof of travel - airline ticket or receipt of ticket purchase. We drove to Houston, and we received the passports the same day. There was a wait, but it wasn't as long as I'd anticipated.

I'm sorry for your loss. Nevertheless, I wish you luck. I hope it all works out.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:13 AM

170 posts, read 827,003 times
You're an American citizen? I'm not sure where to direct you for an expedited passport near Austin but as far as travel to Mexico goes, no visa is needed for U.S. citizens. As long as you can get that passport (maybe in Houston like Mrs.JT mentioned?) that should be all you need.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:02 AM

Thanks for all of the help. As mentioned above I had to have proof of travel, problem was I didn't want to purchase a plane ticket unless I was sure I could get the passport in time. Kind of a catch 22. Plus I had to go to Dallas or Houston for the appointment I needed to set up, wasn't able to do that either, but there was the option to use a service that would take care of everything within 48 hrs for $390. Then add in buying a plane ticket for travel within a week and I got priced out...I was there in spirit.

Thanks for the responses and well wishes!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Sorry to hear about that. I completely understand. The catch 22 was my dilemma. I took off work, and my son missed a day of school for the appointment. I was worried about all the "what ifs." But we got to Houston bright and early in the am, and we were just fine. We has passports in hand within 3-4 hours after we got to the passport agency. (just FYI for anyone who might find themselves in the same predicament in the future)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin