Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM

7 posts, read 13,115 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

My family may be moving to Austin next year and I'm trying to ascertain which schools would fit us best. Test scores are one way to tell, and we would not choose a school with very poor scores. However, I think what we're really looking for is an elementary school where the kids grow up slowly (as much as possible!) and maintain a certain innocence about learning and life.

I attended Cedar Creek as a kid, and it did not fit the bill. I entered in 4th grade and recall being shocked how jaded the kids already were at that age. Kids had to be careful not to show too much interest in anything, etc... it was like high school already. This in spite of the excellent reputation.

Maybe it would be helpful for me to add:
- Things we feel are the most important: great teachers, love of learning, discipline, work tailored to students' individual levels, close-knit school community
- Things we don't like: teaching to the test, ostentatiousness (among parents and kids!), jadedness, lack of respect for teachers (again, among both parents and kids).

Lee, Bryker Woods, and Doss seem interesting, but we're open to mostly anywhere in the area. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,148,781 times
Maybe Gullet?

Is public a must? I know some private schools that fit your requirements.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Sure, if you know of some private schools we might like, that would be helpful as well!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,521,829 times
If you're willing to think private, check out The Waldorf School.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:04 PM

Yes, I second THL on the Waldorf School, also Parkside, Redeemer Lutheran, the Girls School and St. Francis School (sounds much more religious than it is, and much less religious than it was 15 years old, it is unaffiliated and there is no clergy involved).

All of those school individualize instruction, most have small class sizes, and all have students who are growing up more slowly than public school kids (how this is accomplished varies).

Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,804,222 times
Unfortunately, kids everywhere grow up more quickly now than in the past. I found that to be true at both public and in private schools, although it's usually just one, maybe two children who lead the pack and change the climate for everyone. The composition and attitude of students in one class year may be very different than another. I've seen that in each of my children's classes through graduation. There was a marked difference in the type of children and "social peace" in each.

If I were you, I would look into Brykerwoods, mainly because it is K-6th, so possibly doesn't have that 4th grade push into the middle school mindset. I'm just guessing here, though.

I haven't visited Waldorf, but agree it might be worth checking into, from the standpoint of Waldorf's educational philosophy. You'd have to see what type of parents have their child there at the moment. It could be as pretentious as anywhere in any given year.

Homeschooling comes closest to creating the developmental environment you describe...Austin homeschoolers are fairly well-organized, with one or two day academies throughout the city and suburbs. An alternative to that rather full commitment is Austin Home Base, a part time program which is a mix of homeschool/private school. I liked the attitude there. http://www.ahbcommunityschool.org/about.php (broken link)

Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Gullett got some nice comments on greatschools. Anyone with experience there?

As to the private schools mentioned, thanks for the recommendations. I will look into Redeemer, St. Francis, and Girls School more. Waldorf is probably too unconventional for us. Although I do like some of what they espouse, anthroposophy seems almost occult. Parkside is a Montessori and we decided against that in the past, but I'll look again.

One issue I imagine with private schools is the kids come from all over town, so there might be less of a localized community. And also I have to admit that I would worry about kids being there because they would not behave or something at a public school. Maybe people can reassure me about that...

Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM

Look at Hill Elementary in AISD, I know some folks who are very happy there. Also the Austin Discovery School may provide what you want.

I agree with capcat, much depends on the composition of the individual class and grade, this is true in public and private schools. I've been shocked by the toughness of some of the public school kids I know (including ones at Gullet and most of the schools on your list too!)

Kids aren't at public schools because they can't/won't behave in private schools! If anything, the dynamic works in reverse. Private schools can dismiss kids who break the rules, public schools cannot.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:30 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,354,350 times
You are looking for something that doesn't exist. If by jaded you mean 'sophisticated', then I would say that kids are jaded these days- any family that owns a TV exposes their kids to all the things that are happening in society. 'Mature' programming invades even Saturday morning TV. For this reason, I would second the Waldorf suggestion. Other than that, I think it's six of one, half dozen of another.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:39 PM

[quote=capcat;16665449]Unfortunately, kids everywhere grow up more quickly now than in the past.... The composition and attitude of students in one class year may be very different than another. I've seen that in each of my children's classes through graduation. There was a marked difference in the type of children and "social peace" in each.

I agree and have already observed this in several of my daughter's classes. You just can't control some things...

[quote=capcat;16665449]Homeschooling comes closest to creating the developmental environment you describe...

Homeschooling is too alternative for us. We are really rather conservative, in a lot of ways, about education.

I should say that in searching for a school that is less jaded, we are not looking to go way out of the normal (that would be Waldorf, for example)... just slightly in the direction of more innocence, if possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin