Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM

14 posts, read 35,695 times

Advertisements

Under the rule, beginning April 22, 2010, contractors performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb paint in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978 must be certified and must follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. (disturbing more than 6 sq feet)

Are people shying away from pre 1978 homes? Is it affecting you in any way? I have not seen any posts on this fourm about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
It's about removing it, and the vast majority of people just paint their walls, and don't tear them down, so I would say, no, there has been no effect that I've seen.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:10 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,910 times
I just purchased a house built in 1976. I prefer the quality of construction over the newer houses. I wasn't too worried about lead paint.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,450 times
I just bought a 1951 that had lead paint. Cost me an additional $5K above and beyond regular demo to have the lead paint demo certified guys called.

If you find lead paint in a house you want to buy, take $5-10K off b/c of it.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
It's about removing it, and the vast majority of people just paint their walls, and don't tear them down, so I would say, no, there has been no effect that I've seen.
In my house, I was renovating the kitchen and bathrooms. The lead wasn't on the walls, it was on all the trim and cabinets. PITA If you are renovating a bath or kitchen, WHAM!!!, open up your checkbook.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM

355 posts, read 923,477 times
Lead is toxic, no doubt.

But I'm always amazed that people will go out and get flu shots that include 25 mg. of mercury, which is even more damaging than lead, injected right into their bodies, bypassing the immune system.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,740,504 times
Lowes put new windows in my '63 house. They said they were required and did a lead test for $25 that turned out to be negative.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 22,616 times
Please keep in mind the reason for the fee is for the testing equipment as well as the mounds of paperwork that you must keep for inspection by the federal government if requested and the time involved to explain this to the customer!!!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:27 AM

373 posts, read 311,134 times
The RRP is going to be revised in 2011.

It basically will require clearance testing after many home improvement projects done by a contractor. This clearance test will show you have lead based paint in your home (if it actually does).

The clearance report will need to be disclosed at the time of sale, so you will basically be forced in disclosing you have lead based paint.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,747,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I'd say you're wrong on this. The language used in the EPA legislation is "disturbing" the work space. That includes washing, sanding, scraping, etc. And the work space is any area over six square feet.

Unsuspecting contractors - such as carpet installers, tile installers, roofers, wallpaper hangers, plumbers and electricians - are expected to be certified (and follow the new rules) or face heavy fines.

It really is insane.

One example: When painting the exterior, you're required to put down six-mil plastic 10' out from the exterior walls, plus four feet for each additional story. That means that the contractor is forced to set his 28' extension ladder atop the plastic. But wait, that's a violation of OSHA rules.

Hmmmm...Osha rules carry smaller penalties than EPA, so I'd guess you'd better violate OSHA rules so you can abide by EPA rules.

It's insanity.

The unintended consequence is that the value of old houses just went in the toilet. Cost to paint a pre-1978 house with all the abatement required - probably several *thousand* dollars more than before this law. It's not just all the equipment and testing and inspections, but the TIME to set up containment sections and vertical containment areas and cordon off areas with bright yellow tape, etc.

The extravagant use of six-mil plastic is a prominent feature of this new law. We're going to be using it by the ROLL and all that plastic will be bagged and double-bagged (EPA law) and then hauled off to the landfill.

Way to save the environment.

Rose Thornton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin