Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 33,949 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else live in the Lennar Bradshaw Crossing community in South Austin? Seems as Lennar is going to have a big problem on their hands soon because I have seen not only my home, but several others having problems. These homes are only 2 -3 years old and now Lennar is building more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 02:33 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcaustin View Post
Does anybody else live in the Lennar Bradshaw Crossing community in South Austin? Seems as Lennar is going to have a big problem on their hands soon because I have seen not only my home, but several others having problems. These homes are only 2 -3 years old and now Lennar is building more.

To answer your question: "yes", other people live there.

That's rough, usually that doesn't happen to a one story house that quickly. What kind of problems?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:32 PM

Haha really funny. Guess I deserve it since I asked a stupid question. Anyway, how do you know if I live in a single story? There are lots of two stories here too. To answer you question there are multiple doors sticking, cracks, nails popping. If you name a foundation problem we probably have it.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,456 times
I would just think that you would walk next door and ask your neighbors, or post it on your HOA website if you really wanted an answer.

The original post was not really a question, but rather stating that this community has foundation issues which doesn't really accomplish anything except give others a bad impression of where you live, and hits you in the pocketbook when you try to sell or refinance. Food for thought.

But to give an honest answer, it must be a Lennar thing. Onion Creek and Parkside are less than a mile away and on the same side of the highway - and they don't have that problem. Parkside is 2-6 years old, and I haven't heard a peep about foundation issues from anyone there, or on their website or chat groups.

Last edited by jobert; 08-27-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 08:27 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,179 times
My dad's family used to own land down by Rinard Creek off Bradshaw Rd, driving S towards Onion Creek (the back entrance). In fact, if you look to the right after you pass Rinard Creek, at the top of the hill, the shack house is where my great-grandfather lived (the Prossers). I think it was build around 1913, or so.

Where you live, the Bradshaw family owned that land and their property-line went down to the creek as well.

The land around there (at least by the creek) is limestone shale, the bedrock? is not far from the ground, far closer at times than six feet. Before my family sold the farm, my Dad would tell me how difficult it was to dig deep (ie, fence posts) into the ground.

I don't know if shallow bedrock could affect slab foundations. I just thought I'd give a little history of the area, as far as I know.

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 08-27-2010 at 08:43 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 PM

Interesting information about the limestone.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:32 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Haha really funny. Guess I deserve it since I asked a stupid question. Anyway, how do you know if I live in a single story? There are lots of two stories here too. To answer you question there are multiple doors sticking, cracks, nails popping. If you name a foundation problem we probably have it.
Foundations usually have a 10 year warranty. Have you obtained an independent evaluation from a foundation company (usually free, call Centex) to start a documentation process? If you do have a problem, it should be covered.

But what you described above doesn't sound like a "foundation problem". It does sound like a "settling" issue though. All homes settle after being built. What you want to determine is whether the settling is outside the scope of expected/accepted parameters. Settling can be a symptom of a foundation problem, but settling can also occur absent a "foundation problem".

Steve

Old 08-28-2010, 04:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Looking at this from an architectural perspective, the problems you describe could be from any number of things besides foundation problems. Poorly braced wood framing for one.

Are there major cracks in the concrete foundations? Not just shrinkage or curing cracks, major structural failures? If so then there might a structural problem.

From this description below of the geology of the area, there is little reason to think that a foundation built to the minimum code standards for Austin would be moving much. If your foundation were on a substantial layer of expansive soil (clay) that would be different. My first inclination would be to look at the framing and bracing as being the problem.

I agree with Jobert that if you don't have conclusive evidence of real foundation problems you are doing yourself and your neighbors a disservice making public announcements that the area has foundation problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
My dad's family used to own land down by Rinard Creek off Bradshaw Rd, driving S towards Onion Creek (the back entrance). In fact, if you look to the right after you pass Rinard Creek, at the top of the hill, the shack house is where my great-grandfather lived (the Prossers). I think it was build around 1913, or so.

Where you live, the Bradshaw family owned that land and their property-line went down to the creek as well.

The land around there (at least by the creek) is limestone shale, the bedrock? is not far from the ground, far closer at times than six feet. Before my family sold the farm, my Dad would tell me how difficult it was to dig deep (ie, fence posts) into the ground.

I don't know if shallow bedrock could affect slab foundations. I just thought I'd give a little history of the area, as far as I know.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 PM

We are having major work done to our home right now. It has already been determined that we are having foundation problems. They tried to just put gutters around the whole house, but it didn't work. They came back and found that our house has continued to shift. Anyway, I wasn't worried about telling people about our home because we have to disclose this when and if we ever go to sell our home. Anyway, I am just worried about the community and hope we are not on the news someday about our whole community needing work done to it. The good news is we do have a warranty and will have a lifetime warranty on all the work they are conducting.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 7,721 times
Are there any updates on the homes in Bradshaw crossing since 2010? I am asking because I am thinking of buying a home on Kleberg trail. Any insight is much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin