Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,144,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have a lot of experience with building codes and do not believe that installing an AC vent into the garage is a violation. You definitely do not want to return air from the garage into the house, as that cold draw gas, exhaust and other fumes into the house. You could install a fire rated damper to make sure, but typically the only fire separation between a house and a garage is a 1/2" layer of sheet rock and an unrated door.

when adding an air supply to the garage, you need to make sure there is someplace for the air to exhaust, a window or crack the garage door o pen a small amount. Leaving a door open from the house is not a good idea as it will draw all the warm air and possibly noxious air from the garage into the house.
interesting. I wonder if the HVAC guy I talked too was mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:26 PM

139 posts, read 351,948 times
I'd advise against the portable AC's. They don't work well enough imho unless it's a really small garage.
The way I see it, your options are:

1) Route a duct from your AC as mentioned - could be tough depending on current configuration
2) Cut a hole in the side of your garage and install a window unit. Cheap and effective. Install yourself.
3) Install a mini-split AC (my personal favorite choice from experience). Popular in Europe, not so much in the US. Would cost around $1000, including installation which you won't be able to do yourself. Very effective, only a small hole needed in the wall, and very quiet since the compressor sits outside of the garage. Usually comes with a remote control to turn it on and off at will. It will probably get your garage down to around 80 when it's 100 outside. But, and this is a big one, you're also going to have to do something about that giant garage door losing all of your cool AC. And if your garage is separate from the house, insulation is going to need to be a serious consideration.

Good luck.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,854 times
I also want to install a returnless vent to my garage. Could I open the ceiling attic access door to allow the heat out?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:04 PM

625 posts, read 1,138,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
I do quite a bit of work now in my garage- mostly on my 64 Falcon. Holy moly does it suck working out there right now. I was looking at the ducts in the hallway in the house right inside the garage door to the house. I think it would be pretty easy to modify the ducting to put a vent in the garage.

Has anyone ever done this? I wouldn't keep the vent open at all times, just open it prior to going out to work on the car. This may be a pipe dream, but man it is very uncomfortable working out in this heat.

Are there other options that may help keep the garage cooler to work in?
First, open up the space and before getting scientific, just get a good high speed fan blowing air directly on you, at close range. From there, you can decide how tolerable the heat is.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:14 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,787,096 times
Swamp Cooler. It's cheap, efficient, and enough to take the edge off of the heat in a garge.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,144,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Swamp Cooler. It's cheap, efficient, and enough to take the edge off of the heat in a garge.
I'd be worried that the extra humidity would rust all of my cast iron table tops.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:09 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,310,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Something like 20 In. High Velocity Floor Fan - HV 20S at The Home Depot might work?

I dont have a window in my garage. I also do not like the portable AC units. I had one that never worked well. Maybe I had a bad unit.
I'd go bigger - 36" to move the volume of air you want. Every garage I know uses these, so I think it will get the temp to bearable. Harbor Freight, Northern Tool have them I'm sure.

Sould do the trick w/ carving your house up and cheaper than another a/c unit.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:18 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,810,527 times
Our garage is detached and gets quite a bit of use as it is the only available work space in our house, so we have a "Ductless Mini Split" unit to cool and heat. This is what I was told about them: The units can be mounted low or high on the wall, but you have to request which way you want it installed as they come both ways. An A/C contractor should be very familiar with them. Brands like Mitsubishi or Turbo Air are common, though Amana may make one, too. They come in all sizes. If you want cool and heat the garage, you'll want a heat pump unit.

They're more pricey than other options, and I don't have an amount, but you can google mini splits or Turbo Air to get more info.

The norm in Austin is 500 square feet to 12,000 BTU cooling capacity without running a heat load. Ours is a 1.5 ton (18,000 BTU) unit for a 2 car garage, which it has done fine in 100 degree summer weather.

Maybe not something you'd consider for your garage, but thought I'd pass that on. Never know.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,646,321 times
Best of luck.. Our garage is fairly shaded(stone walls) with insulated doors and its 85 in there today! It runs about 12-15 degrees cooler than ambient temps AND I have to work on a headboard out there this afternoon!!! As a young friend would say, "Booo!!!"

Hmmm? Wonder if I could bring the headboard into the great room and clean up before DW returns tonight.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,286,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels55 View Post
I also want to install a returnless vent to my garage. Could I open the ceiling attic access door to allow the heat out?
Most attics have inadequate intake and exhaust vents to deal with the attic heat, much less handle the additional AC supply. You probably already need to add more roof exhaust vents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: