Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 AM

117 posts, read 347,390 times

Advertisements

Hidden Valley Mayflower just moved us from Boston to Austin and did a great job. They have a good reputation on that movingscam.com forum ... that is highly recommended reading, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 AM

37 posts, read 128,132 times
Default Town and Country

We used Town and Country to move us from DC.
We were very pleased- nothing broken. The driver called us en route several times. Definitely would use them again.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:04 AM

64 posts, read 192,153 times
I think my husband had an agreement of "amount not to exceed". However we just a few minutes ago found out that due to the purging of a lotta stuff, the total weight went down 4000lbs, which reduced the total amount $5500. That's significant!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,948 times
Know the laws for the state you live in and the state you are going to. Movers are notorious for holding your belongings hostage at the end of a move and not wanting to deliver your items unless you pony up more cash. You really have to be ready to call the police. These moving companies often hire third parties so while the agent you speak to may be honest the actual mover may not be.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,483 times
We just moved to Austin from Boston about 4 weeks ago. I interviewed United and North American and we went with N. American. Price was comparable, but N American did not charge for shuttle service on either end in the event that the truck could not get close enough. This ended up being an issue in Austin (we are in a temporary apartment with a lot of trees and a curving driveway).
Fortunately, every single item arrived in perfect condition. We had a great, albeit VERY slow, team of movers.
One piece of advice - ASK and get in writing exactly how many movers will be on your job to load the truck and unload. I didn't ask and was surprised when only 2 people showed up. They did a great job, but it took all day to load and unload. Our move was only about 5500lbs.
Our cost was about $4,700 and we packed almost everything ourselves. Their quote was guaranteed so it could not go up even if the weight was greater than the estimate. They packed some art, 2 very fragile tables and we used their boxes for mattresses.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:50 AM

10 posts, read 19,836 times
My husband and I moved from Chicago, 2 years ago.
We used Golan Moving and Storage. They are out of Skokie and are great!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:54 AM

10 posts, read 19,836 times
We also used Movingscam to pick our movers. Golan came out and gave us a bid based upon weight. The cost of the move could not go up based upon that bid. When the truck was weighed, our weight was under and we actually got money back.

Here is their phone: 1-800-439-8515

Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 AM

7 posts, read 15,659 times
Default What company did you chose?

Hi, what company did you finally chose? We are looking to move from West Palm to Pflugerville.

Thank you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcamden914 View Post
Wow, this is some scary stuff. I have been reading reviews on these companies. There sure is alot of bad mixed with good. I guess I'm gonna have to go with my gut!!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM

48 posts, read 135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
We used movingscamdotcom to aid us in selecting a mover and also to teach us how to avoid scams. Our move was successful and came in a couple dollars below estimate.
I used that site for comparison of different companies and ended up using United to move me from Memphis to Austin. I would definitely go with United again if I need to move.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,799 times
We also moved into an apartment (renting for the first year) and the big United truck couldn't get into the tight turns in the parking lot. They had to unload from the big truck and use a smaller truck to get in and unload our furniture and boxes. No charge to us, but make sure whatever company you use, if they have such an issue, won't charge you extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin