Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times

Advertisements

On the rex properties site... Is the Stovall House open yet...

1. Sibley-Hull House (available now)

Eight up-scale one bedroom and efficiency apartments in Augusta's beautiful downtown Historic District.

2. Levy House (ready in March)

Seven up-scale efficiency, one, two, and three-bedroom apartments in Augusta's resurgent ''Uptown'' neighborhood.

3. Stovall Barnes House (ready in march)

Three bedroom, two full bath loft-style apartments in Augusta's beautiful downtown Historic District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM

937 posts, read 1,801,133 times
Omg!!! Can we get 3 16 story apartment building going downtown two can be regular price apartments between 5 and 6 hundred a month and the other can be a housing development for lower income familes, why is it that just because yu make less yu have to live in a crappy place? I know for a fact that these building would fill up fast

Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,695,260 times
You let me know where I can find a decent apartment in Augusta for $500 a month, because the cheapest apartment I've seen was at least $700, and those places were nasty...

Anyway, I do think that some nice apartments would do very well in downtown (and I'm not talking about section 8 or low income housing either, I'm talking about nicer apartments for middle and upper class citizens). I don't really think that high-rise condos are a viable option for downtown yet, but I think that nice apartments would do great.

Also, low income projects are what have messed up downtown in the first place, and the city is finally seeing that these sorts of places are nothing but a negative impact on the community and has started tearing them down. Now if only we could get rid of the section 8 apartments in downtown (Maxwell House, Richmond Summit, etc.), then we'd really see some good downtown! The last thing this city needs is to start building MORE housing projects, especially downtown!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 AM

There are some decent apts in Augusta for $500 a month... There are definitely some decent 1 bedrooms for $500-$600.... A one bedroom in Westbury Creek is only $530

But what apts cost $700 and were nasty? I was just wondering. $700 for a apt in the Augusta area is getting up there.

Aren't Richmond Summit and Maxwell House for old people?

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-03-2010 at 03:33 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 05:54 AM

No, Richmond Summit and Maxwell House are Section 8 housing, they're basically privately owned public housing...

I've not seen any decent apartments for $500 a month, all the ones that had that price were really old and somewhat run down and/or had negative reviews.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:26 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
I've not seen any decent apartments for $500 a month, all the ones that had that price were really old and somewhat run down and/or had negative reviews.
The one bedroom and studios in the old firehouse on Broad are pretty decent and are sub-$600. There are a few other 1 and 2 br lofts on Broad that are sub $700. There are also some NASTY ones for around the same price- depends on who you are dealing with.

I toured a good bit of the lofts not too long ago and the main problem is that the owners could have put a lot more into the places to make them more modern and appealing. Nicer countertops, refinish the hardwood, newer appliances, improve the inside facade, and a lot of other touches that would take them to the next level.

On the other hand, my mom pays $730 for a 2 bedroom apartment off of Wrightsboro Rd and it isn't worth it at all to me. I have lived in much better for less...just not in Augusta. However, the smaller the dwelling...the more you are going to pay in most cases. In Augusta, it is almost worth it to get a 2 BR instead of a 1 BR even if you don't need it.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM

197 posts, read 611,512 times
We need to start luring restaurants downtown like Ruth Chris, Public House, etc. This would be a boom to downtown. I wish The Augusta National would buy out surry center so Downtown could lurer all of their upscale restaurants and boutiques there.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:07 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
^

I've been saying that forever. We need a big box store or (as much as I hate to say it) a chain restaurant downtown to draw people downtown.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 AM

Augusta National owns the food lion parking lot on washington rd. They kicked family dollar and food lion out. They recently bought land around Berckman road too. Augusta National is sitting pretty good right now. The Augusta National crowd uses the Surrey Center. They wouldn't want to demolished it. I actually think it will add more stores in the future. Empty land is still around the Surrey Center. There a development called Hill Terrace which is 2 story homes. It's in steps of Surrey Center. Plus the people who live on the Hill/Summerville would never let anything to Surrey Center either.

I think we need a Gap, a sleek Publix could be in the old train depot, starbucks on Broad, large Arcade, and a movie theatre downtown.

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-04-2010 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta National owns the food lion parking lot on washington rd. They kicked family dollar and food lion out. They recently bought parts around Berckman road too. Augusta National is sitting pretty good right now. The Augusta National crowd uses the Surrey Center. They wouldn't want to demolished it. I actually think it will add more stores in the future. Empty land is still around the Surrey Center. There a development called Hill Terrace which is 2 story homes. It's in steps of Surrey Center. Plus the people who live on the Hill/Summerville would never let anything to Surrey Center either.

I think we need a Gap, a sleek Publix could be in the old train depot, starbucks on Broad, large Arcade, and a movie theatre downtown.
I agree, except for the part about the arcade, they are unfortunately a dying breed (except for places like Dave & Busters, but they won't come here because the metro is too small).

I do agree that a Publix would be great for the depot, it could be like the Publix that built in that old print shop in downtown Columbia.

The movie theater and Starbucks is also a great idea, I'd also love to see typical 'mall' stores such as American Eagle or Gap etc. locate in stores downtown, that's why I think that the city (or a developer) should build a building (or renovate one) downtown that looks like that Jackson Square development in downtown North Augusta. The stores wouldn't want to renovate the building (or build one) themselves, they'd much prefer if a building was built and renovated and all they had to do was move in.

Heck, as much as I hate to say it, and as tacky as it sounds, I'd be happy to see a Taco Bell set up shop in the middle of downtown, anything that brings in people willing to spend money...

I've actually been going over some ideas in my head for some things downtown, I may have to start a thread and show you guys my ideas, what do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area