Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 03:15 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times

Advertisements

I have a 2014 A5 Quattro with 28k miles. It's due for maintenance now. I've always taken it in to the dealer and done what was suggested on their schedule. In addition I had 4 new tires put on it in November 2019 because I had a tire blow out and they suggested 4 new tires.

I've only put about 3k miles on it this past year. I know I need an oil change but if I take it to the dealer they are going to probably suggest about $1000 worth of maintenance work. I'd rather just get the oil change if I can since I haven't been working much since July 2020 and don't want to spend anything extra that I don't have to.

Should I go to the dealer and get their scheduled maintenance? Or should I take it somewhere else to get only an oil change?

Does anyone know what Audi will tell me is recommended on this car?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 06:59 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,327,486 times
Many vehicles with AWD should have all four tires replaced at the same time due to the nature of their AWD systems. This is not extreme and the price you pay for having an AWD vehicle. If the tire that was blown was beyond repair, then they were doing their due diligence by suggesting you replace all four. Could you have shopped around or looked online for a good deal on tires? Yep, but you took the easy way out and let the dealer do it at an extreme mark-up I'd hazard to guess.

There's nothing wrong with finding an independent mechanic for routine maintenance, but the long and short of it is if you want a vehicle that's cheap to maintain stay away from European vehicles and buy something that is less expensive to maintain.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Many vehicles with AWD should have all four tires replaced at the same time due to the nature of their AWD systems. This is not extreme and the price you pay for having an AWD vehicle. If the tire that was blown was beyond repair, then they were doing their due diligence by suggesting you replace all four. Could you have shopped around or looked online for a good deal on tires? Yep, but you took the easy way out and let the dealer do it at an extreme mark-up I'd hazard to guess.

There's nothing wrong with finding an independent mechanic for routine maintenance, but the long and short of it is if you want a vehicle that's cheap to maintain stay away from European vehicles and buy something that is less expensive to maintain.
I wasn't questioning the need for 4 new tires, I knew that would be required. I didn't go to the dealer for the tires, I went to a local tire store.

I was inquiring to see if anyone knew what maintenance the dealer would suggest at this time with my car, I mentioned in my original post that I had relatively new tires so others would not suggest them. I know no one is a mind reader, but maybe someone has an idea!

Old 03-24-2021, 07:35 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
I’d just change the oil and filter (just tell the dealer - they can recommend all they want). Should cost no more than $150.

You should probably flush the brake fluid, as that’s an “every 2 years” thing. Likely same for the coolant. But neither of these are too expensive, or at least they shouldn’t be.

You should probably seek out a good independent. For my 2011 BMW X5 diesel with 125K miles I follow my own schedule, and oil and fluids as mentioned above was only a few hundred. For my wife’s Q7 we follow the dealer schedule as it’s easier for her.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:55 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Considering your vehicle has only 28,000 miles but is 7 years old, the dealer may recommend changing any fluids that are still original, like your coolant and possibly your transmission fluid.

If they do, I think that may be a pretty good idea.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:46 PM

I had my car serviced today. Just as an FYI, they didn't talk me into any service than what I requested:
  1. New battery since mine died right before I tried to start the car to go to the dealer. What timing, luckily a neighbor had a small car battery charger. That thing was awesome, a charging car was not needed!
  2. Oil change / filter
  3. 16 point inspection - passed all of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi