Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:48 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,537,937 times

Advertisements

You cannot buy a car in the US directly from the auto manufacturer (except Tesla-I think), the dealer buys it at cost then sells at MSRP. The difference between the dealer cost and MSRP is the potential profit to the dealer, who can discount that difference as an incentive to make the sale to a reluctant buyer. If you want a very specific model with specific options the dealer buys that car for you from the manufacturer, the time to negotiate price is before you ask them to order it, otherwise the dealer has no incentive to reduce the price, because you want the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 09:48 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,775,495 times
1) Of course you can special order an Audi. You can special order anything.
2) Of course you can get a discount, there's nothing terribly special about a special order unless it's insanely customized and in a hideous color, in which case they may want a non-refundable deposit.
3) The suggestion that you shouldn't haggle simply because you're buying an Audi is mind-numbingly asinine. They have have even more room to work on higher-end cars.
4) Why an S4 over a 340? The 340 is faster. I'm in the market for a new car and I'm down to an S4, M3, or 340. Any reason you went Audi?

Old 09-05-2015, 09:49 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,842,660 times
Hey OP, it sounds like you've gotten some really terrible replies from people who have never purchased a new Audi before. It's well known within Audi circles that you can get 6% off MSRP if you try hard because that's the automatic discount that Audi NA club members get. You just need to be a member for 6 months before you qualify for that discount. Since your order will take 4 months, the 6-month wait is only 2 months longer. I believe since your 6% discount is automatic, you can sign up to be a member today, then wait 2 months to place your order and tell them u are a ACNA member. Then when your order comes in 4 months later, you get the 6% off when you take delivery. Call Audi Club NA to confirm if it works that way. If unfortunately it doesn't work that way and you can't wait an extra 6 months (10 months total), then 4-5% should be pretty easy by pitting 2 dealers against each other.

BTW, 3-4 months is the typical turnaround time of a custom Audi order and the dealer usually requests around a $2,000 deposit. If you order something that's not a standard option such as an Audi exclusive paint color then you need to pay for the total cost of that option up front. Good luck.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,282,723 times
The last car I ordered from the factory (through a dealer) was in '91 -- a car for my daughter's high school graduation. Every other year for 25 years before that I routinely sat down with a salesman and picked everything I wanted, placed the order, and picked up the car a couple months later.

I quit special ordering because I haven't been that picky about what I drive lately, but up until then I got great discounts. Why not? If everyone special ordered, the dealer wouldn't need the space and inventory that they do now. On that last car, the salesman (who I knew pretty well) said they'd like a $500 mark up on it. He showed me their cost on everything; we made the list, added $500 to their total, and that's what I paid. That was typical at all the dealerships I bought from (except dealer markup went from $100 to $500 over the years). And yes, I know they also got factory bonuses, etc. to add to the dealer's markups.

But those were U.S. cars (Chevy, Ford, Jeep, Buick, Mercury), and it was a long time ago. Still, if Audi can accept a special order, I don't know why the discount wouldn't be as good as it would be for one sitting on the lot.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:21 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,094,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
1) Of course you can special order an Audi. You can special order anything.
2) Of course you can get a discount, there's nothing terribly special about a special order unless it's insanely customized and in a hideous color, in which case they may want a non-refundable deposit.
3) The suggestion that you shouldn't haggle simply because you're buying an Audi is mind-numbingly asinine. They have have even more room to work on higher-end cars.
4) Why an S4 over a 340? The 340 is faster. I'm in the market for a new car and I'm down to an S4, M3, or 340. Any reason you went Audi?
Exactly, there is quite a lot of wiggle room on high end cars, well at least when you buy them second hand (this will be my first new car purchase). On top of that, not caring about saving money because you can afford an Audi or BMW is so stupid and unless you were born into money, you will never be able to gain or retain any reasonable amount of wealth with that kind of attitude.

I've had two BMWs and I'm honestly just not that satisfied with them. My first one had so many problems related to its electronics. It would keep killing the battery to the point where it couldn't even be jump-started. The service I've received has been from terrible to subpar. I had a service associate tell me I MUST drive it at least 15-20 miles EVERY DAY without stopping or else the battery will be dead by the next day. I eventually scheduled a meeting with the GM and had a tantrum and he gave me some options to trade it for another one, but defended his service employee by saying he was promoted from sales, so he is still learning how to speak to customers. From the dealers I've had experience with, if you want a loaner car, it's not uncommon to have to schedule a month in advance to get one. I had both front and rear brakes done through BMW and after 1 1/2 years, they said they should be replaced and I know I wasn't driving my car hard. They had to have made a mistake installing them or something was faulty with them to begin with, but they said there is no warranty for them. I had them put on a new tire for $550 that went flat a few months later, it could be bad luck, but once again no warranty or any discount for replacement. I'm just not that happy with BMW in general. With that being said, I have a couple friend's who have had great experiences with their BMW's and dealerships. I really do love the look and performance of the M3 and M4 along with the special colors they come in though. However, I'm in love with Audi's interior and it has a nice balance between sport and luxury that is easy for daily use too.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 09-05-2015 at 10:33 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 10:24 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,094,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Hey OP, it sounds like you've gotten some really terrible replies from people who have never purchased a new Audi before. It's well known within Audi circles that you can get 6% off MSRP if you try hard because that's the automatic discount that Audi NA club members get. You just need to be a member for 6 months before you qualify for that discount. Since your order will take 4 months, the 6-month wait is only 2 months longer. I believe since your 6% discount is automatic, you can sign up to be a member today, then wait 2 months to place your order and tell them u are a ACNA member. Then when your order comes in 4 months later, you get the 6% off when you take delivery. Call Audi Club NA to confirm if it works that way. If unfortunately it doesn't work that way and you can't wait an extra 6 months (10 months total), then 4-5% should be pretty easy by pitting 2 dealers against each other.

BTW, 3-4 months is the typical turnaround time of a custom Audi order and the dealer usually requests around a $2,000 deposit. If you order something that's not a standard option such as an Audi exclusive paint color then you need to pay for the total cost of that option up front. Good luck.
Thanks! Yeah I was aiming for a 5-6% discount. After going back and forth, I usually do the whole, well I'm going to test drive an XYZ and an ABC and if I can't work out a deal with either, maybe I'll come back for this car. However, if you can accept the price I offered, I'll take it right now. Usually, once I get up and start walking, they will throw another price out and if I keep walking and they don't say anything, that usually means that is their bottom line at least for that situation. I didn't know about the Audi NA Club, I'll definitely look into it.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 09-05-2015 at 10:33 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 10:55 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,265,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
So I've always bought second hand because of the value, but this time I'm going to really spoil myself and place a custom order. The total price with options comes out to $58,500. I understand negotiating isn't as flexible as buying second hand, so what would be a good purchase price based on an MSRP of $58,500?

Thanks!
yeah, I made the mistake of buying a new Audi to spoil myself once. Only Once.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:35 AM

3,535 posts, read 2,694,533 times
I'm looking into the Audi A7, and taking delivery in Germany would be a great idea, since we are planning a trip to Europe anyway.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:28 PM

11,157 posts, read 29,392,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Exactly, there is quite a lot of wiggle room on high end cars, well at least when you buy them second hand (this will be my first new car purchase). On top of that, not caring about saving money because you can afford an Audi or BMW is so stupid and unless you were born into money, you will never be able to gain or retain any reasonable amount of wealth with that kind of attitude.

I've had two BMWs and I'm honestly just not that satisfied with them. My first one had so many problems related to its electronics. It would keep killing the battery to the point where it couldn't even be jump-started. The service I've received has been from terrible to subpar. I had a service associate tell me I MUST drive it at least 15-20 miles EVERY DAY without stopping or else the battery will be dead by the next day. I eventually scheduled a meeting with the GM and had a tantrum and he gave me some options to trade it for another one, but defended his service employee by saying he was promoted from sales, so he is still learning how to speak to customers. From the dealers I've had experience with, if you want a loaner car, it's not uncommon to have to schedule a month in advance to get one. I had both front and rear brakes done through BMW and after 1 1/2 years, they said they should be replaced and I know I wasn't driving my car hard. They had to have made a mistake installing them or something was faulty with them to begin with, but they said there is no warranty for them. I had them put on a new tire for $550 that went flat a few months later, it could be bad luck, but once again no warranty or any discount for replacement. I'm just not that happy with BMW in general. With that being said, I have a couple friend's who have had great experiences with their BMW's and dealerships. I really do love the look and performance of the M3 and M4 along with the special colors they come in though. However, I'm in love with Audi's interior and it has a nice balance between sport and luxury that is easy for daily use too.
Smart money is on leasing those type of cars plus Batteries, Brakes and Tires are wear items esp. high performance Runflat tires would not expect Ford, GM, Toyota or Honda basic maintenance costs.

So to gain and retain wealth buy a reliable used car that is cheap to maintain and you can have some decent independent mechanics work on them or lease one in stock on a lower trim model.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:15 PM

3,380 posts, read 9,233,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Smart money is on leasing those type of cars plus Batteries, Brakes and Tires are wear items esp. high performance Runflat tires would not expect Ford, GM, Toyota or Honda basic maintenance costs.

So to gain and retain wealth buy a reliable used car that is cheap to maintain and you can have some decent independent mechanics work on them or lease one in stock on a lower trim model.
Your post is 180 degrees opposite of what he is doing.

He wants a built to order car. Good luck doing that with a lease.

He wants it optioned out....58k for a A4 in the color he wants. Probably not happening with a lease.

He doesn't want a lower trim car.

The A4 does not use run flats.

I think he has already gained enough wealth to pay for 60k plus worth of car.

What does Ford , GM, Toyota, or Honda have that is on the same level as the car he wants/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi