Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM

23,558 posts, read 44,258,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Exactly, Lovin! I was thinking the same thing...it's so funny what Northeasterners do/say to make themselves feel better about where they live.
I made myself refrain from a response to those comments...but it was difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 06:45 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,902,888 times
I did notice the comment about MIT being way above Ga Tech's league. Yet, if you go here Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report and click through all the choices of engineering specialties at schools offering doctorates, MIT and Ga Tech are close together in the top 10 in almost every category, with Ga Tech outranking MIT in some cases. Big difference!

I know these popular rankings are not a be-all and end-all but still, they're an indication. Considering that Tech, unlike MIT, is a public university and very affordable for in-state students in particular, I think we Georgia residents are lucky to have this option. I just hope the state is able to ease up on the budget cuts for education (at all levels) soon.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:58 AM

16,733 posts, read 29,638,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I did notice the comment about MIT being way above Ga Tech's league. Yet, if you go here Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report and click through all the choices of engineering specialties at schools offering doctorates, MIT and Ga Tech are close together in the top 10 in almost every category, with Ga Tech outranking MIT in some cases. Big difference!

I know these popular rankings are not a be-all and end-all but still, they're an indication. Considering that Tech, unlike MIT, is a public university and very affordable for in-state students in particular, I think we Georgia residents are lucky to have this option. I just hope the state is able to ease up on the budget cuts for education (at all levels) soon.

Yes.

People don't realize how lucky we are to live in a state with such high-quality public universities...

Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 AM

128 posts, read 353,736 times
Quote:
Yes.

People don't realize how lucky we are to live in a state with such high-quality public universities...
Exactly: education education education. That is the most important investment this state can make in itself. Nothing empowers and improves a place like a set of enlightened citizenry.In these times of budget cuts, nothing angers me more than seeing teachers, school budgets, and entire schools being reduced and eliminated. What does this say about our state, especially when we are already at the bottom of school rankings? But by all means, yes, please allocate $10 million for a college football hall of fame. Great to see where priorities are under the Gold Dome.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,228,741 times
Quote:
Yes.

Some of the comments (from the Boston Globe and the AJC Blog) echoed the truth though...

1. The impossibility of buying a house in Boston Metro unless you inherit.

2. The lack of very high-quality public universities in Mass.

3. Boston--for students or the rich. Anyone in between--not a smart place to live.

4. The over-regulation of many things--especially land use.

*Boston Metro benefits from having a large influx of students every year (replenish--some end up staying by default upon graduating). Otherwise, I think the population would start dropping fast.
Agreed. Some of the reasons I moved to the Atlanta area from Massachusetts.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:59 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,537,036 times
The comments after the article were pretty comical. After living in Massachusetts for 3 1/2 years and being a Notherner by birth....I would never live there again. The winter weather is unbearable. When it isn't snowing it is raining or icing. You can "walk" through the streets of Boston and in a week or two realize that no one you passed made eye contact with you or said a word. I'll take the friendly, polite population in Atlanta anyday over the cold weather and even colder people (we referred to them as craggy).

Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,836,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I love the comments below the article...it's the same kind of Northeastern elitism that you see on here. "Five Corners"...LOL.
LOL.I read that too....So much snobbery.Meanwhille Atlanta just keeps on getting better and better.Atlanta's not perfect but a "dump" and all sprawl;it is not.They are kidding themselves.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,400,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
The comments after the article were pretty comical. After living in Massachusetts for 3 1/2 years and being a Notherner by birth....I would never live there again. The winter weather is unbearable. When it isn't snowing it is raining or icing. You can "walk" through the streets of Boston and in a week or two realize that no one you passed made eye contact with you or said a word. I'll take the friendly, polite population in Atlanta anyday over the cold weather and even colder people (we referred to them as craggy).
The last time I was up there, I made an innocent comment to an older store clerk that "it was a nice day." His snarky response - "To you maybe!"

Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 PM

719 posts, read 1,700,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The last time I was up there, I made an innocent comment to an older store clerk that "it was a nice day." His snarky response - "To you maybe!"
Ah come on. ALL of America is chirpy "have a nice day". Atlanta, Boston, LA, whatever. We're overestimating the differences just a bit here, don't you think?

Not to take any position on the original article, but I would say there's plenty of rudeness to go around right here in the sometimes clannish South.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,228,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Well, I'll jump in though and say you just hit one guy who was having a bad day. People in New England are not generally rude or impolite, in fact the contrary is true.

What is true though is that you will not find the same idle chit chat that you'll find down south. When you go to the grocery store, the clerk generally doesn't ask or care how you're doing. Strangers don't say hello when passing on the street, etc. That's not rudeness but just a difference in culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: