Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 AM

7 posts, read 13,501 times

Advertisements

My wife got a good job in Dublin. I work in Suwanee. Forsyth, GA seems to be the best location for us. We have 2 middle schoolers and 1 high schooler. Can you tell me anything about our daily commute time, life in Monroe, and the schools down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:33 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,113 times
It would be close to two hours with no traffic (about 1 hour, 45 minutes on mapquest), but I would count on closer to 2.5 to 3 hours with real world conditions, maybe longer when there are bottlenecks through Henry County.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM

That sounds really bad. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Well, it's almost 90 miles- what kind of commute were you expecting?

I don't think it'd be 2.5 hours on anything other than the worst days (rain major accident, etc), but unless you're leaving the house at around 5:30 am, it'll be the better part of 2 hours everyday.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 AM

I was expecting and hoping for someone with experience to tell me 1 1/2 to 2 hours like you said. I was worried that someone with experience would tell me 3 hours. Now, I have a ton of questions left about the schools, environment, and if there is some sort of dial-a-ride service that my highschooler can you.

Thanks again for both your replies.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, it's almost 90 miles- what kind of commute were you expecting?

I don't think it'd be 2.5 hours on anything other than the worst days (rain major accident, etc), but unless you're leaving the house at around 5:30 am, it'll be the better part of 2 hours everyday.
Just about every time that I have driven from that area to Suwanee it has taken about 2.5 hours, but then again it always seems that we hit a backup through the Henry County stretch of I-75. I am not sure if that area is congested to the same degree on a daily basis. I do agree with Bob that you are at least looking at 2 hours. As another option, is there a more centralized location east of Atlanta south of I 20 where you could take back roads (Eatonton, Madison)?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:32 AM

I was looking at Eatonton but I hear you have to travel pretty slow on the back roads....and it looks like I can take the same backroads to Forsyth to 20 and then go a differant Southwest to Forsyth instead of Southeast to Eatonton in about the same time. That would give Forsyth the edge because of better schools....but I could be really wrong in my assumptions.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
If you've never done a 2+ hour commute, you really don't know what you're in for. Lots of people start off saying "it's not that bad- I can live with it because it allows me to live in a great area", and within 6 months they're wanting to go postal every time they think of having to drive to work.

I did a 1.5 hour commute for some time in NJ, and it really sucked after about 3 months. The only reason I'm willing to do my commute (35 miles from Cherokee County to downtown Atlanta) is because I'm allowed to work 6-4, which keeps my drive to 45 minutes in the morning, and under an hour most afternoons. I wouldn't even think about doing that commute for a 9-5 position.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If you've never done a 2+ hour commute, you really don't know what you're in for. Lots of people start off saying "it's not that bad- I can live with it because it allows me to live in a great area", and within 6 months they're wanting to go postal every time they think of having to drive to work.

I did a 1.5 hour commute for some time in NJ, and it really sucked after about 3 months. The only reason I'm willing to do my commute (35 miles from Cherokee County to downtown Atlanta) is because I'm allowed to work 6-4, which keeps my drive to 45 minutes in the morning, and under an hour most afternoons. I wouldn't even think about doing that commute for a 9-5 position.
I have to agree I have a 55 mile coomute everyday that takes me 45 min- 1 hr its real annoying especially when I look at gas prices or if I ever hit traffic.

Like the time when it flooded it took me 2 hours to get home because there was a lake in the middle of 285 and ppl either got stuck or moved very slowly through hoping they wouldnt get stuck.

Anyway that is really far Dublin I looked is past Macon. Commuting from Dublin to Hampton is a ride so going twice if not more that I could not do. Where do you currently live and can the wife not accept the job. Or can you guys afford to live seperatley until one of you can get transferred near the other? Sorry but this looks really bad for you.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:21 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,397 times
Ok, this makes no sense. You live in Lawrenceville, work in Suwanee, yet your wife accepted a job in DUBLIN ?????? That's nearly 150 miles away from Lawrenceville !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta