Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 PM

143 posts, read 346,082 times

Advertisements

I graduated from Lassiter in '04 and went to college at UGA with a lot of academically talented kids from all the East Cobb schools, and I think the differences between Lassiter, Pope and Walton that you're trying to parse are probably not worth the hand-wringing at this stage in the game. By the time your children are in high school, those differences are small enough to have had plenty of time to completely change, and since no one has a functional crystal ball, it's impossible to tell exactly how that's going to happen over the next eight years.

I found an academic environment at Lassiter that was pretty similar to the one that a previous poster mentioned about their daughter at Walton - I got a 1500 on my SATs, had a 4.1 GPA, was captain of the debate team and an officer in several other clubs. I was admitted to both Yale and Duke - I was 77th in my class. It's competitive. Pope is the same way. All of the schools you're looking at are going to be rigorous because the affluence of the overall area tends to mean involved parents that are focused on academic excellence and the quality of their children's schooling.

Walton does have a bit of a bigger reputation for snobbery than Lassiter or Pope, but again, I'm not sure if it's big enough of a difference to base a decision on eight years early (from the sort of reactions I got in college when I told people that I went to Lassiter, it seems like most people assume that everyone in East Cobb, no matter the school, is an enormous snob.) I didn't find Lassiter's environment too snobby, although there were all manner of luxury cars in the student parking lot - my group of friends simply wasn't interested in competing with each other in that way, but there were certainly kids that were. I imagine both mindsets also exist at Walton. Instill self-confidence and a strong sense of identity in your kids, and having a mediocre car at Walton won't throw them off track for life.

But as others have mentioned, that doesn't mean that any of those three schools will be the best for your children in particular - Lassiter was terrible for my little brother, and Pope or Walton would have been similarly bad. There were simply too many distractions and pressures at the huge East Cobb powerhouses for him to do well. He's a really bright guy, but the school that did so well for me didn't do him any favors.

Picking schools is an inexact science, particularly with kids that are so young. I would have been happy to go to any of the three schools that you listed, and the differences, as they stand right now, are pretty small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 06:21 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
I graduated from Lassiter in '04 and went to college at UGA with a lot of academically talented kids from all the East Cobb schools, and I think the differences between Lassiter, Pope and Walton that you're trying to parse are probably not worth the hand-wringing at this stage in the game. By the time your children are in high school, those differences are small enough to have had plenty of time to completely change, and since no one has a functional crystal ball, it's impossible to tell exactly how that's going to happen over the next eight years.

I found an academic environment at Lassiter that was pretty similar to the one that a previous poster mentioned about their daughter at Walton - I got a 1500 on my SATs, had a 4.1 GPA, was captain of the debate team and an officer in several other clubs. I was admitted to both Yale and Duke - I was 77th in my class. It's competitive. Pope is the same way. All of the schools you're looking at are going to be rigorous because the affluence of the overall area tends to mean involved parents that are focused on academic excellence and the quality of their children's schooling.

Walton does have a bit of a bigger reputation for snobbery than Lassiter or Pope, but again, I'm not sure if it's big enough of a difference to base a decision on eight years early (from the sort of reactions I got in college when I told people that I went to Lassiter, it seems like most people assume that everyone in East Cobb, no matter the school, is an enormous snob.) I didn't find Lassiter's environment too snobby, although there were all manner of luxury cars in the student parking lot - my group of friends simply wasn't interested in competing with each other in that way, but there were certainly kids that were. I imagine both mindsets also exist at Walton. Instill self-confidence and a strong sense of identity in your kids, and having a mediocre car at Walton won't throw them off track for life.

But as others have mentioned, that doesn't mean that any of those three schools will be the best for your children in particular - Lassiter was terrible for my little brother, and Pope or Walton would have been similarly bad. There were simply too many distractions and pressures at the huge East Cobb powerhouses for him to do well. He's a really bright guy, but the school that did so well for me didn't do him any favors.

Picking schools is an inexact science, particularly with kids that are so young. I would have been happy to go to any of the three schools that you listed, and the differences, as they stand right now, are pretty small.

Good post.

I'm a graduate of one of the "Golden East Cobb Three"...and I did very well there (and attended a top state university with acceptances from other top schools)...

However, I really would not want my child to attend my alma mater (unless the other choice was so severe a la the movies Lean On Me or The Principal!). I know too many students that did not/do not do well in that type of environment.

Last edited by aries4118; 06-16-2010 at 06:29 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 PM

143 posts, read 346,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good post.

I'm a graduate of one of the "Golden East Cobb Three"...and I did very well there (and attended a top state university with acceptances from other top schools)...

However, I really would not want my child to attend my alma mater (unless the other choice was so severe a la the movies Lean On Me or The Principal!). I know too many students that did not/do not do well in that type of environment.
I agree - I don't have kids and at this point don't anticipate having any, but if I ever did, I'd want them to go to school in a different environment than I did. Personally, I'd choose one that was more urban than East Cobb - I think that being raised in a city provides a very important social education that a school in the suburbs can't really recreate, even though Lassiter did a great job preparing me academically for college. I think my parents would have chosen differently on where to settle if Atlanta had been a safer and more revitalized city back in the 80s when they were trying to figure out where to raise a family.

That's a little OT, but I hope that the original poster figures out which environment will suit her kids best. Among the school's that she's considering, the differences be big enough to sway me one way or another.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
I agree - I don't have kids and at this point don't anticipate having any, but if I ever did, I'd want them to go to school in a different environment than I did. Personally, I'd choose one that was more urban than East Cobb - I think that being raised in a city provides a very important social education that a school in the suburbs can't really recreate, even though Lassiter did a great job preparing me academically for college. I think my parents would have chosen differently on where to settle if Atlanta had been a safer and more revitalized city back in the 80s when they were trying to figure out where to raise a family.

That's a little OT, but I hope that the original poster figures out which environment will suit her kids best. Among the school's that she's considering, the differences be big enough to sway me one way or another.
Yep--

This is also why I'd rather have my child attend Sprayberry or Wheeler over the golden three...a school doesn't have to be in the city to get the benefits of a broader social education (as well as the top academics one would find at Sprayberry and Wheeler...and Kell). And beautiful neighborhoods/homes!

Last edited by aries4118; 06-16-2010 at 12:40 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,719 times
I go to Walton.. i do agree it is a very grade perspective school and we spend a lot of time doing school work. There is a big push but you get used to it. As for snobby kids, yea they are around, but they are around in every school. And aside from the myths alot of us are really down to earth and it is a majority in that realm because we can not stand the snobby kids. For most of us our parents raised us better than this. I am in the Marching Band, I have alot of freinds and most of them are just average. Some of us are really smart, but some of us aren't i know both sides so either way your kids will be alright. And for some of us we are in AP classes because of our parents or we are afraid we won't get into a good college. if you don't want your kid to stress out then don't pressure her (which i am sure you wouldn't you sound like a concerned parent) Your daughter has plenty of time. But take my word for it.. it is a good school and all the blood sweat and tears will pay off when we go to college best of luck!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM

39 posts, read 102,679 times
I don't understand why people stress out about fitting in economically in East Cobb. If you can afford an average home there, then you'll be just fine. If you don't mind being on the lower end, there are PLENTY of homes under 200K. That's my case as I'd rather have a paid-off home than a fancy home. There are also quite a few townhomes off Johnson Ferry Rd along the Walton corridor.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 31,520 times
I hate Walton.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepoi View Post
I hate Walton.
Quality bump to a thread that hasn't seen a post in 5 years.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:22 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdepoi View Post
I hate Walton.
Care to elaborate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: