Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Atlanta: townhome, housing, affordable, traffic, downtown.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,701 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be moving to the Atlanta vicinity in 9 months for work. We are looking for a lower crime area, but also somewhere that has a good nightlife. We are in our 20's with no children and will be renting to start off. Any suggestions for area's or apartment complexes/ townhomes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,507,130 times
Default Where will you be working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgjb4020 View Post
My boyfriend and I will be moving to the Atlanta vicinity in 9 months for work. We are looking for a lower crime area, but also somewhere that has a good nightlife. We are in our 20's with no children and will be renting to start off. Any suggestions for area's or apartment complexes/ townhomes?

The cost of housing 'Intown' --within the perimeter is higher than outside the perimeter.

There is more nightlife in Midtown and in Buckhead--rather expensive to live in either area.

The traffic makes it difficult to commute from one area of Atlanta to another.

If you know which part of Atlanta you prefer posters can give more specific suggestions.

sls

Old 06-03-2007, 06:54 AM

9 posts, read 54,124 times
rgjb4020:

SLS gave you some good info. I would add that with regard to night life traffic won't be an issue so you may want to consider less expensive areas within 20-30 minutes from downtown(night life area).

Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,507,130 times
Default ??Less Expensive/Low Crime Areas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalabash View Post
rgjb4020:

SLS gave you some good info. I would add that with regard to night life traffic won't be an issue so you may want to consider less expensive areas within 20-30 minutes from downtown(night life area).

I am not certain that there will be many places like this in metro Atlanta...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 9,701 times
Expense isn't too much of an issue as we currently live in the DC metro area. Right now we are paying $1200/ month for a 1 bedroom, although we'd like to get below this it's not critical. We have looked at Vinings and Roswell... We've never even visited Atlanta so really have no clue and are looking for input on starting our search.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:26 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,672,631 times
Do you know where your jobs will be?

Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 PM

279 posts, read 473,171 times
i would base everything on the location of your job.
Vinings is nice, so is roswell, also look at apartments by peremeter mall on ashford dunwoody as it is walking distance to many places and close to buckhead. Also look into dunwoody...its just a little north of the mall.
It really depends to you want scenic beauty or closeness to places.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:09 PM

9 posts, read 25,822 times
rgjb4020 what part of maryland are you in? I am in largo and I am in the same boat and planning to move to Atlanta in the next few months. I just came back from Atlanta last week:
Perimeter is a nice area also to check out nice apts, they remind me of some of the ones in rockville, and upper scale those nice apts in Bowie off of 301.
Buckhead- is very nice too around lindburgh station area. And it is close proximity to alot of places.

And there is traffic but it is not like 495 going across the wilson, or 495 in montgomery county during rush hour. Because it at least moves and it does not seem like a parking lot.
Hopefully that helps

Old 06-03-2007, 04:54 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,781,805 times
you definitely want to live close to your jobs. atlanta has some of the worst traffic in the country.

for 1000-1200 a month you could probably afford a nice place in midtown and maybe even buckhead/atlantic station.

but i wouldn't live here if your jobs are outside the perimeter. if your jobs are on the perimeter, then you could probably find a reasonably nice apartment for around 800 dollars or less near your job location.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:55 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,781,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic215 View Post
rgjb4020 what part of maryland are you in? I am in largo and I am in the same boat and planning to move to Atlanta in the next few months. I just came back from Atlanta last week:
Perimeter is a nice area also to check out nice apts, they remind me of some of the ones in rockville, and upper scale those nice apts in Bowie off of 301.
Buckhead- is very nice too around lindburgh station area. And it is close proximity to alot of places.

And there is traffic but it is not like 495 going across the wilson, or 495 in montgomery county during rush hour. Because it at least moves and it does not seem like a parking lot.
Hopefully that helps

hmmm... i encourage you to drive from downtown atlanta out to gwinnett county during a few rush hours and repeat that statement! atlanta traffic is as bad if not worse than the dc/baltimore metroplex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta