Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,034,955 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSFhX...layer_embedded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 PM

561 posts, read 783,219 times
nice! I love this kind of stuff!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:40 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,220,524 times
Let's hope they have designed direct access to/from parking and dedicated security screening. Nothing is more annoying to me at Hartsfield than coming off an international flight and having to wait in line and do the metal detector shuffle before I can just head to my car. All that happens to you AFTER you go through passport and customs. It might be the worst international arrivals experience in the world.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM

225 posts, read 587,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Let's hope they have designed direct access to/from parking and dedicated security screening. Nothing is more annoying to me at Hartsfield than coming off an international flight and having to wait in line and do the metal detector shuffle before I can just head to my car. All that happens to you AFTER you go through passport and customs. It might be the worst international arrivals experience in the world.
Sadly, I must agree with your comments about the international arrivals... I have traveled to quite a few airports around the world and am still amazed by how chaotic our dear old airport is. I wonder if the "smallness" of the international baggage claims area and the chaos of everything is attributed to the growth over the years.

BTW, uh...I noticed that they called it the Maynard Jackson International airport... what happened to William B. Hartsfield? I thought it was Hartsfield-Jackson....

Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,931,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaichick View Post
BTW, uh...I noticed that they called it the Maynard Jackson International airport... what happened to William B. Hartsfield? I thought it was Hartsfield-Jackson....
They're calling it the Maynard Jackson International Terminal (yes, apparently the terminal gets it's own name). I guess Mr. Hartsfield has been pushed out fully this time. I always felt it was a crime to his family name that they tacked on to it like they did when "renaming" the airport a few years ago. They should have respected what the man did via the airport for the City by leaving the name alone and then naming future terminals after other public figures as they were built later and/or adding bronze statues to celebrate various leaders on the grounds. Or simply just call the place "Atlanta International Airport" and leave it alone. Regardless, the City and visitors gets a new terminal. I'm sure most of the people who are coming in from various countries will care less what the name is so long as their luggage doesn't get lost.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM

VERY interesting... Thanks for the update. Atlanta politics... some things just never change

Old 02-17-2010, 01:08 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,726,779 times
Yea, its moving pretty fast clip. I"ve seen a big chance since the fall at work. They should start framing the inside in short time. They have already starting fixing the road that will lead to the terminal from I-75 (the name is escaping me right now).

I don't know if anyone knows and I can't find any news on it but any ideas whats going to happen to all the rental cars real estate in the front of the airport? I'm assuming new parking or something along those lines.

Greg, I"m hoping they drop the Jackson from the airport name once the international terminal is completed.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Greg, I"m hoping they drop the Jackson from the airport name once the international terminal is completed.

This IS Atlanta politics that we are talking about, right? So we can just dream of the prospect of dropping the Jackson. Nothing against the old Mayor.. I also think it's ridiculous to have "add-ons" to an original name..

Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,931,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Don't hold your breath on that one. When they added Jackson on to the name and members/friends of the Hartsfield family protested it, they were deemed as "racist" by those who pushed for the name change. I'm actually surprised they kept Hartsfield's name on it at all and didn't rename the airport the Atlanta Jackson Jackson Lowery Lewis Young Williams Feed the Hungry Happy Ranch, instead. Yes, it was local politics at it's best when all of that hit the news. Again though, personally I think that 98% of the visitors who will at least be using the new terminal ( and many who use the airport in general ) have no idea nor want to have any idea of who ANY of those people are/were, and are just happy to get off their planes and get to their hotel or homes.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Don't hold your breath on that one. When they added Jackson on to the name and members/friends of the Hartsfield family protested it, they were deemed as "racist" by those who pushed for the name change. I'm actually surprised they kept Hartsfield's name on it at all and didn't rename the airport the Atlanta Jackson Jackson Lowery Lewis Young Williams Feed the Hungry Happy Ranch, instead. Yes, it was local politics at it's best when all of that hit the news. Again though, personally I think that 98% of the visitors who will at least be using the new terminal ( and many who use the airport in general ) have no idea nor want to have any idea of who ANY of those people are/were, and are just happy to get off their planes and get to their hotel or homes.
Yeah, I couldn't believe they were being deemed as "racist" for wanting to preserve a name.

ATL could derive to...

AHJ, AJW (Atlanta Jackson Williams), MLK... I think we should stick to it being known as the ATL or the Atlanta airport so I am glad most of those people just want to focus on getting home.

Can you tell how I feel about Hartsfield Jackson no longer being Hartsfield Jackson?

I love the Feed the Hungry Happy Ranch... that sounds like a wonderful place to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: