Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:50 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,541 times

Advertisements

You know, diverse isn't just about the number of black students in a school. Like I said before, Walton may have like 2% black but it has like 15% Asian students, and a large amount of Jews too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 03:18 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Edit: I went back and re-read your last post. I wouldn't say that we're being isolationists at all; quite the opposite. We believe the more the merrier. We're simply saying "East Cobb, you're way too homogenous, and we prefer to live in a community where people value diversity (or at least aren't hostile to it)." We're not going to try and demand a change, we're just saying that East Cobb hasn't evolved to our liking. The same could be said about Elk River or Wayzata or Minnetonka or Eden Prairie.
Yeah, Minnetonka is diversifying, but when I was growing up there in the 60's and 70's we had almost no minorities at all in the school district (Hopkins).

It's something I regret a little -- I didn't really get exposed to anything at all resembling a diverse population until I went to college and was bombarded with all kinds of interesting people. One of the most interesting times I had down here was the year I was assigned a roommate from Taiwan. He was really cool, and he and his friends got a real kick out of trying to teach me a few choice phrases in Mandarin. :-)

I *do* appreciate the answer, and thanks for not taking it the wrong way. I know very little about East Cobb -- SE Cobb seems to be fairly diverse, at least around where we live, and I think that's a good thing.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM

13 posts, read 26,953 times
There are TONS of homes now in the Wheeler school district for under $250,000 and nice ones too now that they market has gone down. Wheeler is a great school right off of Roswell Road with easy access to I-75. I just photographed a home in Spring Creek subdivision just walking distance to Wheeler and it was completely renovated 4 Bed 2.5 Bath. Here is the website: 476 Spring End Lane For Sale, Marietta GA Real Estate

Old 05-24-2020, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 1,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
You know, diverse isn't just about the number of black students in a school. Like I said before, Walton may have like 2% black but it has like 15% Asian students, and a large amount of Jews too.
You are missing the POINT of the OP in general racism is a problem in this society and she just doesn’t want her kids to feel isolated or excluded nothing is wrong with that why do people like to pretend they don’t know the truth? Or history? Or see Black men getting killed walking down the street

Old 05-24-2020, 12:01 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie2200 View Post
You are missing the POINT of the OP in general racism is a problem in this society and she just doesn’t want her kids to feel isolated or excluded nothing is wrong with that why do people like to pretend they don’t know the truth? Or history? Or see Black men getting killed walking down the street
I think you're reading into it too much. The OP (from 13 years ago!) Is obviously entitled to want whatever type of school they want. I think the point of the response was to point out the misuse of the term "diverse" to only mean racial diversity, when diversity actually encompasses so much more (ethnic, economic, religious, gender, thought, geography, etc.)

Old 05-24-2020, 01:48 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I think you're reading into it too much. The OP (from 13 years ago!) Is obviously entitled to want whatever type of school they want. I think the point of the response was to point out the misuse of the term "diverse" to only mean racial diversity, when diversity actually encompasses so much more (ethnic, economic, religious, gender, thought, geography, etc.)
Actually, in a Metro Atlanta/Georgia/Most-of-the-American South context, to try and dismiss a Black percentage of around 2%, and then citing every other ethnic/economic/religious/gender/thought (really?)/geography (seriously?) group out there in the name of "diversity" is disingenuous at best and really a tell-tale sign of closeted and covert bigotry, prejudice, bias, and racism.

More here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/petesau.../#897949117274
https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...chools/548084/

Last edited by aries4118; 05-24-2020 at 02:03 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 03:00 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Actually, in a Metro Atlanta/Georgia/Most-of-the-American South context, to try and dismiss a Black percentage of around 2%, and then citing every other ethnic/economic/religious/gender/thought (really?)/geography (seriously?) group out there in the name of "diversity" is disingenuous at best and really a tell-tale sign of closeted and covert bigotry, prejudice, bias, and racism.

More here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/petesau.../#897949117274
https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...chools/548084/
I'm confused? Why is one to assume race is just about ethnicity? In fact, I think just the opposite...someone who only wants ethnic diversity, but not all aspects of diversity would come off as close-minded to me?

Old 05-27-2020, 12:20 PM

139 posts, read 313,944 times
For the things that are important to you, I would look at Powder Springs. Housing prices are lower and A1 schools in the Hillgrove cluster. Schools are more diverse than East Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta