Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 AM

859 posts, read 2,119,826 times

Advertisements

‘Whites only' basketball league announced

By Mike Morris

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Is a new professional basketball league announced this week for real, or is it all just some sort of joke or publicity stunt by former pro wrestling promoter Don "Moose" Lewis?
The Augusta Chronicle reported on Tuesday that the All-American Basketball Alliance plans to kick off its inaugural season in June and hopes that Augusta will be one of 12 cities to host teams.
But here's the kicker: According to a press release the newspaper and other Augusta media outlets received from the new league, "only players that are natural-born United State citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league."
That's right. Lewis, who calls himself the commissioner of the AABA, will exclude blacks and all foreigners from his new league, which the newspaper said will be based in Atlanta.
According to the Chronicle, Lewis said he wants to emphasize "fundamental basketball" instead of "street ball" played by "people of color."
"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," Lewis told the paper. "I don't hate anyone of color."
Lewis pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' suspension for bringing a gun into the Washington Wizards locker room, and said, "Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?"
But is Lewis, a former promoter of the International Wrestling Union, serious about his plans for such an exclusionary league, which he hopes will have teams in a dozen southeastern cities such as Augusta, Albany and Chattanooga, Tenn.?
The AABA apparently has no Web site, and efforts early Thursday to reach Lewis through the telephone number listed on the league's press release were unsuccessful.
"I am a sports enthusiast myself, but I just don't think that idea's going to fly in Augusta, Ga.," Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver told WJBF-TV.

‘Whites only' basketball league announced *| ajc.com

No chance of this happening, but to think someone would really promote this...

Old 01-21-2010, 11:11 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Oh....no....

Why do some idiots insist on characterizing people of a particular race by the actions of a few? It's a very stupid thing to do.

I think (and hope) that this isn't for real - just a big mouth jerk with another alcohol inspired idea.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:25 PM

16,693 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
‘Whites only' basketball league announced

By Mike Morris

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Is a new professional basketball league announced this week for real, or is it all just some sort of joke or publicity stunt by former pro wrestling promoter Don "Moose" Lewis?
The Augusta Chronicle reported on Tuesday that the All-American Basketball Alliance plans to kick off its inaugural season in June and hopes that Augusta will be one of 12 cities to host teams.
But here's the kicker: According to a press release the newspaper and other Augusta media outlets received from the new league, "only players that are natural-born United State citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league."
That's right. Lewis, who calls himself the commissioner of the AABA, will exclude blacks and all foreigners from his new league, which the newspaper said will be based in Atlanta.
According to the Chronicle, Lewis said he wants to emphasize "fundamental basketball" instead of "street ball" played by "people of color."
"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," Lewis told the paper. "I don't hate anyone of color."
Lewis pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' suspension for bringing a gun into the Washington Wizards locker room, and said, "Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?"
But is Lewis, a former promoter of the International Wrestling Union, serious about his plans for such an exclusionary league, which he hopes will have teams in a dozen southeastern cities such as Augusta, Albany and Chattanooga, Tenn.?
The AABA apparently has no Web site, and efforts early Thursday to reach Lewis through the telephone number listed on the league's press release were unsuccessful.
"I am a sports enthusiast myself, but I just don't think that idea's going to fly in Augusta, Ga.," Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver told WJBF-TV.

‘Whites only' basketball league announced *| ajc.com

No chance of this happening, but to think someone would really promote this...

This is great!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:35 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,528 times
Am I the only one who would love to see the crowds at this game?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:49 PM

16,693 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Am I the only one who would love to see the crowds at this game?

Nope.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,391 times
well...it's a free country. with that being said, i'm betting that this idea never comes to play...

Old 01-21-2010, 01:03 PM

335 posts, read 675,719 times
why does it matter its a free country if someone wants to start a league of there own they should be allowed to.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
From most of the stories I've read about this it appears to be some sort of hoax or publicity stunt. The supposed league isn't even divulging where their headquarters are located exactly.

Doesn't really matter though, even if this whole thing wasn't some sort of sick joke no city would sign-on with a team. The very idea of it is insane.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
why does it matter its a free country if someone wants to start a league of there own they should be allowed to.
YEAH!

Why don't we just go back to the "good old days" when everything was all white? We even had all white basketball leagues back then...they were called the NBA and the NCAA.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:23 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,415,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
YEAH!

Why don't we just go back to the "good old days" when everything was all white? We even had all white basketball leagues back then...they were called the NBA and the NCAA.
i know you're being funny, but seriously...this douche has every right to create an all white basketball league if he chooses to...will it take off?? highly doubtfull, but that's besides the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta