Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 12:58 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,258,173 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I'm the only one who likes to look at retro vids. They serve as interesting Time Capsules in a world that is forever evolving and changing. I stumbled upon some videos from what looks to be the Atlanta CVB from some time in the late 1980s. II know they're propaganda, but they really seem to capture that spirit of Pre-Olympics, can-do , optimistic boomtown feeling that Atlanta was so well known for at the time. I remember reading the National Geographic article about Atlanta from around this time, and felt that there were some good things going on here long before I moved here. Sort of reminds me of present-day Charlotte in many ways.

There are some great glimpses of the just completed Spaghetti Junction, Lenox Square before it was massively remodeled, just one of the "King and Queen" towers, Fulton County Stadium, Willie B at Zoo Atlanta, etc. It captures a time that wasn't really all that long ago and yet seems to be from a whole other eon. I also love the old-school glimpse at Virginia-Highland (although contrary to the vid, I think the Highlands is more comparable to Adams-Morgan moreso than Georgetown, but YMMV). There is a dedication to Underground Atlanta when it was still freshly remodeled by the Rouse Company, not what it is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMiMQP4UpsQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyq6Q_wzhhA

If anyone has any recollections of the city at the time as well as other videos of Atlanta from this time, or even better yet, the 1970's, feel free to post them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 01:08 PM

859 posts, read 2,122,464 times
Wow, classic AVCB vids. I would agree, present day Charlotte. I wonder what progress the city would have made if not for the rush of development right before, during and after the Olympics. We still would be further along than any other SE city, but it just makes you wonder.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:34 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,258,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Wow, classic AVCB vids. I would agree, present day Charlotte. I wonder what progress the city would have made if not for the rush of development right before, during and after the Olympics. We still would be further along than any other SE city, but it just makes you wonder.

That's a good question. I'd think we'd be a larger peer to Charlotte, but above Nashville or Raleigh, perhaps with a population of around 3 or 4 million.

I remember a time when the Tampa Bay area down in Florida and Atlanta were roughly the same size, but even then, Atlanta felt more like a regional hub tham Tampa did then (and now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta