Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times

Advertisements

Okay, The Big Move for me is scheduled for next week. While I know that I won't be able to buy everything at once, I do eventually want to find a nice bed to lay my head in at night (I'm just going to sleep on an air mattress for a month or so) and some living room furniture.

I want to know where any of you bought your furniture and if there are any good deals out there to look out for. I did spend last Saturday going from one furniture store to another along I-85 up in Gwinnett, and it was an exercise in frustration and annoyance, but that's a story for another day. BTW, there is nothing "underpriced" about Underpriced Furniture.

I did see that Garden Ridge had beds and sofas and the prices were pretty reasonable, but I don't think they deliver, correct? I drive a sedan that won't have room for me to put a big headboard in, so where are some good places to rent a truck for a few hours? I have heard about Home Depot and U-Haul will rent trucks out to people for this. Anyone here have any experiences with them that you'd like to share?

I'm leaning strongly towards American Signature for a living room set.

Also, what about mattresses? My uncle told me there is some wholesale place where mattresses are sold wholesale at some warehouse on Fulton Industrial. Does anyone know about this place? I'm on a budget, and I really don't want to blow $1000 on a mattress.

And of course, what about IKEA? I like *some* of their furniture, but not all of it. They do have great accessories for the kitchen and bathroom though. Has anyone here bought any furniture from there? Also, how hard or easy is it to assemble their furniture? I'm not the most "handy" person in the world, but I can hold my own, but I was looking at some videos on YouTube on assembling IKEA furniture, and it doesn't exactly look like its the most easiest thing in the world.

I'm not ruling out buying a bed from there though. Are they sturdy enough to sleep and do other stuff like, um, reading? Yeah that's it, reading .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM

225 posts, read 715,064 times
Do a search for "mattresses" - there's a big thread on that on here somewhere... furniture, too.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 PM

285 posts, read 876,484 times
I ended up getting most of my furniture from craigslist and ikea...

Assembling ikea furniture is a PITA... I assembled a platform bed 2 end tables 2 3 drawer dressers and a kitchen bar table and it took me about 8 hours (including a few beer/frustration breaks)

Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

And of course, what about IKEA? I like *some* of their furniture, but not all of it. They do have great accessories for the kitchen and bathroom though. Has anyone here bought any furniture from there? Also, how hard or easy is it to assemble their furniture? I'm not the most "handy" person in the world, but I can hold my own, but I was looking at some videos on YouTube on assembling IKEA furniture, and it doesn't exactly look like its the most easiest thing in the world.

I have some Ikea stuff. Some of it was very easy to assemble (a chair), some of it was torture (a computer workstation).

I have a small couch from Ikea that is comfortable and is sturdy enough for my needs. The only assembly required was to screw the legs onto the bottom of the couch. Some of their couches are extremely UNcomfortable, though.

And some of their products are garbage that falls apart almost immediately.

Lately if I want a quality piece of furniture I usually go to Kudzu in Decatur, or any of the stores on antiques row in Chamblee.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:10 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Thank you so much for the responses so far. I did use the search function and read some threads. If anyone knows anything about:

Mattress Barn
Mattress Firm
Mattress King
Original Mattress Factory

let me know, either on here or you can DM me. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:16 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
When we moved down here, we bought new furniture for just about every room in the house. We got a dinette set and end/sofa tables from American Signature, leather sofas from Haverty's and our matresses from Original Mattress Factory. All of it is still holding up very well after two years of abuse by my kids, so I guess I can't complain. It's not Ethan Allen-quality stuff, but it suits us just fine.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 PM

262 posts, read 637,669 times
I highly recommend the JCPenney Furniture Outlet in Forest Park (not the catalog outlet, separate building). We just bought a set there. The prices are Ikea-comparable (like we bought a couch for ~$450) but IMO the quality is much higher. They also have Sealy and Simmons mattresses and a bunch of other stuff. They don't deliver either--we hired movers to move ours since we didn't have the manpower OR the vehicle. But I'm sure someone else can help you figure out where to rent a UHaul or van if you go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta