Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:23 PM

16,721 posts, read 29,591,050 times

Advertisements

Take a look...

Interesting AJC Article and Blog Entry: Race, Jobs, and Education in Atlanta (and Beyond):

Is race everything or no big thing in which grads get jobs? | Get Schooled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,317,135 times
Quite frankly I'm not surprise. Even in this so-called "post-racial President Obama" America I still notice in my life subtle nuances of racism.

From reading the article its unfortunate, that even other ethnic groups when they have familiarize themselves with the culture of America after arrival... Eventually they develop the same discriminating thought and social patterns.

Diversity is nice. Now true integration? Wake me up when this country and the world at large actually evolves to that point. Until then, I'll keep dreaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Take a look...

Interesting AJC Article and Blog Entry: Race, Jobs, and Education in Atlanta (and Beyond):

Is race everything or no big thing in which grads get jobs? | Get Schooled

Old 12-03-2009, 08:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,317,135 times
You know, here's a lesson or 2 that I wish that folks would take from this article:

1. Save your money. When you get a job, please don't fall into the habit of living paycheck to paycheck. If you are thinking of a Mercedes, settle for that Honda Accord with leather seats instead. Trying cooking at home instead of eating out.

Enyce? DKNY? The Gap? Really? Come on people, stop buying these dumb expensive clothes with the dumb names. Try buying some jeans and a shirt from Wal-Mart for a change.

2. Start a business. Sometimes it seems like so many of us black folk are afraid to take a risk. Our community suffers so much from putting our economic destiny in the hands of others and it always we end up having to learn this painful lesson over and over again whenever there is a depression/recession.

3. Learn to communicate, build ties among different cultural groups, and network. On my campus I keep seeing my fellow brothas obsessed over being "pro-black" and keeping it in the group. Under normal circumstances such traits would be admirable, but unfortunately we do not have that same strong inter-ethnic working relationship in the economic area like the Indian and Chinese communities.

For myself I establish everyday relationships with many different people of other nationailities like Pakistani, Somalian, Ethiopian, among others. I learn so much from gleaning into the insights of other people, that I feel like I could conquer the world! My fellow brothas and sistas should be entertaining the same thoughts and tactics.

That's my insight into this topic, not that anyone cares, of course...

Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 16,561 times
Interesting article.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,434,465 times
Why is race such a big issue in Atlanta? I'm from Michigan, and race is not a topic that's discussed NEARLY as much as it is discussed in Georgia. Not that Atlanta is racist, but it's just more RACE-CONSCIOUS than the Midwest and Michigan in particular. Is it the segregationist history of the South? I'd like to think that you guys have moved beyond that now.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:01 PM

214 posts, read 595,822 times
Most people who move here from more diverse, seemingly more tolerant areas without that history have the same thought, including me.

Atlanta is very openly race-conscious, whether people want to blame it on history or not. America in general (haven't done enough international travel to discuss the world) is just as race-conscious, just not as openly, and with it diluted because of more races than the predominant "black vs. white" that goes on here. At least that's how I look back on my decades in LA vs. my 9 or so years here.

No one is moving past anything, trust me. The same people with these views have kids they teach these views to, not to mention large HDTV's to show the gross disparity between blacks and whites in negative lights on the sickeningly repetitive local news.

Acid is right, but it seems hard for people to move out and embrace other cultures when there is so much inaccurate negativity floating around about their own.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:08 PM

23,509 posts, read 44,187,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Why is race such a big issue in Atlanta? I'm from Michigan, and race is not a topic that's discussed NEARLY as much as it is discussed in Georgia. Not that Atlanta is racist, but it's just more RACE-CONSCIOUS than the Midwest and Michigan in particular. Is it the segregationist history of the South? I'd like to think that you guys have moved beyond that now.
Another northerner with a superior attitude moving to Atlanta. Swell.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,434,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Another northerner with a superior attitude moving to Atlanta. Swell.
Superior attitude? I asked an honest question. Never did I say that the North is better than the South, or why can't Atlanta be more like Niles or anything like that. I don't feel like I'm superior to anyone. I was just asking about a perceived difference. Apparently that's taboo here. Sorry.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:50 PM

23,509 posts, read 44,187,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Superior attitude? I asked an honest question. Never did I say that the North is better than the South, or why can't Atlanta be more like Niles or anything like that. I don't feel like I'm superior to anyone. I was just asking about a perceived difference. Apparently that's taboo here. Sorry.
An honest question? I would call it a loaded question.
C'mon, people, can we lay off the 'racism in the South' threads for a while? They have really grown tiresome.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,027,271 times
I don't understand people from elsewhere get on the habit we have here about openly talking about "race issues"?

Ever seen Do the Right thing? That's what happens when you hold stuff in.

Not to mention, I'd rather be called the n-word or c-word to my face rather than behind my back. Makes it easier to punch that person in the face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: