Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,516 times

Advertisements

Good morning, I recently learned my office is consolidating to our Corp Office in Tucker. I am on the fence whether to pursue my career and move to GA from Orlando, FL...or possibly search out other options and stay in FL. Of the people I have spoken to, they have nothing but great things to say about Atlanta as a whole and all it has to offer, yet, Tucker has seen better days and not a place to look for a house to move in to.
I will most likely be renting a house for at least the 1st year if we decide to move, but in which areas should I be looking? Not too concerned about schools, as we have no children, but would like a decent area close to outside parks/trails and low crime rate. Granted there is crime wherever you go, but you know what I mean. I do not mind a little drive into Tucker, we have family and friends who live in Buckhead, Dunwoody, and Atlanta, so I know at aleast the NorthEast side of Atlanta is where we need to be, just not sure where??? would like to stay within a 1/2 drive of Tucker too.
Suggestions are appreicated, we will be up there in about 2 weeks to "scout" it out and this would help narrow down our options, thanks.

How is the job industry for HR Human Resources demand? My wife will be looking for a new position and she is well trained and educated in this field, we have heard the job opportunites are greater in Atlanta than Orlando, just curious of any feedback from persons in this same area.

Also, any good websites for Rental homes in Atlanta and the surrounding areas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:04 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I think Tucker is a nice small town. I have lots of clients that cannot afford the City of Decatur that have moved to Tucker. Tucker also has a very good Elementary School - Livsey Elementary School - Tucker, Georgia - GA - School overview

If you would like an area that is not as "suburban", check out the City of Decatur. www.decaturga.com. It would be a very easy commute to Tucker.

If you would like an area that is even more urban, www.candlerpark.org and www.inmanpark.org would be good choices to look at too and a very easy commute to Tucker.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
^ Good suggestions by George (as usual)...I would also consider the areas of Northlake/Emory (30345) and Oak Grove (30345/30033). These neighborhoods abut the western edge of Tucker, but are inside I-285 and have great access to I-85 and the city proper, Buckhead and the other intown neighborhoods.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate it....

George, any websites that we can research for rental properties?

I have heard there are alot of great homes for sale right now in Atlanta area, but we are not ready for this as we have property in Orlando we'll need to unload first.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:53 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
^ Good suggestions by George (as usual)...I would also consider the areas of Northlake/Emory (30345) and Oak Grove (30345/30033). These neighborhoods abut the western edge of Tucker, but are inside I-285 and have great access to I-85 and the city proper, Buckhead and the other intown neighborhoods.
Thanks Lovin Ditto to what she said too.

Here's a website to search for rentals and sales: Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com®

I would rent first so you could get the lay of the land and then purchase.

Welcome

Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM

119 posts, read 302,304 times
I've lived in and around Tucker for many years, and while there are parts of Tucker that have seen better days, I think it's unfair to say the whole Tucker area is on the decline. Tucker is not an incorporated city, just one zip code, and in it are homes valued at $500k or more all the way down to neighborhoods, especially apartment complexes, that are in decline.

As George said, the area around Livsey Elementary is good, and it's also near Henderson Park. I would also suggest looking at homes on and around Henderson Road and Midvale Road. A few places outside of Tucker to consider are the Northcrest subdivision off Northcreast Road in Doraville, 30340; the Smoke Rise neighborhood in Stone Mountain, 30087; and the Mountain Park neighborhood in Lilburn 30047.

If you want to look at crime in DeKalb County then check out this site: Crime Mapping - Map

It doesn't cover crime in the incorporated cities in the county, which have their own police departments, but all the areas I recommended will have crimes that occurred listed on the map. In those areas it's mostly occasional burglaries and car break-ins.

Another good site for home info is the Georgia Multiple Listing Service: Georgia Multiple Listing Service

You can search by zip code for homes for sale and rent.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:40 AM

5 posts, read 11,506 times
I love Tucker, Ga! I call it my hometown, and i sometimes wish i never moved from there. It is a great mixture of ethnicity and culture, and there is a sense of community down there. If you are going to move, i strongly suggest moving into the Smoke Rise are near Stone Mountain. Somewhere near the Smoke Rise Elementary school. I grew up around there and loved every bit of it! Ask me some quesitons about tucker, man. I would love to answer them!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Tucker is definitely not in decline. It's an extremwely stable area that has changed very little in 30+ years. For every bad thing one could say about Tucker, I could name five good things.

A new high school and library are under construction right now. A new middle school opened a few years ago. Numerous new restaurants and shops have opened in the last few years. The downtown strip is (very) slowly but surely being revitalized.

Granted, most of the apartment complexes in Tucker are bad news and some of the retail areas need improvement. Other than that, there isn't much to complain about.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Home Delivery View Post
I love Tucker, Ga! I call it my hometown, and i sometimes wish i never moved from there. It is a great mixture of ethnicity and culture, and there is a sense of community down there. If you are going to move, i strongly suggest moving into the Smoke Rise are near Stone Mountain. Somewhere near the Smoke Rise Elementary school. I grew up around there and loved every bit of it! Ask me some quesitons about tucker, man. I would love to answer them!
Smoke Rise is indeed a hidden gem...I'm surprised how few people seem to know about it...I think it's often dismissed because of the often negative connotations of a Stone Mountain address...and that's too bad.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 PM

Thank you all for the helpful tips/advice, we plan on going up in the beginning of December to view the area. I have made note of the suggested areas and will visit these, I appreciate the first hand knowledge from the locals, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta