Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times

Advertisements

Dozens arrested in Gwinnett drug raids *| ajc.com

Does anyone have any idea which part of Lawrenceville is affected?

A news conference is scheduled later today.

Very disturbing.

ETA:
This is part of national effort--WSB radio.
Over 3,000 raids--I think that is what they said.
One of the largest meth labs they have ever seen.

and
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/rio-police-expand-anti-168894.html?cxntlid=daylf_artr (broken link)

Last edited by TakeAhike; 10-22-2009 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:32 AM

81 posts, read 266,136 times
This IS very disturbing, to say the least!

Here is a better article about the story, with a little more detail:

Authorities arrest 38 members of drug cartel in metro Atlanta *| ajc.com

I'm recapping what the article said in case someone can't get the link to open up.

Basically, there were 300 people arrested nationwide, with 38 in the metro Atlanta area; there was a "conversion laboratory" in Lawrenceville.

The article ended with this: "La Familia's leadership here is out of business today," Rodney Benson, special agent in charge of the DEA's Atlanta Field Division, said at a press conference at the Gwinnett courthouse.

I hope that this Benson guy is right.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermom View Post
This IS very disturbing, to say the least!

Here is a better article about the story, with a little more detail:

Authorities arrest 38 members of drug cartel in metro Atlanta *| ajc.com

I'm recapping what the article said in case someone can't get the link to open up.

Basically, there were 300 people arrested nationwide, with 38 in the metro Atlanta area; there was a "conversion laboratory" in Lawrenceville.

The article ended with this: "La Familia's leadership here is out of business today," Rodney Benson, special agent in charge of the DEA's Atlanta Field Division, said at a press conference at the Gwinnett courthouse.

I hope that this Benson guy is right.
Thanks. Any idea of which part of the Lawrenceville area was involved?

I suppose 'near Lilburn'? Southern Lawrenceville?

ETA: Here's another item from last week>>>
http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/str...lid=daylf_artr

Buckingham Place in Duluth was mentioned. Not certain where that is.

From this Google map it looks like Buckingham Place is between Norcross and Duluth--perhaps near the Pinckneyville Dog park which I visit occasionally.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rl...ed=0CAwQ8gEwAA

'Gangs and drugs often go hand-in-hand, and nowhere is that more evident than in Atlanta. Authorities say gangs are attracted to Atlanta because of its size, location, large immigrant population and the city's reputation for being a drug trafficking hub.'

I think more attention should be given to this.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 10-22-2009 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Thanks. Any idea of which part of the Lawrenceville area was involved?
No. Maybe we'll get more info when they have a news conference. Did you say there was going to be another one today?

Quote:
Quote:
I think more attention should be given to this.
I agree. And by people in government office that can do something about it. I think that the mayor of Lawrenceville, Mayor Millsaps, and the City Council AND Gwinnett County Council ALL need to get together to make Gwinnett County a very unattractive place in which to commit a crime!

I like what Doug Nash, a candidate for city council, said at the forum about crime. He said that maybe we could enact laws within the city of Lawrenceville which bring about very stiff penalties for crimes committed. He also suggested a law involving the inability for someone with 3 felonies to be able to take up residence in Lawrenceville.

I don't know if these types of laws could actually be enacted, but it would be fantastic if they could.

The Gwinnett County Council seems very concerned about their own little corner of the woods, up by the Mall of Georgia where 3 of them reside. I honestly feel that they are sorely lacking in representing us here, within the city limits of Lawrenceville.

Sorry -- I kind of got off-track here a little bit. But I do feel that the people who were voted in to represent us need to get to work in the area of crime. And the Gwinnett County Council needs to represent the WHOLE county -- not just the area in which they live! I mean, what are the rest of us supposed to do? Keep track of where current county council members live and move there ourselves in order to be represented?

Old 10-22-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothermom View Post
I agree. And by people in government office that can do something about it. I think that the mayor of Lawrenceville, Mayor Millsaps, and the City Council AND Gwinnett County Council ALL need to get together to make Gwinnett County a very unattractive place in which to commit a crime!

I like what Doug Nash, a candidate for city council, said at the forum about crime. He said that maybe we could enact laws within the city of Lawrenceville which bring about very stiff penalties for crimes committed. He also suggested a law involving the inability for someone with 3 felonies to be able to take up residence in Lawrenceville.

I don't know if these types of laws could actually be enacted, but it would be fantastic if they could.

The Gwinnett County Council seems very concerned about their own little corner of the woods, up by the Mall of Georgia where 3 of them reside. I honestly feel that they are sorely lacking in representing us here, within the city limits of Lawrenceville.

Sorry -- I kind of got off-track here a little bit. But I do feel that the people who were voted in to represent us need to get to work in the area of crime. And the Gwinnett County Council needs to represent the WHOLE county -- not just the area in which they live! I mean, what are the rest of us supposed to do? Keep track of where current county council members live and move there ourselves in order to be represented?
I appreciate your comments--I live in DeKalb but visit Gwinnett and share concerns. I actually had no idea things had gotten to this point and I will be more cautious--wherever I am.

It's all over the metro area--to greater or lesser degrees. There was a story yesterday about the murder of the bartender in Little 5 Points--the defendant had some sort of a gang symbol on his face--the judge ordered him to start talking. Every county/municipality is going to have to take aggressive action--jmo.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Every county/municipality is going to have to take aggressive action--jmo.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree. The time for wishful thinking is over as far as this type of crime goes.

One thing I can say, though, is that I appreciate the efforts of the law enforcement agencies, both on a local and state level.

These criminals are moving into the Atlanta area like some sort of vermin, ruining our towns, our schools, our quality of life and our peace of mind. They aren't going to go away on their own. It's going to take aggressive action from the "good guys". I love that the judge ordered that guy to start talking -- I assume, you mean, to name names of people he was associated with, or who was associated with the crimes.

We need tough judges like this who are more concerned with the safety of the citizens than they are the demise vs. rehabilitation of the defendant.

And we citizens need to follow the rulings of these judges, the best we can, so that we can make informed decisions when the elections roll around.

Thanks for letting me get back up on my soapbox again.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:22 PM

Uh-oh. I should clarify something I wrote earlier: I said I like what Doug Nash, candidate, said at the forum about crime. The forum wasn't about crime. It was a forum to meet the candidates for city council.

What I SHOULD have said is that I like what Doug Nash, candidate, said about crime at the forum.

Just thought I should probably clarify that.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Yes, I agree. The time for wishful thinking is over as far as this type of crime goes.

And we citizens need to follow the rulings of these judges, the best we can, so that we can make informed decisions when the elections roll around.

Thanks for letting me get back up on my soapbox again.[/quote]
----

It's a good soapbox to have.

Things seem to be changing and it is every individual's responsibility to be aware of security issues as there is not enough $$ increase law enforcement as radically as the need would seem to indicate.

I'll bet those in law enforcement have to maintain a rigorous stress management program. They deserve major credit and financial rewards.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I'll bet those in law enforcement have to maintain a rigorous stress management program. They deserve major credit and financial rewards.
[/quote]

Here, here! It would be nice if they at least got personal recognition for it.

Thank you for posting the information on this drug bust.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Here, here! It would be nice if they at least got personal recognition for it.

Thank you for posting the information on this drug bust.[/quote]

I just saw the end of the story on one channel. Looks like a very nice neighborhood--the neighbor interviewed had no idea anything like that was going on.

That was fine police work.
http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/age...le-169790.html
'Gwinnett police officers raided 10 locations in that county alone. Rodney Benson, special agent in charge of the DEA's Atlanta Field Division, said metro Atlanta, Dallas and the Los Angeles area were La Familia's biggest operational centers.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta