Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 20,815 times

Advertisements

Okay, for two years now I've been using you guys' opinions to form some of my thoughts about certain places. I love the fact that we can network and talk about our various areas from people who actually live or lived there, so I need your HELP!!! Please!!!

I'm from Chicago, moved to Los Angeles. I thought this is where I wanted my life to be, now I'm questioning that.

I have a 6 year old son, and I don't think I'll like the influence LA would have on him. Also his mother is more of a "simple life" kinda person and I think LA may be too fast paced for her. I haven't moved them out here as of yet because I wanted to get settled first before bringing them.

As I'm getting settled , I'm not liking some things and now feel like this isn't the place I want to raise my son. The rent being so very expensive makes me feel like a move to another place would offer me better choices for my money. In LA you either get a rat hole in a decent area or a palace in a crap hole of a neighborhood. And "Good" neighborhoods are just way out of my price range.

I'm trying to compare 5 places (I know right?) . Here's my choices, tell me what you think.......

1.Go back to Chicago. Love my city! Are some crap holes but I know where to be and where not to be. Cons-Not so cheap, cold.

2. Atlanta-I'm a young African American but I don't care about the hype at all. Can I get southern hospitality mixed with a lil' urban here? Safe places to raise my son with decent schools? Natural disaster issues?

3. Houston- Is it cheap? Is there a big threat of a hurricane coming and wiping out what I'm working to build?

4. Dallas-I have no reasons for Dallas at all, but I heard it's better than Houston. So I included to somewhat consider.

5. Arizona- Not sure where in AZ, but I heard bad things about Scottsdale. I've heard Phnx is ok.

So those are my choices....can you help?

P.S. My profile-I'm 25, black, 1 son, some college (not much though. plan to return ASAP), management experience with Wal-mart, Starbucks, Rosetta Stone (though I'm not really interested in staying in the customer service field much. If I have to, I will for the money. But I want to try my hand at banking, real estate, and really any decent paying desk job until I finish school.

ALSO A GOOD BLACK CHURCH PRESENCE WOULD BE GREAT!

Thanks guys for your help! I'm counting on you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:17 AM

383 posts, read 1,589,845 times
If I were you, I would go first with Atlanta than both Texas cities. If you're really looking for real estate career, go to Texas. For banking, Dallas and Atlanta are the best bet.

If you really mind natural disasters, stay away from Houston. Flooding every year, hurricanes almost every year. There are some floods in Atlanta right now, but it's occasional. If you hate extremely hot weather, don't go to Phoenix (it's weather is kind of natural disaster for me )

MJay

Old 10-02-2009, 08:48 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
I've lived in LA and currently live in Atlanta, and I've visited Houston and Dallas a few times. From my experiences and what I know from friends and family, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are all draws for African-American families and very similar. Deciding among those would depend on personal preferences and probably where you're more likely to find work in your field. I don't think you can go wrong in either city, employment notwithstanding.

My mother moved us out of LA for pretty much the same reason, wanted to raise me in a safe environment. I have loved living in Atlanta, and I think it can be a positive environment for your son to see so many African Americans in business and politics out here. It can create healthy self-esteem and also be good for you networking wise.

As for as the urban experience, you can definitely find that in Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta, but those areas are generally more expensive, of course. In Atlanta, you could be in a transition neighborhood for an urban experience, but the education options wouldn't be the best. You could do a suburban lifestyle, and your options for education and affordability open up.

Of those cities, to me it comes down to your ability to find work. To offer more specific insight on Atlanta, it would depend on your budget, because that would determine what kind of lifestyle (urban vs. suburban) you would have.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
If I were the OP, I would narrow my search to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston. Then visit the three and decide which one you like.

Im from LA as well and I live in Dallas. I feel very at home here. Good food, good enough weather (I like heat), nice people, large international communities, etc. But you would find that in Atlanta and Houston too.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:46 AM

156 posts, read 433,434 times
Safety is a huge concern in Atlanta and the schools aren't very good. When my wife and I have kids we'll be moving on.

The culture in Atlanta is not what we expected, and the more time we spend here the less we like it. The bling culture is way too pervasive here.

On the plus side, there are some good housing opportunities, but you have to be very careful on where you decide to buy. The cheap intown locations are dangerous, and if you get too far outside the traffic is a nightmare.

If you pick Atlanta definitely get a job first. I'm in real estate and work with bankers daily. The odds of finding something in those fields here are very slim. There are so many good people with roots here that are out of work, so it's easy for employers to find great talent cheaply.

Sorry to be down on Atlanta, but the crime, jobs, culture, and traffic are real downers for me. Good luck regardless.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:17 PM

11 posts, read 20,815 times
@MJ- Thanks, yea nat disasters are kinda a problem for me. Not trying to build something that'll get washed away! ATL is at the top of the list.

@Biz- Thank you. You know I'm okay with not having a lavish lifestyle for awhile. I just want to be able to achieve it before I'm 50! I know I have work to do to get to where I want, but I want to be in a place that while I'm climbing, I can still give my son a good school and decent backyard to play in. Thanks for your input. Can you subscribe to this thread? I'd really like more of your input when I have questions. Thank you again.

@LANat-Yea those r the top 3 and the plan. Quit reading my mind! LOL Thanks

@mceis-Thank you. I appreciate your take on it for sure. I will certainly consider what you've said

Old 10-02-2009, 03:17 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam1 View Post
Okay, for two years now I've been using you guys' opinions to form some of my thoughts about certain places. I love the fact that we can network and talk about our various areas from people who actually live or lived there, so I need your HELP!!! Please!!!

I'm from Chicago, moved to Los Angeles. I thought this is where I wanted my life to be, now I'm questioning that.

I have a 6 year old son, and I don't think I'll like the influence LA would have on him. Also his mother is more of a "simple life" kinda person and I think LA may be too fast paced for her. I haven't moved them out here as of yet because I wanted to get settled first before bringing them.

As I'm getting settled , I'm not liking some things and now feel like this isn't the place I want to raise my son. The rent being so very expensive makes me feel like a move to another place would offer me better choices for my money. In LA you either get a rat hole in a decent area or a palace in a crap hole of a neighborhood. And "Good" neighborhoods are just way out of my price range.

I'm trying to compare 5 places (I know right?) . Here's my choices, tell me what you think.......

1.Go back to Chicago. Love my city! Are some crap holes but I know where to be and where not to be. Cons-Not so cheap, cold.

2. Atlanta-I'm a young African American but I don't care about the hype at all. Can I get southern hospitality mixed with a lil' urban here? Safe places to raise my son with decent schools? Natural disaster issues?

3. Houston- Is it cheap? Is there a big threat of a hurricane coming and wiping out what I'm working to build?

4. Dallas-I have no reasons for Dallas at all, but I heard it's better than Houston. So I included to somewhat consider.

5. Arizona- Not sure where in AZ, but I heard bad things about Scottsdale. I've heard Phnx is ok.

So those are my choices....can you help?

P.S. My profile-I'm 25, black, 1 son, some college (not much though. plan to return ASAP), management experience with Wal-mart, Starbucks, Rosetta Stone (though I'm not really interested in staying in the customer service field much. If I have to, I will for the money. But I want to try my hand at banking, real estate, and really any decent paying desk job until I finish school.

ALSO A GOOD BLACK CHURCH PRESENCE WOULD BE GREAT!

Thanks guys for your help! I'm counting on you!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cities on your list; however, I was born and raised in Atlanta and my hometown has definitely been great to me. That is why I have not left. I am also an African-American male (27 years old) and the entertainment here for African-Americans is almost unparalleled! To each his own though and good luck in your search.

BTW, NCR just relocated their HQ to Duluth, GA (a suburb of Atlanta) and they currently have a lot of jobs available. The website is www.ncr.com.

If you visit this weekend, there is going to be a large step show at Morehouse college and Mo'Nique is filming her new BET talk show here as well. So be sure to get tickets!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:50 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
If I were you, I would go first with Atlanta than both Texas cities. If you're really looking for real estate career, go to Texas. For banking, Dallas and Atlanta are the best bet.

If you really mind natural disasters, stay away from Houston. Flooding every year, hurricanes almost every year. There are some floods in Atlanta right now, but it's occasional. If you hate extremely hot weather, don't go to Phoenix (it's weather is kind of natural disaster for me )

MJay
I would hardly say that any weather event that happened in Houston was a "disaster". And while it is possible, I think it's safe to say that Houstonians arent any more worried about hurricanes than Atlantans are about tornadoes.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 PM

587 posts, read 1,624,558 times
I don't have much to offer, but wanted to wish bcam the best of luck in whichever city he chooses. I think it is fantastic that you are trying to find a great place to raise your son.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,055 times
No doubt...I'll subscribe!

By the way, by lifestyle, I was referring more to if you prefer a more urban environment or a a more suburban environment, not really living lavish.

Urban areas in Atlanta are more walkable, more accessible to mass transit, more street level retail (not as many strip malls/parking lots etc.), and have a more communal feeling (public parks, pools, etc) and of course closer to nightlife. The suburban areas (outside I-285) are car-dependent, more privatized (your own large lawn, usually in a private-ish subdivision, etc.), newer, and less pedestrian friendly. However, the suburbs are less expensive and you have more options in terms of great schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam1 View Post
@MJ- Thanks, yea nat disasters are kinda a problem for me. Not trying to build something that'll get washed away! ATL is at the top of the list.

@Biz- Thank you. You know I'm okay with not having a lavish lifestyle for awhile. I just want to be able to achieve it before I'm 50! I know I have work to do to get to where I want, but I want to be in a place that while I'm climbing, I can still give my son a good school and decent backyard to play in. Thanks for your input. Can you subscribe to this thread? I'd really like more of your input when I have questions. Thank you again.

@LANat-Yea those r the top 3 and the plan. Quit reading my mind! LOL Thanks

@mceis-Thank you. I appreciate your take on it for sure. I will certainly consider what you've said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta