Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,918 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was given a citation a month ago for speeding on Windward parkway.

The police officer said he was stopped at Market Street intersection and followed me till marconi drive. There were no red lights anywhere so I did not stop. But he stated - he had started to drive from zero at Market Street and caught up with me before Marconi Drive. He said he had it on video. The citation has no check marks for radar, vascar. He said mine was the only car going at 55 in a zone of 40.

I was surprised because I had family with me and would not speed with them in the car. But since I did glance once or twice and was sure I was within 5-10 miles of the speed limit, I did not read my speed anywhere close to 55!!!

This happened on a Saturday morning.

Is video valid as evidence?
How do calibration and other details get validated from the police officer's side? When my wife asked him if his speedometer was caliberated, he said it was a new car so it is always caliberated.

I was not clocked by radar or vascar. What method of speed measurement is this?

If I tried to catch up with someone who was driving at 45mph, I would be driving at speeds of more than 55 when I start from zero. What speed is clocked then? - 55 or 45?

Any help will be appreciated that can answer these questions.

Thanks,
LG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,376,691 times
Ah the lovely PACING ticket for ALWAYS 15 over.

fight it. to pace you, he technically has to follow you and match your speed for a mile at least.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:31 PM

705 posts, read 1,111,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Ah the lovely PACING ticket for ALWAYS 15 over.

fight it. to pace you, he technically has to follow you and match your speed for a mile at least.
There is no statutory requirement to follow for at least a mile. The officer merely has to testify that he followed the target vehicle at XX speed for XX distance or time. Usually the officer will indicate how far the vehicle was followed.

If there is video that will be introduced as evidence at court you are allowed to view it before court. Not being familiar with the officer's side of this, and only going by the info in your post, if the officer used his speedometer and has it on video, the video display will show his speed, which he will say is your speed. I'd suggest you talk to the prosecutor and look at the video. But I'd also recommend you retain counsel and never go before a judge without a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta