Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 AM

85 posts, read 587,010 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate.. we have read a lot about the East Cobb area.. when we look for houses and we write "east cobb" comes up the Marrietta homes... but then you look in the gov web for Cobb county and says: Marrietta schools don't belong to the East Cobb school system.
Does someone clarify this? we want the names of the great neighborhoods in East Cobb... the ones with the award winning schools sytem. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 08:58 AM

985 posts, read 5,757,848 times
East cobb is "loose term" for unincorporated part of Marietta (East of city of Marietta), not city of Marietta itself. Walton, Pope and Lassister highs are also considered good East Cobb schools. Just search under those schools. Basically, anything east of I-75 is considered East Cobb while west of I-75 is considered West Cobb.

Search on the site. There are a lot of good East Cobbs related infos.

From East Cobb to downtown is about 1 hour.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,607 times
Marietta is technically located in East Cobb but is further out on 75. The East Cobb that you may be referring to is a bit closer to Sandy Springs. Neighborhoods abound all along Johnson Ferry, Terrell Mill, Lower Roswell Road, Post Oak Tritt, Sewell Mill, just to name a few. If you travel East on Johnson Ferry Road you will eventually cross over the Chattahoochee River. That is where East Cobb begins. I don't know the names of the school systems there but i'm sure other posters will.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:27 AM

Thanks for all this advice! One hour commute sounds terrible! I've been checking in Craigslist and East Cobb is a very desirable neighborhood, and houses look nice as well.

A question for you Atlantians: for example here in Boston the lines of our T go through specific areas like the Green line goes through the "preppy part of town".. the blue line is like the "working class" line taking you to the cheaper neighborhoods, red line takes you to the south and also Harvard area.

Is there such thing as a "nicer" MARTA station along nice neighborhoods? seems to me the line that goes north is where everyone wants to live.

What about the other lines of the MARTA, when I look at houses I never see any adds except for the northern part or Peachtree area. Is anything wrong with the other areas of town? thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,607 times
Coupla things:
first of all, we are not Atlantians...but Atlantans. Just want to clarify so it doesn't look like our heads glow.
Second of all, get rid of any possible connection between the T and Marta. MARTA has a very LONG way to go before it even resembles slightly what the T offers. Unless there is a major event taking place in Atlanta or people going to the Airport, Marta is not widely used for public transportation.
Without getting into too much of a political discussion, MARTA stations have been vetoed by some areas because of the crime they bring to those areas. Because Atlanta has never been a city that relies on public transportation, public transportation was resigned to those who couldn't afford cars. But now, it's out of control...the city is in desperate need of a good system, but many are unwilling to use it and give up their cars...and only see the negative benefits to adding a station to their neighborhood. I could go on and on but bottom line is Atlanta is really a car-city.
Nicer stations...Dunwoody.
Decatur is also a more popular line and offers a bit more of the in-town lifestyle. If you are looking for a place to live like Brookline, Newton or a nicer suburb of MA that also offers train service into town and doesn't have lots of vagrants standing by the turnstiles, Dunwoody may be your answer.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 AM

254 posts, read 1,057,870 times
I know I have looked at a house or 2 in the east cobb area that says walk to marta so they all can't be bad areas (though TBH I have no idea..I did drive by houses in that area when we were down there and it was nice) We also drove by a nice marta station in Sandy Springs.

The Atlantians thing is funny! I live in the lake norman area of Charlotte and one person kept referring to us as Normies! I was like ..umm..yeah I think not!!! He couldnt' wait to become a normie

The pp was correct about the good highschools in East Cobb (as I have heard from a couple of people there) We'll be doing school visits soon!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:05 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,161 times
[quote=melkat;624928]I know I have looked at a house or 2 in the east cobb area that says walk to marta so they all can't be bad areas (though TBH I have no idea..I did drive by houses in that area when we were down there and it was nice) We also drove by a nice marta station in Sandy Springs.

QUOTE]

I do not know where such a Marta station would be....maybe it was referring to the Cobb Transit System? Marta does not go anywhere near east Cobb, unless you consider the North Springs or Dunwoody stations, which are not even close. One thing to keep in mind about E. Cobb is it's remoteness - the majority of the nicer neighborhoods sit equidistant from either 75 or 400, which can be a pain when you want to go anywhere, which you probably will b/c the area itself does not offer much in the way of unique shopping, eating, or entertainment. Another thing to keep in mind is that, while ECobb schools generally are pretty good, it is not as if they are heads and shoulders above all other schools in the Metro area. There are other schools (Roswell, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Lakeside area of Dekalb) that are fairly comparable, and in more desirable locations, physically. Just wanted to throw that out there, b/c I've seen a lot of my 30-something friends move to ECobb b/c the AJC made it sound like they were the only schools worth going to and, my friends being non-natives who didn't want to do any research, moved out there and now hate being such a long drive out.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:58 PM

I agree space lord..I just posted something yesterday about not having to have the *best* school but one that is *best* for my kids..we are looking at Roswell as well well and Alpharetta..I'll try to find that house listing and post what it said..as I mentioned I have no idea..just going by what was printed

Old 04-25-2007, 01:48 PM

Great advice from you all. Interesting that having a "T" Atlanta is basically a car city.
This means we need 2 cars? I guess the answer is yes.
I'll check more into the neighborhoods you guys talk about, real estate people are just offering me areas like Buckhead, or Sandy Springs, but I imagine there is more around that 2 or 3 nice places.
We are tired of expensive areas, so I hope we find a nice place where our mortgage can be lower.
I also agree, that if some of this school systems are so good, I imagine that around Atlanta other schools are as competitive and nice as well.
To be realistic... if someone lives in Marrietta, Sandy Springs, and on... can these people still go out to a nice dinner in town?
I don't live inside Boston but I still love going out every weekend to a nice theater or show or just a nice restaurant. But again I have the T next to me.
If we move to one of this nice places is not to far from the fun things?
People in Atlanta should be very proud of their school system.. we are checking Florida as well few months ago and .. schools are a disaster.. houses are expensive and if you get into a nice place people send their kids to academys starting at 17K a year per kid.. I just think is ridiculous.
So this takes you to : ok you have a nice house but a terrible school.
Funny about the atlantians ha ha.. sorry my English is not exactly perfect!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:42 AM

okay I found the listing that says "walk to Marta" Well it says: "Walk to Marta, Walk to Schools, Walk to Shopping" The house is in Princeton West..as I said I have zero idea..just going by what it says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta