Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:03 AM

642 posts, read 2,219,027 times

Advertisements

Just wondering since I see this advertised in some of the home magazines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 05:54 PM

108 posts, read 475,254 times
Yes, but I live in north Georgia, where that is the norm. Instant equity, baby!

Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM

739 posts, read 830,478 times
What you are asking is a common item in Georgia. You probably don't want to use the guys in the magazines though. You would need to do several things; determine what your budget can handle. Any good mortgage banker can assist you with this or there are numerous "How much house can I afford?" calculators on the web (try SmartMoney.com). Second, determine just how much square footage you need and how nice the finishes and features should be. Construction costs can vary dramatically depending on these finishes. Next, select a house plan that offers the square footage and floor plan you like. Try some of the online architects like Frankbetz.com or southernliving.com Some of these can give you an idea of what they might cost to build. You may want to figure on a range of $80 to $140 per square foot. For $140 per square foot you'll get custom cabinets, granite countertops, high-end appliances, tons of custom mouldings, etc. Next, ask around to find out who the good builders are in your area. They should have been in business for several years and have excellent references. Also, ask for references from their materials suppliers - you don't want problems with leins. Figure that most builders charge cost plus about 20%. And if you make changes during construction, you'll get hit with change order penalties. Be sure to get everything in writing and get a good attorney to review your agreement. If you are planning to build anywhere near the Atlanta area, call the Atlanta Homebuilders Association for more information. Good Luck!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
What you are asking is a common item in Georgia. You probably don't want to use the guys in the magazines though. You would need to do several things; determine what your budget can handle. Any good mortgage banker can assist you with this or there are numerous "How much house can I afford?" calculators on the web (try SmartMoney.com). Second, determine just how much square footage you need and how nice the finishes and features should be. Construction costs can vary dramatically depending on these finishes. Next, select a house plan that offers the square footage and floor plan you like. Try some of the online architects like Frankbetz.com or southernliving.com Some of these can give you an idea of what they might cost to build. You may want to figure on a range of $80 to $140 per square foot. For $140 per square foot you'll get custom cabinets, granite countertops, high-end appliances, tons of custom mouldings, etc. Next, ask around to find out who the good builders are in your area. They should have been in business for several years and have excellent references. Also, ask for references from their materials suppliers - you don't want problems with leins. Figure that most builders charge cost plus about 20%. And if you make changes during construction, you'll get hit with change order penalties. Be sure to get everything in writing and get a good attorney to review your agreement. If you are planning to build anywhere near the Atlanta area, call the Atlanta Homebuilders Association for more information. Good Luck!
Thanks for the info. Right now it's just another possible consideration.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 15,185 times
Would this be a true statement? The more square footage home you are building the better price you get per square foot. In other words a person building a 2500 square foot home might pay more per square foot than a person who is building a 5000 square foot home

Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Damn I had forgotten that I posted that. It was almost 2 years ago not long after I had moved to Georgia.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keelow View Post
Would this be a true statement? The more square footage home you are building the better price you get per square foot. In other words a person building a 2500 square foot home might pay more per square foot than a person who is building a 5000 square foot home
It can be either true or false ... there are far too many variables involved to make such a general statement.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Did you ever end up custom building or did you take the easy route, and bought a tract house from a builder/subdivision?

I have been considering the same for quite some time. I'm still debating, but these houses are getting more affordable. Much more to think about.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
i know this is old, but since its been brought back up i'll throw in my opinion.

if you're talking about someone like "america's home place" or a comparible builder, always get other bids. their prices look appealing because they don't include the lot. i've bid against them on a few houses, and jobs they were pricing at $69/sq. ft., I bid @ $55/sq. ft. And my price was for a much higher quality.

These type of builders use the absolute cheapest materials and furnishings. They do a good job managing the process, but the price is out of line.

Quote:
The more square footage home you are building the better price you get per square foot. In other words a person building a 2500 square foot home might pay more per square foot than a person who is building a 5000 square foot home
that can't be answered without specifics. if you were building two identical houses (same kitchen, baths) and one just had larger rooms, yes the price per foot could be lower.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Did you ever end up custom building or did you take the easy route, and bought a tract house from a builder/subdivision?

I have been considering the same for quite some time. I'm still debating, but these houses are getting more affordable. Much more to think about.
Actually we took the affordable route and purchased a new home in a subdivision out here in Douglasville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: