Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:47 AM

543 posts, read 1,318,402 times

Advertisements

The perception is that Augusta and Savannah are a notch or two above the rest of the 2nd tier cities. Why is that? I think it's because of their distance from Atlanta that makes them more independent. With no huge city in close proximity Augusta can just spread it's growth, even across state lines. With the exception of Brunswick, Savannah has authority of coastal GA. With investments of ports, beaches, tourism and having I-95 running thru you, Savannah can become the next big city in the south. Ive never been to Columbus but the notion is it has a great population but nothing else. Columbus finds itself competing with Atl's suburbs for jobs and development. Macon has the closest proximity to Atlanta and has benefited greatly for it. Macon has amazing interstate access which gives Macon its big city feel and potenial high-speed rail in its future. But I feel Mac-town is slowly becoming an Atlanta suburbs. Sandy Springs is almost as big as Macon, so the idea of that is not too far-fetched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM

913 posts, read 2,987,351 times
I think it is a Catch-22 for Columbus and Macon being so close to Atlanta. Tons of reason why too.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:00 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,105,419 times
Hey Mike, I'm from Macon but I'm not one of these "my city is first at everything" guys so I will tell you just how it is.

First off, when you take places like Sandy Springs, I wouldnt consider them anywhere near the same level as Macon or even Albany or Brunswick....as those cities are all the hub cities of their metro area...with their own inner city and suburbs, and historic downtowns/districs, etc.

Sandy Springs is one of many "extensions" claimed as "cities" that you see on the outskirts of many other major cities like ATL. Its more like an ATL "community" so i just cant see it on the same level as a "hub" city of another metro.

Also, Augusta and Savannah are a notch above the other 2nd tier cities because Augusta's metro dwarfs all the others, and Savannah's inner city is much more dense and "city" than the others, plus all of its tourism, history, beaches, etc. just puts it on a complete other level.

It looks like Columbus has more planned growth than the other 2nd Tier cities, but you said you havent been there, and I can tell you that riding around that town it definetly looks more like a town 75,000 than one that is approaching 200,000.

In other words, it looks and feels more similar to an Albany, GA than it does to a
Dayton, OH or Little Rock, Arkansas and other cities that are closer to its listed city population.

Macon looks and feels bigger than is population, but still doest look/feel as big as Augusta and Savannah..and doesnt have as many things.

So I would say the perception is more of a reality, Augusta and Savannah are ahead of Macon and Columbus.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:03 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,105,419 times
If all the planned growth comes through for Columbus I dont see how it can remain to feel so "country" though...so then my opinion would change.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,201,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
But I feel Mac-town is slowly becoming an Atlanta suburbs. Sandy Springs is almost as big as Macon, so the idea of that is not too far-fetched.
Sandy Springs also borders Atlanta and is 10 miles from downtown. Macon is about 85 miles away with a wide swath of suburbs and rural country between. Macon isn't and won't be a suburb of Atlanta.

If you want some comparisons, look at New England. Worcester is 50 miles from Boston and not considered a suburb. Providence is also 50 miles from Boston and not a suburb. Manchester, NH is about 60 miles from Boston and not a suburb.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:31 PM

With the way Atlanta has been growing, Macon is very limited when it comes to being a metro area. To the south Warner Robins has grown into a smaller Macon. The way for Macon to grow is up and Columbus needs better access to interstates and highways. There is no shame in taking the back-seat to Augusta or Savannah, they are somewhat have an advantage. Columbus has 200,000 residents, is that because of Fort Benning alone?

Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 PM

117 posts, read 507,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
With the way Atlanta has been growing, Macon is very limited when it comes to being a metro area. To the south Warner Robins has grown into a smaller Macon. The way for Macon to grow is up and Columbus needs better access to interstates and highways. There is no shame in taking the back-seat to Augusta or Savannah, they are somewhat have an advantage. Columbus has 200,000 residents, is that because of Fort Benning alone?
The majority of Ft. Bennings population would be included with Chattahoochee County not Columbus-Muscogee.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:50 PM

they must retire than move to Columbus. Somehow Columbus managed to grow up to 200,000 in population and remained under the radar. Maybe you know something I dont.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 AM

44 posts, read 90,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart03 View Post
The majority of Ft. Bennings population would be included with Chattahoochee County not Columbus-Muscogee.
Good post.
AtlCol says Benning is part of Muscogee County Popl.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 PM

Can some explain why Macon has more than Columbus in retail square footage? But Columbus doubles Macon in population. Im pretty sure Floridian heading to ATL say," Hey lets stop in Macon to shop" and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta