Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 09:36 PM

17 posts, read 144,725 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'll be moving to Georgia from England shortly. I have found a nice apartment in Marietta and considering to rent. Any advice on life in Marietta will be very much appreciated. How is crime in the area? Is it easy to use MARTA to downtown Atlanta from Marietta?

I have read several posts on this forum and almost everyone mentions color! I must oblige by saying that I am black. I am looking for a diverse community. My budget is tight, I can afford a rent of $600 a month maximum. Any info will be appreciated, cheers!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2006, 09:29 AM

722 posts, read 3,329,868 times
welcome to Atlanta. First of all, you'll find a very large and thriving black population here, but it might be a lottle different from black culture in England. This metro area is actually the 3rd largest in black population next to New York and Chicago ( we're about to pass Chicago). Besides black people, there is a growing Hispanic and Asian community. Anyway, Marietta is nice and you can find all types of housing for different income levels. Intown Marietta is lower income while the areas outside of it are upper income. You can't take Marta to Atlanta from Marietta or anywhere in Cobb county ( I believe), but it isn't too long of a drive to the city. I'm pretty sure there are some means of public transit in Cobb county. You'll find that most of the US, especially metro Atlanta is built around the automobile, unlike England. Crime is not too bad in Cobb but is on the rise in some areas. Smyrna, Mabelton, South Cobb and inner city Marietta have higher crime rates. East Cobb, and NW Cobb have lower crime rates.

Speaking of diversity, I have some questions for you. What is the diversity in the UK like and where is it concentrated?

Old 07-09-2006, 09:54 AM

56 posts, read 302,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027
welcome to Atlanta. First of all, you'll find a very large and thriving black population here, but it might be a lottle different from black culture in England. This metro area is actually the 3rd largest in black population next to New York and Chicago ( we're about to pass Chicago). Besides black people, there is a growing Hispanic and Asian community. Anyway, Marietta is nice and you can find all types of housing for different income levels. Intown Marietta is lower income while the areas outside of it are upper income. You can't take Marta to Atlanta from Marietta or anywhere in Cobb county ( I believe), but it isn't too long of a drive to the city. I'm pretty sure there are some means of public transit in Cobb county. You'll find that most of the US, especially metro Atlanta is built around the automobile, unlike England. Crime is not too bad in Cobb but is on the rise in some areas. Smyrna, Mabelton, South Cobb and inner city Marietta have higher crime rates. East Cobb, and NW Cobb have lower crime rates.

Speaking of diversity, I have some questions for you. What is the diversity in the UK like and where is it concentrated?

LOL A lot different from England, I spent a year living outside of London from Paulding County GA.

Violent crime is a lot worse is the USA in general. Marrietta, depends on where? There some sections of Marrietta I really would not live. West and North Marrietta is nice as is the very east side of Marrietta, Marrietta is a hugh area. On a whole Cobb county, the county Marrietta is in, has the best transportation in Atlanta but........it is nothing like the TUBE or the trains or the busses in England, I found Europe to be far superior to anything in the USA when it comes to public transportation. You will really need a car, the USA is auto oriented everywhere, a few major urban areas like NY and Chicago are okay but many jobs in Ga will not hire people without a car. Be careful, I know of no nice places in Cobb county for 600 a month it's more like 800 to 1200 a month. If you haven't seen the place do not rent it yet! Please check them out! There are some decent places near Windy Hill in marrietta not too expensive but.... if you have kids I wouldn't live there, okay for Adults. Good Luck

PM if you want I can tell you more.

Last edited by southernguyGA; 07-09-2006 at 10:01 AM..

Old 07-10-2006, 12:14 PM

985 posts, read 5,777,791 times
I agree. Rent at my location (duluth, ga) apartment is 750 to 850 for one bedroom, 1000 to 1200 for two bedooms. So anything below you got to be very carefully.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:36 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,361,651 times
It is going to be really tough to find a good apartment in Marietta for $600. You can find stuff but they will be dirty, crime/bug infested and falling apart. Cobb County Transit (CCT) does serve the Marietta area but on a fairly limited basis. There are some very limited routes which also serve some other parts of Cobb County. There is a CCT express bus which goes from Marietta to DT ATL so there is access to the city but it will only run during rush our and if you need to do anything around Marietta you will be doing a lot of walking. MARTA only serves Fulton and Dekalb counties. Areas close to the city have fairly good bus service but most parts of northern & southern Fulton and eastern Dekalb have poor service. The rail service is meant almost primarily for commuters and can not be used like the Tube. And of course MARTA rail doesn't come close to Marietta so you won't have the option of using it any way.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:44 PM

56 posts, read 302,541 times
XXMAN you just reminded me, Atlanta is a little strange in that the city is divided by counties.

The real city is in Fulton county but there are parts of the city area in other counties and like said, the transit system on a whole sucks and doesn't serve all areas. Cabs are too costly.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:09 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,361,651 times
I think most U.S. cities are like this. The main city is in one county (or parts of a couple of counties) and most suburbs are in surrounding counties. The difference is most cities are smart enough to have a regional transportation system which covers the entire region instead of each county have their own system.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
I think most U.S. cities are like this. The main city is in one county (or parts of a couple of counties) and most suburbs are in surrounding counties. The difference is most cities are smart enough to have a regional transportation system which covers the entire region instead of each county have their own system.
Well, it's not a matter of Atlanta being smart enough to have cross county transportation, it's a matter of some counties voting not to have MARTA in their county.

As for housing, if you look to other counties like DeKalb, perhaps you will find housing more in your price range. I live in DeKalb county and so do most of my friends, or Fulton and our housing is around or less than 600 a month.

Also, MARTA should not be relied on as long transportation option, as it is limited, slow, and annoying.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:45 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,724,395 times
20 years ago I lived in Hidden Glen apartments directly across the street from the main gate of Dobbins Airforce base. I paid $425 a month for a 2 bed 2 bath apartment. It was nice 20 years ago. I haven't been back since, and wonder what the area is like now.
I do remember that all directions started at the Big Chicken. I also loved eating at the Rib Express on Roswell road. Is it still there?

Old 11-22-2008, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,823 times
I moved to a resort style apartment home on the Chattahoochee River called Rockledge. It's really been nice living close to the interstates and having my own path down to the national park. plus i am really excited about the rock wall and movie theater that they are building. It may be above your $600 dollar price range but it is worth checking out?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta