Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 01:01 PM

115 posts, read 424,027 times

Advertisements

I have heard that they're "good," would you agree? Is there anyone here who has actually enrolled their children in them recently? If so, what were your experiences? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 06:03 AM

278 posts, read 1,108,835 times
I would be interested in hearing about deactur schools as well...I have heard they have some of the lowest student teacher ratio's in the state, but I'm not sure. I think they are also the best for Dekalb Co. But its hard to get into them just due to the fact you have to live inthe city of Decatur (which is kind of a small town really)

anyone else have insight on this???

Old 04-12-2007, 02:53 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Decatur City Schools have a very good reputation. Many of the Metro opinon leaders (media types, bureacrats, elected officials) live there. You pay very high property taxes for the priveledge of havig a very small school system.

You must live in the city of Decatur to utilize their schools. For a while, they allowed people to pay tuition to attend, but as their community has turned over this program has been phased out (at least at the elementary school level). They are very vigilant about proof of residence and will double check if there is any doubt where a family lives.

They are not part of DeKalb County Schools, they are their own school system. There are a few city school systems around the state (Atlanta, Buford, Marietta, for example).

I would not hesitate to use the schools there. They have a good superinendent... lots of innovation going on there.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 PM

40 posts, read 353,040 times
Post Decatur schools are very good

Yankee girl - I would highly recommend Decatur Schools. Decatur is a separate system from DeKalb and that is what makes it special. You pay out the wazoo in property taxes to live here... but as far as schools go.. you get what you pay for.

I have a child at Oakhurst Elementary and one at Glennwood Academy. Oakhurst is a lot of fun because they have a student run television station, and the kids have produced several shows that have won top awards at the International Student Media Festival.

The best thing about Decatur schools is that you can't go wrong at the elementary level. All of the elementary schools are excellent so just live where you want to live.

The teachers (and the principals) get to know the students well because the schools are so small. Oakhurst, Clairemont and Winnona (K-3 schools) are Expeditionary Learning Schools. To get more information on what that involves just Google Expeditionary Learning/Outward Bound. Glennwood (4th and 5th grade city wide) is about a year from being a fully certified International Baccalaureate School and Renfroe (middle school) is in the process of doing the same.

The elementary schools are in old, historic buildings but have all been renovated within the past couple of years so they are very nice inside. The middle and high schools are about to be renovated, getting new science labs at the high school and new gyms/auditoriums at both schools.

The schools are diverse, but the kids get along and make friends across socioeconomic/racial lines. Decatur has a ton of professors, doctors and lawyers, etc., so we have a lot of super smart kids. If you have a kid who is a "geek" he or she will find lots of company! About 25% of kids in the district are gifted identified, and they do a great job with them.

I would suggest that you check the schools out for yourself. My understanding is that they all have monthly tours and will let you sit in on a class.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:20 PM

6 posts, read 32,783 times
We may be moving to Decatur, and I was looking into the elementary schools in the City of Decatur. I was wondering about the tuition. Is that something that everyone pays or just those outside of the city limits?

Thanks!!

Old 04-13-2007, 05:23 AM

Only if you live outside the city and as I said, I don't think there are new tuition students anymore.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:02 PM

18 posts, read 119,650 times
I'm a graduate of Decatur High School and have a brother-in-law who teaches there. As some have commented, the outright tuition has been phased out in favor of a 'lottery' system. If your child is selected they are assured of a spot in the system from elemetary to high school.

The elementary school are now from 1st thru 3rd grades, with Oakhurst now reserved for 4th and fifth graders.

The high school is very diverse and the teacher/student ratio is around 15:1.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:19 PM

I was wrong. Apparently, Decatur schools do still accept tuition students if space is available and the system feels it can meet any special needs your child might have.

http://www.decatur-city.k12.ga.us/tuition.shtml

Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
$6,570 a year apparently.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:17 PM

40 posts, read 353,040 times
Default Quick Correction

Actually, Oakhurst does not serve 4th and 5th graders. Oakhurst, Clairemont and Winnona serve K-3 and Glennwood Academy serves 4-5.

Families who live outside of the city limits of Decatur can attend their schools if they pay $6750 (for '07-'08 year) and change per year per child and if there is room. At the K-3 level, all tuition students attend Oakhurst. There are about a dozen tuition students there now. Throughout the district, my understanding is that there are about 125 or so tuition students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta