Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 20,867 times

Advertisements

We are new to the private school application process and have been waitlisted at Lovett and Westminster. Can anyone advise me as to whether it is acceptable to call and politely ask why our child was waitlisted vs accepted while letting them know of our continued interest in the school? Also, do these schools have a typical number of children who are waitlisted? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 19,855 times
I believe it's okay to call, just not visit. I've wondered how long the WL is too? Maybe someone who knows will share. What grade are you applying to? This also determines how many openings there are.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:44 AM

Default Private School Waitlisted

Applying to 5th grade

Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
I wouldn't take it personally. I don't believe 5th grade is an expansion grade at either of those schools. If I am right, the only spaces that would be available would be from attrition and those are schools that have lots of old money families that will be less impacted by the economic downturn. In addition, Westminster is so wealthy that expanding its financial aide to keep current students shouldn't be a problem.

The good thing is that your children weren't rejected, this gives you an edge for next year when there is expansion. The schools will see how interested you are in them when you reapply.

I don't think I would ask about why we weren't accepted, but I certainly think I would express my interest should a space become available.

There is much speculation that this year the private schools will be taking a larger wait list than normal because there is so much uncertainty about who will really show up in August.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:31 AM

Default Private School Waitlisted

Thanks lastminutemom! In their literature, the schools post that for 5th grade, Lovett had expansion for 20 and Westminster 10. We aren't taking it personally, but we would love to know what "weaknesss" (for lack of better terms) there was.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
My cousin's daughter got waitlisted at UGA(she has been accepted at a couple of other schools but really wants GA)...Cuz just took her up to Athens to introduce herself to some of the Admissions Committee personnel...she thought it couldn't hurt, and they were en route to TN anyway.
Point being, it doesn't hurt to be proactive sometimes.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:35 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
I agree that a phone call (but e-mail is probably preferable as it doesn't take up a lot of their time) to express your continued interest is appropriate. Don't, though, tell both of them that they are your first choice and you would accept a spot if you would really hold out for one vs. the other. That might put you on the "bad" list for next year.

I think that admissions directors are willing to meet with wait-listed/rejected families after the "quiet period" is over. When all the craziness is over (maybe first of May), I'd consider setting up an appointment to meet with them if you don't get off a wait list by then.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Interesting. Did your child have good statistics?

I have had friends call whose children have been rejected and who have received very solid information about why. Waitlist is a bit more blurry as the school is saying they will take you if there is space. Admissions are very subjective but very often there is little difference between candidates. Some schools like to balance boys and girls, so if there are more of one gender in an applicant pool even something like that can be a disadvantage.

Again, I think your best bet is to simply let the school know that you are interested enough to take a space should one become available.

Are you in public school now?

CMMom gives you good advice. I would certainly send an email now expressing interest and remaining on the wait list and then contact them later this month.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Remember that the waitlist isn't just one long list where someone in admissions could tell you that "you are number 11 out of 20". They move people off the wait list in coordination with who has turned them down as they are trying to keep things like gender and diversity in some sort of balance. For instance, if a 5th grade girl turns down one of your schools and you have a 5th grade girl, you might get an offer before a boy would. I am sure that diversity plays some role in this process as well, but I would imagine that that is a tightly held concept.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 AM

28 posts, read 120,163 times
Hi -- lastminutemom's wise advice makes a lot of sense to me. Best of luck, and I hope you get in.

We applied this year too, for 7th grade. Read my ramblings about waitlists on another thread in this forum: nervous for private school admission letters? . Our problem is that we've been accepted at one place, so we have to decide whether to go with it or to hope a waitlist spot opens up at Westminster or Lovett. I'd love it if the schools could call us before 4/16/09 with an offer, but I'm not holding my breath. I bet they don't start drawing from the waitlist until the reply period is over. I wouldn't if I ran a school, unless almost every offer I made was turned down immeadiately. Heck, they don't even know yet how many folks really still want to be on their waitlists.

Let's encourage everybody who actually got in somewhere to go ahead and commit, and then that same day to tell any other schools they appplied to that they won't be coming, so the schools can know where they stand, and can start pulling from the wait list!

Our family wants to commit as soon as we can, but there's some hard thinking to do today and tomorrow. I'll post somewhere in the forum what we decide.

-Hex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: