Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times

Advertisements

...front page of USA Today online (ahh ignore the apstrophe s above )

Mexican cartels plague Atlanta - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM

341 posts, read 1,337,859 times
Default Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL..... This is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the uproar about trying to keep MARTA out for fear of "those thugs from Atlanta" going up there. When the whole time the Juarez, Gulf, and Sinolia Cartel are about to turn Gwinnett into a 2010 version of Miami Vice. Good job Gwinnett, now the whole country knows your little secret!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats really funny is how people like to say that illegal immigrants breed crime also, but most of them are Mestizo, basically they are Native Americans or just plain Indians. The Mexicans who are in Cartels are usually White Mexicans from the richer familes, and they look more like people in Spain (white) than they do Mestizos.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM

239 posts, read 922,856 times
"federal law enforcement officials say Atlanta has emerged as the new gateway to the troubled Southwest border."

Maybe I'm slow... but I'm having a hard time grasping how Atlanta could function as a gateway to the Southwest border. Last time I drove to Texas it took about 13 hours. Thats one long gateway!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM

970 posts, read 2,950,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post
"federal law enforcement officials say Atlanta has emerged as the new gateway to the troubled Southwest border."

Maybe I'm slow... but I'm having a hard time grasping how Atlanta could function as a gateway to the Southwest border. Last time I drove to Texas it took about 13 hours. Thats one long gateway!
Agreed.

Unless....well, maybe Atlanta & Houston ARE cooperating on something! lol

Old 03-09-2009, 12:53 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,211 times
well, let's not kid ourselves. I think we all know this has been going on in gwinnett for quite some time

Old 03-09-2009, 12:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
LOL..... This is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the uproar about trying to keep MARTA out for fear of "those thugs from Atlanta" going up there.
I keep on hearing about this uproar against MARTA expansion, but I haven't seen it. Only references to long past occurrences.

Has something current been proposed and shot down in Gwinnett?

Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Has something current been proposed and shot down in Gwinnett?
Not long ago they did a "fake vote" to decide if they would even allow a real vote there on it. I think it was something like 51% voted no, 49% yes, or something.

But the controversy was more from the wording; most folks would vote yes if it had asked if they would support a rapid rail system there (which would be run by Gwinnett), but they worded it as simply a MARTA expansion, so many people got turned off by it. Whether that has anything to do with racism, or the sheer fact that MARTA doesn't have a good reputation with managing their money very well we'll never know. But at least according to the results, people there do want rail - they just don't want MARTA to run it. Either way, due to that fake vote, I think it was dropped and won't even be put on ballots anytime soon for people to vote for.

What would be an interesting scenerio
: Gwinnett is the largest and most populated county in the U.S. that has next to nothing for public transit (we won't even consider Gwinnett transit anything to talk about). It would be interesting if Washington came up with a demand - "Connect to a rail system, or, lose all Federal road money". It wouldn't matter if they connected to MARTA, started their own system that connected to MARTA and they ran, or whatever, but force a hand that they would have to do something more significant than they have to take cars off the roads, or, lose all of their Federal road money. Likewise, the other rapidly growing suburban counties here and elsewhere would be faced with the same "choice". Hey, in order to have progress, sometimes you have to tell, and not ask.

One thing's for sure - the Mexican drug lords sure didn't need any kind of rail to settle in Gwinnett. They can't blame MARTA on that. They are firmly in place there and it has nothing to do with buses or trains or blimps for that matter. They came in on four wheeled vehicles.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post

LOL!!! I know... How? I don't get it... Like gaflsc said, maybe Houston and Atlanta are conspiring...

Do they run across the border and just keep running until they get tired and look up and they just so happen to be in Atlanta?
Kidding...

Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Do they run across the border and just keep running until they get tired and look up and they just so happen to be in Atlanta?
Kidding...

Judging by how painfully difficult my recent DIY landscaping project was, and how easy Mexicans make it look, I wouldn't be surprised if they could run from Texas to Georgia without taking a break.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM

513 posts, read 1,632,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
well, let's not kid ourselves. I think we all know this has been going on in gwinnett for quite some time
Yeah, but I didn't realize it was worse than Los Angeles. That's eye-opening to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta