Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,745,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Judging by how painfully difficult my recent DIY landscaping project was, and how easy Mexicans make it look, I wouldn't be surprised if they could run from Texas to Georgia without taking a break.
LOL!!! Wow... I'm a quarter Mexican.

When I was moving, I asked two guys (think they were from El Salvador) to help me. JUST TWO, and I have furniture to fill a 4 bedroom house. JUST THE TWO of them moved EVERYTHING in 4 hours!!! IT WAS AMAZING!!!! I WAS SO AMAZED!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 01:54 PM

16,729 posts, read 29,609,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Not long ago they did a "fake vote" to decide if they would even allow a real vote there on it. I think it was something like 51% voted no, 49% yes, or something.

But the controversy was more from the wording; most folks would vote yes if it had asked if they would support a rapid rail system there (which would be run by Gwinnett), but they worded it as simply a MARTA expansion, so many people got turned off by it. Whether that has anything to do with racism, or the sheer fact that MARTA doesn't have a good reputation with managing their money very well we'll never know. But at least according to the results, people there do want rail - they just don't want MARTA to run it. Either way, due to that fake vote, I think it was dropped and won't even be put on ballots anytime soon for people to vote for.

What would be an interesting scenerio: Gwinnett is the largest and most populated county in the U.S. that has next to nothing for public transit (we won't even consider Gwinnett transit anything to talk about). It would be interesting if Washington came up with a demand - "Connect to a rail system, or, lose all Federal road money". It wouldn't matter if they connected to MARTA, started their own system that connected to MARTA and they ran, or whatever, but force a hand that they would have to do something more significant than they have to take cars off the roads, or, lose all of their Federal road money. Likewise, the other rapidly growing suburban counties here and elsewhere would be faced with the same "choice". Hey, in order to have progress, sometimes you have to tell, and not ask.

One thing's for sure - the Mexican drug lords sure didn't need any kind of rail to settle in Gwinnett. They can't blame MARTA on that. They are firmly in place there and it has nothing to do with buses or trains or blimps for that matter. They came in on four wheeled vehicles.
(see highlighted above)

I like this, Greg...I like it a lot.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 PM

248 posts, read 650,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
...Mexican drug lords sure didn't need any kind of rail to settle in Gwinnett. They can't blame MARTA on that. They are firmly in place there and it has nothing to do with buses or trains or blimps for that matter. They came in on four wheeled vehicles.
Good point. Also, I can't imagine anyone -- no matter how brazen and unscrupulous -- carting boxes (or whatever they use) of pot, cocaine and laundered cash onto a MARTA train. That's all going to be traveling in a large vehicle on I-85. Small-time dealers could ride trains and buses, but that's about it.

Speaking of small-time dealers and MARTA, I watched a drug sale go down in the crowded Arts Center station Saturday around noon, with tourists and families waiting to go from the High Museum to their next stop standing nearby and a few looking on in horror. I just wanted to apologize on behalf of the city.

If any tourists who saw that deal are reading this now -- I'm so sorry! There were absolutely no police, security or MARTA staff of any kind in sight. Would somebody please fund these jokers so we could have a train system with decent security?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:08 PM

341 posts, read 1,339,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post
"federal law enforcement officials say Atlanta has emerged as the new gateway to the troubled Southwest border."

Maybe I'm slow... but I'm having a hard time grasping how Atlanta could function as a gateway to the Southwest border. Last time I drove to Texas it took about 13 hours. Thats one long gateway!
Easy, Atlanta sits at the bottom of the southeast, this is the gateway to the entire east coast. Houston is closer to Mexico, but outside of that there is nothing east, west, or north of Houston for a long way. Stop being naive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I keep on hearing about this uproar against MARTA expansion, but I haven't seen it. Only references to long past occurrences.

Has something current been proposed and shot down in Gwinnett?
I dont know, but I was actually making a small peice of social commentary, rather than commenting on a recent event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Yeah, but I didn't realize it was worse than Los Angeles. That's eye-opening to me.

Atlanta has been a drug hub for a few years now, I have freinds who are in that line of work out of state, and to hear them tell it Atlanta is like the Wal-Mart of illegal drugs, everything is cheaper and in bigger quantities here. People come here to get wholesale amounts of drugs and then go back to their respective cities to sell them. The same thing that made Atlanta boom intially (being a transportation hub) is now what turned Atlant into this.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Atlanta has been a drug hub for a few years now, I have freinds who are in that line of work out of state, and to hear them tell it Atlanta is like the Wal-Mart of illegal drugs, everything is cheaper and in bigger quantities here. People come here to get wholesale amounts of drugs and then go back to their respective cities to sell them. The same thing that made Atlanta boom intially (being a transportation hub) is now what turned Atlant into this.
I agree. This was my point in the thread about Atlanta gangs.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Yeah, but I didn't realize it was worse than Los Angeles. That's eye-opening to me.

Also I dont know if your familiar with BMF, but a few years ago when they got busted that should have let everyone know that Atlanta had a serious problem with drugs. BMF moved thousand of kilos of cocaine of month from Atlanta to St. Louis, LA, South Carolina and all points in between, and they were getting it from the cartel. How else could a crew of low life street level drug dealers all of the sudden start moving and selling cocaine by the ton, all across the United States in the matter of a few years????

Old 03-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
Also I dont know if your familiar with BMF, but a few years ago when they got busted that should have let everyone know that Atlanta had a serious problem with drugs. BMF moved thousand of kilos of cocaine of month from Atlanta to St. Louis, LA, South Carolina and all points in between, and they were getting it from the cartel. How else could a crew of low life street level drug dealers all of the sudden start moving and selling cocaine by the ton, all across the United States in the matter of a few years????
Agreed again... LOL...

Cause it's not like those dope boys are going overseas, farming and growing the drugs themselves, THEN using their boats to get them to America, THEN going around selling them in people's neighborhoods... They must be getting it from someone else... The cartels apparently.

But here's a question: WHY ATLANTA? Why is Atlanta like a Wal-Mart for drug selling? Why is it cheaper to get it in Atlanta than NY or Houston or Miami??? Why the price difference? Can't be because there are cheaper homes......

Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Agreed again... LOL...

Cause it's not like those dope boys are going overseas, farming and growing the drugs themselves, THEN using their boats to get them to America, THEN going around selling them in people's neighborhoods... They must be getting it from someone else... The cartels apparently.

But here's a question: WHY ATLANTA? Why is Atlanta like a Wal-Mart for drug selling? Why is it cheaper to get it in Atlanta than NY or Houston or Miami??? Why the price difference? Can't be because there are cheaper homes......

Your guess is as good as mine!!! But I know a kilo of cocaine is about 7-13K cheaper on the streets here in Atlanta than say in New York or another major city up north. So why would a drug dealer in Harlem buy a kilo up there, when he can just drive down to Atlanta and get one for a lot cheaper? Why that is, I guess only the heads of those organizations know why. And the Wal-Mart thing wasn't a joke, I have family back in Chicago that actually call Atlanta Wal-Mart or ATL-Mart for that very reason. People who know about these types of things (like you and I) have known about Atlanta for years now, its just obvious by this thread that most people in this city had no clue about what has been going on under their noses!!!!! No pun intended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 PM

16,729 posts, read 29,609,951 times
I think Atlanta should try to promote this new status into some kind of slogan or tourist/ad campaign!

Think about the possibilities!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think Atlanta should try to promote this new status into some kind of slogan or tourist/ad campaign!

Think about the possibilities!
Let me try, let me try
"all the birds fly south to Atlanta......"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta