Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

As usual the Cobb Schools came through for us who live here. As other distrcts wimped out by using yesterday's LIGHT snow that ended by 5PM as an EXCUSE to take a day off, we have school in Cobb today. The fact is that there was not good reason for ANY district to cancel school today EXCEPT Athens/Clarke County which has alot more standing snow to deal with. As far as the rest of the metro, there is no snow in the streets and they are bone dry. Good for Cobb and Douglas and shame on the others!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
There were areas of Metro Atlanta that got more accumulation...my area in Fulton County got 3"...plus there was a significant amount of ice on the roads this morning.

What do you mean by "came through"? That has a suspicious ring to it...I don't see any need to risk injuries to students riding buses that must travel all the back roads and small residential streets that get very little traffic and can be dangerous when the main streets are clear. It's the first weather cancellation this school year I believe.

I think Paulding County was in school today as well. Obviously the west and northwest sectors didn't get as much snow as many other areas. It was still snowing at my house well past 5:00 - more like 8:00 or later - and it snowed hard all afternoon.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
This is a state in which counties call off school when it's too "cold", so really, for some parts of the metro like the city of Atlanta itself, this snow day is a joke. But, one of my friends told me that there are built in snow-days to the schedule, so you use them or lose them. Hence, when the smallest event occurs, then I guess school systems feel justified in calling off school.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
This is a state in which counties call off school when it's too "cold", so really, for some parts of the metro like the city of Atlanta itself, this snow day is a joke. But, one of my friends told me that there are built in snow-days to the schedule, so you use them or lose them. Hence, when the smallest event occurs, then I guess school systems feel justified in calling off school.
You may have a point with that. And considering that we are close to spring now this may be the last (pray to God) winter weather event for this year so they decided to take advantage of it.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There were areas of Metro Atlanta that got more accumulation...my area in Fulton County got 3"...plus there was a significant amount of ice on the roads this morning.

What do you mean by "came through"? That has a suspicious ring to it...I don't see any need to risk injuries to students riding buses that must travel all the back roads and small residential streets that get very little traffic and can be dangerous when the main streets are clear. It's the first weather cancellation this school year I believe.

I think Paulding County was in school today as well. Obviously the west and northwest sectors didn't get as much snow as many other areas. It was still snowing at my house well past 5:00 - more like 8:00 or later - and it snowed hard all afternoon.
What "came through" means is that they came through for thousands of parents here who would have had to miss a work day or otherwise find last minute care for their children today.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Cobb had a real dilemma (I was at a meeting this morning where this was discussed) because some parts of Cobb got almost no snow.

However, on the way to my meeting I passed at least 5 schools that had parking lots that were totally iced over. Streets are clear because most people where out and about yesterday and then the wind came in and blew away what was left. Not on unused parking lots...

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As usual the Cobb Schools came through for us who live here. As other distrcts wimped out by using yesterday's LIGHT snow that ended by 5PM as an EXCUSE to take a day off, we have school in Cobb today. The fact is that there was not good reason for ANY district to cancel school today EXCEPT Athens/Clarke County which has alot more standing snow to deal with. As far as the rest of the metro, there is no snow in the streets and they are bone dry. Good for Cobb and Douglas and shame on the others!
Cobb almost completely dodged the bullet in regards to the snowstorm yesterday while the southwestern, eastern, and northeastern portions of the metro got blanketed with 3". In a lot of areas the slush froze overnight--turning roads into sheets of ice. Now you can talk all the trash you want, but driving on untreated ice is very risky.

Before you or anyone else even begins to criticize me, I was raised in Wisconsin. Back there, we knew how to drive on snow, but at the same time our roads were plowed and salted promptly so that we never had to drive in extremely hazzardous conditions. Untreated ice is a whole new ballgame and if you trust putting your kids on a bus in those conditions then be my guest. My guess is that others wouldn't.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
There was a serious accident with 2 fatalities in Cobb County yesterday/last night.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:46 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Most school systems across the country will cancel school in the event of frigid conditions that may endanger students. Many families can't afford decent/warm winter clothing and the kids may be standing at the bus stop in 2 degree weather - not a good idea. It varies depending on the location, but in a city like Atlanta where less warm winter clothing is needed, there are too many kids that don't have any.

There are built-in snow days...for the students. Teachers have to make up each day off.

This was the largest snowfall I can remember for at least a couple of years...not exactly a small event.

KevK...that's what I thought you meant when you stated that "Cobb County schools came through". I would hope you want the school system to make decisions with your child's safety in mind - not have child care at all cost because you have to work. Believe me, the administration does not take it lightly when making a decision to cancel school. They look at every area of the district for dangerous conditions and try very hard to make the right decsion. They would rather have school in session, but it isn't always possible.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
There was a serious accident with 2 fatalities in Cobb County yesterday/last night.
There are serious accidents almost daily in metro Atlanta. Perhaps we should just cancel school altogether to avoid people from having to drive in traffic?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I just don't buy into "reasons" like this for the cancellation of school when every major road in the city of Atlanta was completely fine. Of course it is terrible that people died because of icy roads (I assume that is the cause), but stopping an entire region because of that is just not practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta