Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 AM

9 posts, read 32,334 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all those that answered my first post.We've narrowed our search down to two schools, Pope and Lassiter. Can someone let me know the difference bewteen these two High Schools? Anything you share will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
My child attends Lassiter. I think it's a very good high school. By all accounts, so is Pope.

Here's one difference between the two that might have been important, but it seems to be going away. Lassiter currently follows a "traditional" schedule while Pope uses a "block" schedule. However, it seems Pope will be switching over to the "traditional" schedule, starting with the 2009/2010 school year. Some people have very strong opinions, pro and con, about these two approaches to class scheduling.

Honestly, I think you'd be hard pressed to find really substantive differences between the two. Pope gets very slightly higher test scores usually, I think, but the difference just doesn't look significant. Lassiter's music programs are probably more renowned (their marching band has won the grand national championship twice). If your child has a strong interest in something specific like orchestra or football, it might be worth trying to delve into whether there's any differences between the two schools' offerings in that area. Otherwise, I'm sure either school would be a fine choice.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
My child attends Lassiter. I think it's a very good high school. By all accounts, so is Pope.

Here's one difference between the two that might have been important, but it seems to be going away. Lassiter currently follows a "traditional" schedule while Pope uses a "block" schedule. However, it seems Pope will be switching over to the "traditional" schedule, starting with the 2009/2010 school year. Some people have very strong opinions, pro and con, about these two approaches to class scheduling.

Honestly, I think you'd be hard pressed to find really substantive differences between the two. Pope gets very slightly higher test scores usually, I think, but the difference just doesn't look significant. Lassiter's music programs are probably more renowned (their marching band has won the grand national championship twice). If your child has a strong interest in something specific like orchestra or football, it might be worth trying to delve into whether there's any differences between the two schools' offerings in that area. Otherwise, I'm sure either school would be a fine choice.
Yes, Rainy sums it up pretty well. There is really no real difference between the two schools except for the schedules (and like she said, Pope is transitioning back to the "tradional" schedule over the next year. This year, they are using a hybrid schedule...my niece at Pope says it's "unique".)

When Kell High School opened a few years ago and the western third of the Lassiter district was rezoned to Kell, that's when the Lassiter and Pope districts became almost identical.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:07 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Agree with the two above, hard to find much difference. Pope is a girls softball powerhouse, Lassiter is the Valdosta High of Marching Bands. I think the main difference, do you look Carolina Blue and Greyhounds or Maroon and Gold and Trojans?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:35 PM

256 posts, read 749,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, Rainy sums it up pretty well. There is really no real difference between the two schools except for the schedules (and like she said, Pope is transitioning back to the "tradional" schedule over the next year. This year, they are using a hybrid schedule...my niece at Pope says it's "unique".)

When Kell High School opened a few years ago and the western third of the Lassiter district was rezoned to Kell, that's when the Lassiter and Pope districts became almost identical.
So one of them was worse before Lassiter was rezoned?

Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
So one of them was worse before Lassiter was rezoned?
First of all, I would never use "worse" when comparing most schools.

The western third of the Lassiter district (prior to Kell's opening) was more middle-class, not upper-middle class. This part attends McCleskey Middle School. So, it's rezoning made the leftover Lassiter district very much like Pope's...which is predominantly upper-middle class.

Kell and Sprayberry are the more "middle class" parts of East Cobb...but each still have their "upper-middle class" corridors.
The funny thing is that Kell's upper-middle class corridors were mainly rezoned from North Cobb High School and some from Sprayberry High School (Chestnut Hill, Chastain Lakes, Edgemere East, areas down Wooten Lake Road, Thornwood, Lake Latimer, etc...the former Lassiter part has some upper-middle though--Willow Creek, Stockton Chase)

Sprayberry's upper-middle corridors are down East Piedmont Road, Ebenezer Road, Trickum Road, Allgood Road, Post Oak Tritt Road, Shaw Road, and western Blackwell Road.

Kell's opening took somewhat of a upper-middle class toll on Sprayberry and North Cobb...especially North Cobb.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
North Cobb -- one of the best kept secrets of Cobb County.

My two Tech students graduated from North Gwinnett but we were fortunate to have had at least one year at North Cobb -- what an amazing year that was!!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
North Cobb -- one of the best kept secrets of Cobb County.

My two Tech students graduated from North Gwinnett but we were fortunate to have had at least one year at North Cobb -- what an amazing year that was!!!!
Yes, North Cobb is still a great high school and one of Cobb's best kept secrets. They have high community spirit and support, top academics, and excellent athletics. Superb magnet program too (Social Science-International Studies).

Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,076 times
I think really the only difference would be which one puts you in a house closer to work. That is the reason we ultimately decided on Pope. Both schools have excellent reputations. I would not think twice about sending my kids to either. But for just that extra 10-15 minutes with my husband every night, we went with a home in the Pope district. Had Lassiter homes been closer we'd be there.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I think really the only difference would be which one puts you in a house closer to work. That is the reason we ultimately decided on Pope. Both schools have excellent reputations. I would not think twice about sending my kids to either. But for just that extra 10-15 minutes with my husband every night, we went with a home in the Pope district. Had Lassiter homes been closer we'd be there.
I know there is some local snobbery about Cobb schools, but all in all I would say this about any school in Cobb from Hillgrove up to Harrison, Allatoona, Kennesaw Mtn, N. Cobb, Sprayberry, Kell, Wheeler and Walton along with the two mentioned. Marietta and McEachern were well regarded when I was there thru the 90s and early part of this decade, might have slid down the scale some since. Campbell in Smyrna should be on the upswing with all the upscale growth in Smyrna and with the recent announcement of the redevelopment of Belmont Hills right at its backdoor and home to the International Baccalaureate program.

The only high schools in Cobb I would be wary of would be Osborne, South Cobb and Pebblebrook and there are positives about these schools as well. Just read a great article about the principal at Osborne and how he is working hard to turn around the graduation rate there at a school that has a very high transient population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta