Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 PM

4 posts, read 17,664 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, we are relocating to ATL this coming month (from Phoenix)- I've been doing alot of research on where to buy a home and have narrowed down to Mableton (although it gets confusing with every one having a different opinion). I've been looking at some homes and when I map them, there seems to be an airport nearby- can anyone tell me anything about this area in Mableton, around that airport? Husband will be working at Coca Cola headquarters, so we didn't want to go too far out- looking at homes in the 250-300k range- thank you for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 10:08 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,097,230 times
Default Good Old Charlie Brown

That would be Brown Field, wouldn't it? Operated by Fulton County, home to several large corporate jets and many private planes.

That area is being called Mableton now?

I'm familiar with the Fulton Industrial via Hollowell Parkway route to the airport. It's an area where you pray the traffic light won't turn red while you're on those roads at night and I sure wouldn't want to live near that area myself.

Check on that map to find how close the homes would be to Hollowell Parkway (which used to be named Bankhead Highway, notorious for crime from the Bankhead Courts projects). I've heard it's getting better to the west of that area and I've seen some new subdivisions behind gates and fences.

I'm not sure how close to the airport you are talking about, though.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 15,470 times
That is Brown Airport and it is in the industrial part of Mableton closer to Fulton County. Mableton is an unincorporated city within Cobb County. It is an up and coming city in the midst of a mini boom due to it's location. It is accessible to two major interstates, I-285 and I-20. It is approximately 15 miles from downtown Atlanta. There are many subdivisions poping up in Mableton and only 1 is gated (Providence). There are a few multi-million dollar communities which are not gated and are home to some of Atlanta's top entertainers and athletes. As it regards Bankhead Court Projects, a major developer is currently exercising an option to purchase and redevelop that area to possibly turn it in to a mix-use development (i.e. single family homes, condos, retail, and restaurants). I have lived in Cobb County for almost a decade and the Mableton area for over 2 years, and I have seen some major changes. Mableton is on target to be one of Metro- Atlanta's best kept secrets, especially with the new charter school opening and future developments in the area. As a Realtor I've sold homes in this area and I always show my clients Mableton first and then Smyrna. Mableton also has the only ampitheater north of I-20, and they have great concerts for the family. <EDIT> The price point that you are interested in is right on for this area.

Last edited by xxman777; 03-13-2007 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Advertising

Old 03-14-2007, 10:49 AM

426 posts, read 2,322,958 times
Brown Field, a.k.a. Charlie Brown Airport is in ATLANTA. It does not lie IN Mableton but near it. Mableton is in Cobb County and that airport is in Fulton.

And for the price range you are looking in Mableton offers the most value. It is close to downtown and is close to every commercial ammentie you can think of. The area in Atlanta off of Hollowell Pkwy(formerly Bankhead) is a VERY seedy area and should be feared at night time. BUT, the only reason you would have to go into those areas is the short drive(about 1.5 miles) from I-285 to the river into Cobb County where Mableton begins. There arent any sidewalks that connect Atlanta and Mableton over the river and once the street becomes Veterans Memorial Hwy. the entire neighborhood changes. There are still alot of wholesale warehouses and some industrial sites in that area of Mableton but you can see that they are being torn down to make way for more residential and commercial growth. The schools are average at best but that will change too as the area continues to gentrify. If you buy now, you will definately see a nice return on your investment in ten years.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:57 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,097,230 times
Yet the center of Mableton is only about 4 or 5 miles from Charlie Brown airport.

If real estate agents are trying to sell the airport/Bankhead area to out-of-towners as "Mableton", then shame on them.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,098,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceci View Post
Hello everyone, we are relocating to ATL this coming month (from Phoenix)- I've been doing alot of research on where to buy a home and have narrowed down to Mableton (although it gets confusing with every one having a different opinion). I've been looking at some homes and when I map them, there seems to be an airport nearby- can anyone tell me anything about this area in Mableton, around that airport? Husband will be working at Coca Cola headquarters, so we didn't want to go too far out- looking at homes in the 250-300k range- thank you for any info
I would look for housing north of Veterans Memorial Highway, or south of it but well away from (west of) the river.

The best general area I'm aware of in Mableton (in terms of quality of housing) is the stretch bounded by Veterans Memorial to the south, the E/W Connector to the north, Floyd Road to the west, and Highland Road to the east. That's where we spent our time looking two years ago -- that, and in Smyrna just to the north of Mableton.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:24 AM

4 posts, read 17,664 times
thank you everyone for your input- what do you think of the area south of Veterans Memorial Hwy of Queen Mill Rd? More specifically a subdivision called the Estates? There are alot of homes for sale in that area, so I don't know if that's a bad sign???

thanks again!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,098,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceci View Post
thank you everyone for your input- what do you think of the area south of Veterans Memorial Hwy of Queen Mill Rd? More specifically a subdivision called the Estates? There are alot of homes for sale in that area, so I don't know if that's a bad sign???
Are they new homes? If so, it probably isn't a bad sign. :-)

Old 03-30-2007, 01:24 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,540,449 times
I actually live in the area AND work at Coke....it is phenomenal for driving to work. It's seriously 20 minutes all via backroads (ie, no worries of an accident causing a delay). The longest it's ever taken me to drive to or from work is 40 minutes, and that was one time when I picked the wrong route to try to experiment. The area, in general, is in development, but you will not find new homes in your price range anywhere near Atlanta otherwise. If you need to pick an area in "redevelopment mode" Mableton (yes, this area IS officially called Mableton) is your best bet. The Estates are a bit cheaper than a lot of other developments and, quite honestly, if I were you I would look at buying a re-sale in one of the following developments that is "like new"....Providence, Vinings Place, Vinings Cove, Vinings Plantation. I have lived in Providence for 2 years and it is a great development. I am actually moving to Dunwoody, though, to be closer to family Moderator cut: removed advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta