Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:52 AM

16 posts, read 47,935 times

Advertisements

We're looking at relocating from the UK to Atlanta. We have two children, one in her 3rd year of school in Year 2 (dob 10/24/01) and another due to start Reception in Sept 2009 (dob 11/5/04). My youngest is absolutely desperate to start school next year, he's already starting to read and has been identified at his nursery school as gifted & talented (as is my eldest).

So it's with horror that I've found out that my youngest will not be able to start K until August 2010!!! And the Pre-K provision appears to be quite sketchy. Is this true? Also does that mean that my eldest will have to repeat the 2nd Grade? Or is there provision for them to enter elementary school at the same level they've been educated to in the UK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 AM

52 posts, read 171,135 times
I took this from the GA Dept. of Education website:

A child must be five years old on or before September 1 to enter a public Kindergarten. The child must be six years old on or before September 1 to enter first grade. School systems must verify age before enrollment.

A child who was a legal resident of one or more states for a period of two years immediately prior to moving to Georgia and who was legally enrolled in either a public Kindergarten or first grade, or a private Kindergarten or first grade accredited by a state or regional association, would be eligible to enroll in Georgia schools, provided that the Kindergartner is five years old by December 31 or the first grader is six by that date.

To me, this means your daughter will not have to repeate the 2nd grade, but your son will not be able to start Kindergarten until September 2010.

I, personally, do not see that as a bad thing, although you might. I, mistakenly, put my 4 year-old (with a birthday in late October) into Kindergarten. Like your child, he was very intellectually gifted, but maturity wise, he was younger than the other kids who had been 5 for sometime and for those that were 6. This is something he carries with him to this day (he's 10 now), as he has always been the youngest and most immature in his class. All children are different, naturally, but I think there is often pressure (at least here anyway) to push kids to reach levels that they may not be emotionally or mature enough for, although they may be intellectually at that level.

Pre-K, if you choose wisely, does not mean that your son will be sitting playing down all day without learning anything. Different Pre-K's work differently. My daughter, who is 3, is in a class where she is required to sign her name in when she comes in. They read, do excercises to learn letters and writing, play with a computer in the classroom, etc.

Will you be applying to private schools, or will your kids go to public schools? I am applying to private for both of mine, but am not opposed to public assuming we are able to live in the area for a good one, like Inman.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 AM

Thanks for your reply. Funnily enough, of the two, my eldest is the one I'd be most reluctant to put with older children. But it's good to know that she'd not have to repeat the 2nd grade if we don't want her to. It's just that my youngest will have been in nursery school for almost 2 years by then. They start the term after they reach 3, in this case in January, and are just there for half a day. So he's desperate to start school like his big sister. I'm also a bit worried about him 'jumping a year' when we return to the UK. But I agree that being with similarly-aged peers counts for a lot at that age.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
The Pre-K program in public schools is far from being playtime...I'm sure some private Pre-K situations are just that, but the public ones have a state mandated curriculum just like in grades K-12. Every part of the day has a purpose - "playtime" or "centers" (or whatever the teacher calls it) is for learning socialization skills, which are very important for a 4 year old.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:12 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMademoiselle View Post
I took this from the GA Dept. of Education website:

A child must be five years old on or before September 1 to enter a public Kindergarten. The child must be six years old on or before September 1 to enter first grade. School systems must verify age before enrollment.

A child who was a legal resident of one or more states for a period of two years immediately prior to moving to Georgia and who was legally enrolled in either a public Kindergarten or first grade, or a private Kindergarten or first grade accredited by a state or regional association, would be eligible to enroll in Georgia schools, provided that the Kindergartner is five years old by December 31 or the first grader is six by that date.

To me, this means your daughter will not have to repeate the 2nd grade, but your son will not be able to start Kindergarten until September 2010.

I, personally, do not see that as a bad thing, although you might. I, mistakenly, put my 4 year-old (with a birthday in late October) into Kindergarten. Like your child, he was very intellectually gifted, but maturity wise, he was younger than the other kids who had been 5 for sometime and for those that were 6. This is something he carries with him to this day (he's 10 now), as he has always been the youngest and most immature in his class. All children are different, naturally, but I think there is often pressure (at least here anyway) to push kids to reach levels that they may not be emotionally or mature enough for, although they may be intellectually at that level.

Pre-K, if you choose wisely, does not mean that your son will be sitting playing down all day without learning anything. Different Pre-K's work differently. My daughter, who is 3, is in a class where she is required to sign her name in when she comes in. They read, do excercises to learn letters and writing, play with a computer in the classroom, etc.

Will you be applying to private schools, or will your kids go to public schools? I am applying to private for both of mine, but am not opposed to public assuming we are able to live in the area for a good one, like Inman.
Very good post...and so true.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Pre-K program in public schools is far from being playtime...I'm sure some private Pre-K situations are just that, but the public ones have a state mandated curriculum just like in grades K-12. Every part of the day has a purpose - "playtime" or "centers" (or whatever the teacher calls it) is for learning socialization skills, which are very important for a 4 year old.
An interesting discussion of Pre-K programs in Atlanta>>>
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...e-schools.html

GA has set standards for Pre-K programs but current budget cuts for education mean fewer classrooms. There are many private Pre-K programs that meet the state requirements--some churches have excellent programs.

Schools that serve lower income populations receive funding from the state for Pre-K programs.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM

52 posts, read 171,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldtripp62 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Funnily enough, of the two, my eldest is the one I'd be most reluctant to put with older children. But it's good to know that she'd not have to repeat the 2nd grade if we don't want her to. It's just that my youngest will have been in nursery school for almost 2 years by then. They start the term after they reach 3, in this case in January, and are just there for half a day. So he's desperate to start school like his big sister. I'm also a bit worried about him 'jumping a year' when we return to the UK. But I agree that being with similarly-aged peers counts for a lot at that age.
I think you'll be presently surprised that Pre-K is not like preschool, but really helping kids prepare for school. My daughter LOVES it. She feels like she is at big kid school, wears a backpack everyday, etc.

Like you, I am learning about the GA schooling system. I am really looking at schools that are Pre-K to 5th/8th or 12th, so that my daughter has continuity and can be at the same school as her brother (which she is now). I think that helps with a smaller kid feeling like they're going to a real school.

My husband is French, and we've looked at the French school here, which operates like a regular French school in terms of how they do education and it's much more relaxed at preschool age than an American Pre-K. I'm still trying to figure out whether that's a good or a bad thing.

Anyway, if you want to know more about the schools I'm interested in (both public and private) feel free to PM me.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:29 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times
There are many programs for kids in Atlanta that miss the cutoff date. My daughter attended a young fives program in East Cobb with the identical curriculum as kindergarten. I feel for you as my child is extremely tall and towers over everyone in kindergarten!! Many programs are called Young Fives, Transitional kindergartens etc. I am in East Cobb so if you are coming my way I can help you out with recommendations. In these programs many kids are reading and very advanced. Also when your child gets to elementary in most public schools they TAG or ALP (Talented and gifted, Advanced learning program) which start in the second half of 1st grade. The kids take tests for admission and once in remain for the duration of their public education as long as they keep up their grades. It helps with the boredom for more advanced students. In East Cobb they do separate out those in kindergarten for reading and other skills if they are advanced.

Let me know if I can help you. I looked at many programs for my child. The best one I found was coincidentally the least expensive.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:11 AM

Thanks again for everyone's help! I'd love some more info re the best pre-k you found kaday as I need to reassure myself about all that. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldtripp62 View Post
Thanks again for everyone's help! I'd love some more info re the best pre-k you found kaday as I need to reassure myself about all that. Thanks!
Mt Zion United Mehtodist Church in East Cobb has a Young fives program that has the identical curriculum as the kindergartens in East Cobb. They do not include any religious studies in the class but they do celebrate Christian holidays (the public schools here do not). They offer special classes for science, music, Spanish etc. The cost, a year to two back was about $300 per month. It is five days a week from about 9-1:30. It is competitive to get in as they only offer 14 spots. We got on the waiting list and lucked out. Also Woodacres, a private school in Marietta (East Cobb) has a transitional kindergarten with a great reputation. Woodacres is more expensive, I think about $6500 per year with a similar curriculum. Sewell Mill Baptist church has a half day kindergarten which is also an excellent program very inexpensive...I am not sure what their age requirements are but worth checking out. I think Faith Lutheran Church has a full day transitional kindergarten which a friend recommended but it was a bit far from our home. All of these are in East Cobb. Let me know if you need any more help! I can e-mail you or private message you contact info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta