Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM

16 posts, read 92,052 times

Advertisements

Please help. We will be new to the area and have a few questions:

Can anyone tell me if there are any non denomination churches that have a diverse congregation in the area that truly work in the community to help people?

Are there any reasonably priced African American beauty salons and barber shops in the area?

Best place to grocery shop and best bakeries

How do you find local clubs (i.e. sweepers, book or wine tasting)? Are things like this posted in the local newspaper or just community events in general? We are looking for couple friends.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,504,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buteeful View Post

How do you find local clubs (i.e. sweepers, book or wine tasting)? Are things like this posted in the local newspaper or just community events in general? We are looking for couple friends.

Thank you for your help.
Throughout Atlanta people use a variety of resources to find networks. Creative Loafing, Atlanta's Entertainment Guide, lists ads for groups and services. You can pick up a copy in strip malls and libraries or visit the website. Craig's List is a website where all kinds of ads are posted.

There are local papers usually found in libraries that include similar ads.

Meetup.com is another online service which people utilize to connect.

hth

Old 11-01-2008, 12:54 PM

40 posts, read 160,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buteeful View Post

Can anyone tell me if there are any non denomination churches that have a diverse congregation in the area that truly work in the community to help people?

Are there any reasonably priced African American beauty salons and barber shops in the area?

Best place to grocery shop and best bakeries

Thank you for your help.

Not sure about the churches...

Reasonably priced here seems to be about $50 (wash/set) and there are many! I go to Levell's on Roswell Road, or Lucy and Maria's Dominican Salon on Franklin Rd. which is even cheaper ($25-30 wash/set).

Groceries depends on what you are looking for. There are MANY shops around, and how much you put towards food on your personal budget is going to depend on your store of preference. There are cheaper stores such as ALDI or Food Depot, Walmart, Kroger...and then a little better is Publix...there are many meat markets and bakeries, so that would be something that you could google or look on yellowpages.com. There are also farmer's markets who have delicious organic food like Whole Foods, which I prefer. It's more expensive, but it's worth it for your health and the taste.

In Marietta, there is www.mdjonline.com Marietta Daily Journal, www.ajc.com Atlanta Journal Constitution, or you can even look on www.craigslist.org.

There are many places to look, Atlanta is very big and full of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta