Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,856,291 times

Advertisements

Why is real estate in South Fulton so inexpensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 PM

13 posts, read 22,435 times
Southside has always been less expensive than the north side. Its closer to the airport, has the reputation of being near college park and east point. Back in the day, there were some nice areas of South Atlanta. A student of mine back in the early 60's used to live there, and now that I think of it she lived in East Point. Then, white flight happened. South fulton has never recovered. It is also to close to Clayton county!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 PM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorBrigman View Post
Southside has always been less expensive than the north side. Its closer to the airport, has the reputation of being near college park and east point. Back in the day, there were some nice areas of South Atlanta. A student of mine back in the early 60's used to live there, and now that I think of it she lived in East Point. Then, white flight happened. South fulton has never recovered. It is also to close to Clayton county!
Good Lord, they said on the news yesterday that Clayton County burglaries are up 33% in one year. Much of this is break-ins into the many empty houses there to collect copper tubing and whatever else is salvageable there. Dismal.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 AM

293 posts, read 902,432 times
Thanks God for this thread, I now know where not to go

Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 AM

111 posts, read 532,498 times
A lot of S. Fulton isn't cheap...there are plenty of houses $400k+ and even some for a million (if you could believe it).

S. Fulton suffers from a perception problem and the increase in foreclosures and bank owned properties only increased. The reality is that S. Fulton is only going to continue this way for a few years with a lot of big time developments coming to this side of town. It will take time (10+ years) but soon people will be relegated to living south of Newnan or west of Douglasville because everything else will have gone up so much in price.

And for those that don't believe me, no one wanted to live in East Orange or Newark, NJ....now you can't get a decent home for under $300k!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:04 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,505,599 times
'South of Newnan and West of Douglasville'
(Once considered 'No Man's Land' by some.)

I can only hope some transportation issues are addressed as these areas develop.

Georgia needs/deserves a stable economy and there is certainly room for more growth in all directions.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 AM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoufromNewYork View Post
A lot of S. Fulton isn't cheap...there are plenty of houses $400k+ and even some for a million (if you could believe it).

S. Fulton suffers from a perception problem and the increase in foreclosures and bank owned properties only increased. The reality is that S. Fulton is only going to continue this way for a few years with a lot of big time developments coming to this side of town. It will take time (10+ years) but soon people will be relegated to living south of Newnan or west of Douglasville because everything else will have gone up so much in price.

And for those that don't believe me, no one wanted to live in East Orange or Newark, NJ....now you can't get a decent home for under $300k!
I agree...there are plenty of positives re: south Fulton, especially if your work is related to the airport. County gov't could use a housecleaning IMHO, however.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie-Lydie View Post
Thanks God for this thread, I now know where not to go
Have you considered renting a house for a while and getting a feel for the "lay of the land", traffic patterns, etc. before actually buying a house?

We did that when we first arrived down here (lived in a rental for 9 months), and we're very glad that we did -- it gave us a chance to see exactly where we wanted to look for a house...

Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 PM

293 posts, read 902,432 times
Nop... I thought about it (inside) but I think we want to arrive, put our suitcases down, look around in that house, and feel we are starting on something solid...

We'll see, it is a dangerous bet I know. but just let's do it!

We don't like renting, but it is a good idea nevertheless. it is also an idea that we could repeat every year or 6 months when trying to find a better place...

I think we'll have both to make some sacrifices to find something suitable in the middle, for his work, and for what I like. It will be ok. It takes just a little longer than I thought it would.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:35 PM

340 posts, read 1,577,971 times
Supply and demand are main factors that determine the market prices. Also I think location, location, and location in real estate properties plays an important role in market. Who wants to buy a house in a less desirable neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta